Jump to content
Irish-Emmett

B1/B2 Renewal Irish living in Canada...Please Help!

24 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi Everyone,

 

This is my first post on this forum.

Ok so my story is this: I had a DUI conviction from 2005 and wanted to travel to USA to see my brother in 2008.  So in 2008 I applied for the B1/B2 Visa from Ireland And got it.

Now I live in Montreal, Canada and hold a Permanent Resident Card which I Received On Aug 2017 and Hold a Steady Job here.

I come to Canada in 2015 on a 2 year work permit/visa, so in 2016 I applied for the Permanent Resident Visa Under the Spousal Sponsorship with my Girlfriend, who is from Montreal (Holds a Canada Passport)

Oh I nearly forgot! My B1/B2 Visa expired on OCT 2018. I have looked somewhere and I think I can apply within 12 months after Expiration (Please Confirm)

I am looking to know a few things on how I renew My B1/B2 Visa From Canada:

1.  How do I apply from Canada

2.  Is it possible to apply from Canada, as my first U.S. B1/B2 Visa was Issued In Ireland

3.  See above question: My B1/B2 Visa expired on OCT 2018. I have looked somewhere and I think I can apply within 12 months after Expiration (Please Confirm)

 

Any help would be much appreciated.

 

Many Thanks

Edited by Irish-Emmett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) go to the US embassy/ consulate website for your area in Canada

 

2) yes, as long as you are a legal resident in Canada, which you said you are

 

3) not really sure what you mean by this. Expired is expired, my understanding is you will do a new B1/B2 all over again, even if you had a valid one before.

Edited by Alabamak1

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Alabamak1 said:

3) not really sure what you mean by this. Expired is expired, my understanding is you will do a new B1/B2 all over again, even if you had a valid one before.

Thanks for replying.

Yes, I am a legal Permanent Resident of Canada.

I got my first B1/B2 Visa in OCT 2008, so it expired on OCT 2018. I was wondering would that be an issue for renewal leaving it 3 months of not reapplying?

 

9 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

You can not do mail renewal since you are no longer in Ireland.  You apply for a new B1/B2 visa in Canada. 

Thank You. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Irish-Emmett said:

Thanks for replying.

Yes, I am a legal Permanent Resident of Canada.

I got my first B1/B2 Visa in OCT 2008, so it expired on OCT 2018. I was wondering would that be an issue for renewal leaving it 3 months of not reapplying?

 

No, it shouldn't be a problem.  You don't have to renew the visa before it expires. It would be a new Visa anyways, meaning new number etc. 


8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Alabamak1 said:

No, it shouldn't be a problem.  You don't have to renew the visa before it expires. It would be a new Visa anyways, meaning new number etc. 

I understand.

 

I have one more question if you have the time.

Because 10 years has elapsed since my DUI Conviction from 2005, Do I still need to apply for a B1/B2 renewal?

The conviction was the reason I had to apply for my first B1/B2 Visa.

 

Thanks in Advance 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Irish-Emmett said:

I understand.

 

I have one more question if you have the time.

Because 10 years has elapsed since my DUI Conviction from 2005, Do I still need to apply for a B1/B2 renewal?

The conviction was the reason I had to apply for my first B1/B2 Visa.

 

Thanks in Advance 

i live virtually in VJ LMAO. No problems answering questions here. I would leave the answer to more seasoned or experienced persons on that. IMO...since you had to get a B1/B2 for that reason, they do not void this requirement. Like I said, just my opinion. Others might disagree.  Best is to ask the US consulate/ embassy directly in Canada. 


8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Alabamak1 said:

i live virtually in VJ LMAO. No problems answering questions here. I would leave the answer to more seasoned or experienced persons on that. IMO...since you had to get a B1/B2 for that reason, they do not void this requirement. Like I said, just my opinion. Others might disagree.  Best is to ask the US consulate/ embassy directly in Canada. 

Where is VJ?...lol.

I'll await for the information from others on that wee subject of the 10 years.

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Surprised you could get into Canada with a DUI.  I have seen Americans turned away from the border for that here in Washington state.

I declared my DUI to come to Canada on the work visa, I first had to obtain a "Certificate of Rehabilitation" from the Canadian Government.

If I would not declare my DUI it would not only screw everything up for me in Canada, it would do the same for me applying anywhere that I need Visa. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

most countries are a little more forgiving on those kinds of crimes when travelling. Now if you are talking about domestic violence and/or assault...that may be a different matter.  Some don't even check. 


8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Alabamak1 said:

most countries are a little more forgiving on those kinds of crimes when travelling. Now if you are talking about domestic violence and/or assault...that may be a different matter.  Some don't even check. 

You are right there, yet I go by the book and declare anything. thankfully it's my only conviction. I would never want to mess up visiting my family that's why I go by the book. 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Irish-Emmett said:

You are right there, yet I go by the book and declare anything. thankfully it's my only conviction. I would never want to mess up visiting my family that's why I go by the book. 😊

👍


8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Irish-Emmett said:

Hi Everyone,

 

This is my first post on this forum.

Ok so my story is this: I had a DUI conviction from 2005 and wanted to travel to USA to see my brother in 2008.  So in 2008 I applied for the B1/B2 Visa from Ireland And got it.

Now I live in Montreal, Canada and hold a Permanent Resident Card which I Received On Aug 2017 and Hold a Steady Job here.

I come to Canada in 2015 on a 2 year work permit/visa, so in 2016 I applied for the Permanent Resident Visa Under the Spousal Sponsorship with my Girlfriend, who is from Montreal (Holds a Canada Passport)

Oh I nearly forgot! My B1/B2 Visa expired on OCT 2018. I have looked somewhere and I think I can apply within 12 months after Expiration (Please Confirm)

I am looking to know a few things on how I renew My B1/B2 Visa From Canada:

1.  How do I apply from Canada

2.  Is it possible to apply from Canada, as my first U.S. B1/B2 Visa was Issued In Ireland

3.  See above question: My B1/B2 Visa expired on OCT 2018. I have looked somewhere and I think I can apply within 12 months after Expiration (Please Confirm)

 

Any help would be much appreciated.

 

Many Thanks

Question Added: 

Because 10 years has elapsed since my DUI Conviction from 2005, Do I still need to apply for a B1/B2 renewal?

The conviction was the reason I had to apply for my first B1/B2 Visa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Irish-Emmett said:

I understand.

 

I have one more question if you have the time.

Because 10 years has elapsed since my DUI Conviction from 2005, Do I still need to apply for a B1/B2 renewal?

The conviction was the reason I had to apply for my first B1/B2 Visa.

 

Thanks in Advance 

Well, you can apply for an ESTA and see if it’s granted. If it’s not then you’d have to apply for a B1/B2 again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×