kashif01

married siblings or above 22 years

24 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, kashif01 said:

he still is a green card holder and he had applied in 2014 for them. How about the child who is not married but above 22. 

Aaron2020 has given you good answers on all the above, I just wanted to add/clarify that if an unmarried child of LPR turns 21 the case moves from F2A to F2B, which significantly lengthens the wait time (from about 2 years to about 7 years) 

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline
On 1/10/2019 at 5:23 PM, dwheels76 said:

If someone filed for them while single and they get married the category changes. Not denied. So parents filing for adult children they marry during the process the time has just went up for processing and waiting for PD to be current.
Siblings doesn't matter same category.

1 hour ago, edshere said:

Interesting!  i am curious though what if the married sibling gets divorced does it change back?

If child of LPR no because the petition gets voided when they get married. The parent can however file a new one after divorce. If child of usc yes it changes back to F1 from F3. 

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline
8 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

If child of LPR no because the petition gets voided when they get married. The parent can however file a new one after divorce. If child of usc yes it changes back to F1 from F3. 

8 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

1 hour ago, edshere said:

That is an intersting difference.  Is there any reason for that difference?

What difference in particular are you talking about? (I'm assuming you've read the rest of the thread, which outlines what categories USCs and LPRs may sponsor)

2 hours ago, edshere said:

That is an intersting difference.  Is there any reason for that difference?

I'm assuming you mean the difference between having a USC petitioner versus LPR petitioner for unmarried and married children.

The difference is simple: An LPR does not qualify as a petitioner for a married child. A USC does.

As such, once a child marries they no longer fall under any valid category and the petition is immediately invalidated. What happens afterwards (i.e. getting divorced) is immaterial as the petition is already dead. Whereas a USC petitioner's I-130 just changes categories back and forth.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.