northwest-boys

Change of Address before AOS application (K-1 visa)

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We are a few days away from sending our AOS packet after getting married after Thanksgiving (K-1 visa), and we've been back and forth on what we should be doing about our recent address change.

A little after new years we moved into a friend's apartment so that we didn't have to live with my new in-laws while we wait until we can afford a place of our own (once I get EAD and find a job we will be looking to move). I know I have to file a change of address with the USCIS (within 10 days, eep!) and I'm going to do that before we send off our application as I believe its simpler doing it that way (only have to file it online).

My question is, will this change of address cause us any issues? For example, I've read a lot about people needing joint leases as proof of living together when they go to the AOS interview. We plan by that point we will have our own place and be on that lease together, but will it be an issue that we weren't on the lease at this current address and are just staying as guests. While we will be listing our new address on the AOS application, we are also keeping my in-laws as our mailing address for the application, as well as other non-visa things (e.g medical insurance, payslips, etc). Will USCIS take any issue with this? I don't want to arouse any unnecessary suspicion.

I'm thinking everything should be fine but, erring on the side of caution, I thought I'd post this for peoples' thoughts on this, am I still missing something? Any help or information anyone have to add would be great!

23 minutes ago, northwest-boys said:

We are a few days away from sending our AOS packet after getting married after Thanksgiving (K-1 visa), and we've been back and forth on what we should be doing about our recent address change.

A little after new years we moved into a friend's apartment so that we didn't have to live with my new in-laws while we wait until we can afford a place of our own (once I get EAD and find a job we will be looking to move). I know I have to file a change of address with the USCIS (within 10 days, eep!) and I'm going to do that before we send off our application as I believe its simpler doing it that way (only have to file it online).

My question is, will this change of address cause us any issues? For example, I've read a lot about people needing joint leases as proof of living together when they go to the AOS interview. We plan by that point we will have our own place and be on that lease together, but will it be an issue that we weren't on the lease at this current address and are just staying as guests. While we will be listing our new address on the AOS application, we are also keeping my in-laws as our mailing address for the application, as well as other non-visa things (e.g medical insurance, payslips, etc). Will USCIS take any issue with this? I don't want to arouse any unnecessary suspicion.

I'm thinking everything should be fine but, erring on the side of caution, I thought I'd post this for peoples' thoughts on this, am I still missing something? Any help or information anyone have to add would be great!

That's a little messy. I'm sure a reasonable explanation at your interview would suffice and proof at every instance where you updated your address with USCIS. People move that's life. The issue is that you have proof you lived TOGETHER though so just make sure you have evidence of that.

Not much else you can really do though, right?

Edit: you could also get your roommates to write a sworn affidavit for you stating that you two lived together with them. Just a thought....

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I don't think the USCIS has time to be suspicious over small things like temporary living arrangement.  by the time you interview, you will have a place of your own, joint bank account, joint credit cards, and a joint tax return for 2018. If they bothered to ask about the address of the friend, it is certainly understandable that you preferred the friends place over living with the in-laws.  You can take an affidavit from the friend saying you lived together as a married couple at his place from [date] to [date].

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.