peanutismint

Filled in affidavit I-864 instead of I-134....! Interview next week! How do we handle co-sponsors? One I-134 form each?

11 posts in this topic

Hilarious moment of panic last night after I dropped my fiance off at the airport to fly back to America, and having left me with copies of all the forms I will need for my interview next Friday we realised she had mistakenly filled in form I-864 instead of I-134.....! 🤦🏻‍♂️😂

I know the I-134 form isn't mandatory for the interview, but I think it would be prudent to have it. My fiancé left me with all of her income/tax evidence along with the income/tax evidence of her parents (they are co-sponsoring me because she has been in and out of work this year so her latest return falls under the income amount guidelines...) so now we have a few questions:

1. How do we fill out the I –134 forms with parental co-sponsors in mind? If my fiancé's income falls under the guideline, should she even bother submitting one alone? Or should we just submit one form for each person (I.e. 3, one for her, one for her mom and one for her dad?) Or can we just count her parents as one person and submit 2 x forms?

2. Will it matter if she fills out the form and then emails it to me as she is now back in America? Will they care that her signature has been printed out? My interview is booked for next week so there's not really enough time to mail real documents over....

3. Can I assume that I as the alien don't need to take any evidence of my own  income/meagre savings along to the interview in the form of a bank statement or my own British tax returns? Given that I am supposed to be the one being sponsored, and will not be able to work for a while until my EAD?  Or would they like to see that they at least have a little bit in the bank to get me through this period of unemployment, even if it's only a few thousand pounds? 

I'm kind of under the impression that, as long as we have these forms explaining what the tax returns/payslips/bank statements are saying, the consulate official will understand what we are trying to prove…?  

Edited by peanutismint

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, peanutismint said:

Hilarious moment of panic last night after I dropped my fiance off at the airport to fly back to America, and having left me with copies of all the forms I will need for my interview next Friday we realised she had mistakenly filled in form I-864 instead of I-134.....! 🤦🏻‍♂️😂

I know the I-134 form isn't mandatory for the interview, but I think it would be prudent to have it. My fiancé left me with all of her income/tax evidence along with the income/tax evidence of her parents (they are co-sponsoring me because she has been in and out of work this year so her latest return falls under the income amount guidelines...) so now we have a few questions:

1. How do we fill out the I –134 forms with parental co-sponsors in mind? If my fiancé's income falls under the guideline, should she even bother submitting one alone? Or should we just submit one form for each person (I.e. 3, one for her, one for her mom and one for her dad?) Or can we just count her parents as one person and submit 2 x forms?

Your fiancé should fill out a form, and the co-sponsor should fill out a separate form.  You don't need one from each parent, so just two forms.

2. Will it matter if she fills out the form and then emails it to me as she is now back in America? Will they care that her signature has been printed out? My interview is booked for next week so there's not really enough time to mail real documents over....

Scanned and emailed should be fine.

3. Can I assume that I as the alien don't need to take any evidence of my own  income/meagre savings along to the interview in the form of a bank statement or my own British tax returns? Given that I am supposed to be the one being sponsored, and will not be able to work for a while until my EAD?  Or would they like to see that they at least have a little bit in the bank to get me through this period of unemployment, even if it's only a few thousand pounds? 

I am not aware of the K1 applicant needing to have financial information, but I would take it just in case.

I'm kind of under the impression that, as long as we have these forms explaining what the tax returns/payslips/bank statements are saying, the consulate official will understand what we are trying to prove…?  

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You definitely do not need any of your own finanical information - the whole point is your US petitioner (and the co sponsors) will support you financially until you can work. So dont worry about getting additional documents together that you don't need :)

NOA1: February 13th

NOA2: September 4th

NVC case # assigned: September 21st 

Medical @ Knightsbridge: December 5th

Interview: December 17th

event.png

Super helpful replies - thanks both!! Will get stuck into those 2 x I-134s today. At least we already have all the numbers/evidence so should just be a 'fill in the blanks' game....! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, peanutismint said:

I know the I-134 form isn't mandatory for the interview, but I think it would be prudent to have it.

You need one. 

How do we fill out the I –134 forms with parental co-sponsors in mind? If my fiancé's income falls under the guideline, should she even bother submitting one alone? Or should we just submit one form for each person (I.e. 3, one for her, one for her mom and one for her dad?) Or can we just count her parents as one person and submit 2 x forms?

They want ONE form from ONE sponsor that makes enough.

1 hour ago, Bill & Katya said:

Can I assume that I as the alien don't need to take any evidence of my own  income/meagre savings along to the interview in the form of a bank statement

You may show them your savings. With a significant amount, you could sponsor yourself. ($30k-40k)

A couple of thousand likely won't be enough to boost your fiance's shortfall in income, but you could have proof of savings with you anyway. Your current income or tax forms are of no use because you won't continue  in that job.

It's called an affidavit because the sponsor signs a pledge. Showing income documents without that half paged signed pledge (Sponsor's Statement) is not the same. 

You can get a 221g (denial) at the interview and send the necessary form/documents  in when you get them together and they will finish processing your visa.

Edited by Wuozopo

4 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

You need one. 

They want ONE form from ONE sponsor that makes enough.

You may show them your savings. With a significant amount, you could sponsor yourself. ($30k-40k)

A couple of thousand likely won't be enough to boost your fiance's shortfall in income, but you could have proof of savings with you anyway. Your current income or tax forms are of no use because you won't continue  in that job.

It's called an affidavit because the sponsor signs a pledge. Showing income documents without that half paged signed pledge (Sponsor's Statement) is not the same. 

You can get a 221g (denial) at the interview and send the necessary form/documents  in when you get them together and they will finish processing your visa.

Oh, so I should only complete ONE I-134, assumedly for my fiancé's parents as they're the only ones who meet the requirements for this? 

Edited by peanutismint

Timeline
1 minute ago, peanutismint said:

Oh, so I should only complete ONE I-134, assumedly for my fiancé's parents as they're the only ones who meet the requirements for this? 

Why would you complete a form?? You are not the sponsor.

It should be fiance's dad or her mom. And proof of that person's income. 

7 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Why would you complete a form?? You are not the sponsor.

It should be fiance's dad or her mom. And proof of that person's income. 

I mean the royal 'I' 😂 Yeah I'm well aware of how it works, thanks. So what proof can you offer that we should only submit one I-134, as others are suggesting multiple? It would be good if they made it more clear.... 

Edited by peanutismint

Timeline

I just read your other thread about having an interview 7 days after the medical. You are such a screw up and don't follow good information that has been given to you previously. 

Your medical results will not be there. You have no proper I-134. Why don't you reschedule your interview for a time when you will be prepared. You are wasting their time being unprepared and slowing down the system for those that come after. 

2 minutes ago, peanutismint said:

I mean the royal 'I' 😂 Yeah I'm well aware of how it works, thanks. So what proof can you offer that we should only submit one I-134, as others are suggesting multiple? It would be good if they made it more clear.... 

I can offer 10 years of reading K1 experiences in the UK forum, probably a thousand experiences. I know that one form by one sponsor works in London. An embassy in another country may not do it that way. Each is different. I know London does not require tax returns from K1s. An employer letter would    be enough. 

Timeline

Also I know the support question is totally subjective without anything written in the law except that the officer be convinced that you will not become a public charge. So with that in mind, it has been possible to convince various officers in London to accept scanned affidavits, just a W2 as evidence, a combination of Petitioner and beneficiary assets...lots of variables on what is generally expected. So it is possible talk up your best game and get away with less than typical documentation. 

9 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

I just read your other thread about having an interview 7 days after the medical. You are such a screw up and don't follow good information that has been given to you previously. 

Your medical results will not be there. You have no proper I-134. Why don't you reschedule your interview for a time when you will be prepared. You are wasting their time being unprepared and slowing down the system for those that come after. 

I can offer 10 years of reading K1 experiences in the UK forum, probably a thousand experiences. I know that one form by one sponsor works in London. An embassy in another country may not do it that way. Each is different. I know London does not require tax returns from K1s. An employer letter would    be enough. 

I scheduled the interview for the length of time the medical team told me it would take. That's about as 'from the horse's mouth' as it gets, no? Or are they wrong? Also, if the medical isn't there, I read that it doesn't really matter; I don't mind too much if my visa gets delayed a few days, just as long as I don't have to go back to London again. 

I will email the embassy to get the official ruling on the I-134 form; hopefully they reply pretty fast. If I need to reschedule I will. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.