BA2WA

Does I-175 processing time count for Naturalization?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
23 hours ago, BA2WA said:

Yes, I believe I've confused things. We applied for removal of conditions on her GC, which I though was AOS. She's had residence since 20JUNE16, so 3 years minus 90 days is when we can initiate naturalization, I hope.

No, she's not quite eligible to start the naturalization process, but we'd like to do that as soon as reasonably possible. There is a first grandchild we've not seen and have been afraid to leave the country to visit.

You can travel outside the US with a green card, as long as you don't stay too long.  No need to wait for naturalization, which can take a year from applying.  Why are you afraid to leave the country?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

We're currently reluctant to leave the country even for a short time as we've read of people being denied re-entry, even though they had every legal right to return (Green Card, financially sound, long-term residence etc.). The decision for re-entry is up to the individual Immigration official at the border and they can choose to deny. Though probably not common, it can happen. It could be challenged, but it would take months and make life extremely difficult until resolved.

We did return briefly to Argentina in 2016, when my wife's father was dying. Upon returning to the U.S., she was interrogated for 30 minutes in Houston before allowed in. She was enormously shaken by  it. And that was BEFORE the current "situation". I guess we're just too old to risk it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.