Irish-Emmett

B1/B2 Renewal Irish living in Canada...Please Help!

24 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Well, you can apply for an ESTA and see if it’s granted. If it’s not then you’d have to apply for a B1/B2 again.

Thank You for replying on this.

I'm afraid that if I apply for the ESTA and be accepted for it, hit the border and be told that I have to have a B1/B2.

I know it's just me worrying...lol

If I try for the ESTA, Can I try it just to see or do I need to have a holiday date set for travel?

Afaik you technically don’t even need an ESTA for the land crossing, but if you have one it basically replaces the need for a visa, and seems to me the safest way to proceed if you’re not sure whether or not you need a visa.

33 minutes ago, accumbyte said:

Accumbyte, There is no question regarding a common conviction, like Drink Driving. The closest thing to conviction questions is these:

1. Have you ever been arrested or convicted for a crime that resulted in serious damage to property, or serious harm to another person or government authority?
  2. Have you ever violated any law related to possessing, using, or distributing illegal drugs?

1.  My conviction never resulted in serious damage to property, or serious harm to another person or government authority.

2.  My conviction doesn't relate to this.

25 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Afaik you technically don’t even need an ESTA for the land crossing, but if you have one it basically replaces the need for a visa, and seems to me the safest way to proceed if you’re not sure whether or not you need a visa.

I think I need one because I still hold an Irish Passport, and only on a Permanent Resident Card... I guess?

3 hours ago, Irish-Emmett said:

I think I need one because I still hold an Irish Passport, and only on a Permanent Resident Card... I guess?

Whether or not you “need” one, get one, just to find out whether you are ok with VWP or need a visa.

3 hours ago, Irish-Emmett said:

1.  My conviction never resulted in serious damage to property, or serious harm to another person or government authority.

2.  My conviction doesn't relate to this.

Answer "No" for both. If ESTA is approved you can travel with recent Irish and Canadian police certificates to show CBP if it comes up (and for your peace of mind).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.