kellyschwan

Switch from lawyers to doing it myself

19 posts in this topic

Hi all,

We have gotten approval from the USCIS on our I-130 and now waiting on confirmation & instruction letter from the NVC. We are deeply disappointed with our lawyer thus far and are thinking maybe we just do it ourselves the rest of the way. 

Do you know if this is possible? Or if there are any issues with changing the status from lawyer to manual?

thanks! 

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
9 minutes ago, kellyschwan said:

Hi all,

We have gotten approval from the USCIS on our I-130 and now waiting on confirmation & instruction letter from the NVC. We are deeply disappointed with our lawyer thus far and are thinking maybe we just do it ourselves the rest of the way. 

Do you know if this is possible? Or if there are any issues with changing the status from lawyer to manual?

thanks! 

Unless you have a special case (flags, waiver, something outside an ordinary petition and visa application) it is usually best to read up on the process and do it yourself.

To remove a lawyer from your case simply complete a new G-28 containing your own information. I benevolent it needs to be sent to the service centre currently processing your petition. 

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

@kellyschwan The lawyer will not refund you any money. However, if you want, you can file a complaint with the your state's lawyer discipline agency and USCIS.                                                                                                

See below the address to file complaint with USCIS:                                                                                                       

Catherine M. O’Connell
Disciplinary Counsel
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service
U.S. Department of Homeland Security
111 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W.
Mail Stop 2121
Washington, D.C. 20529-2121
Telephone: (202) 272-1873
E-mail: DisciplinaryCounsel@uscis.dhs.gov 

ROC

12/11/2018 - I-751 mailed (requested a fee waiver) to Lewisville, TX via FedEx

12/13/2018 - package delivered 

01/02/2019 - received text message from USCIS with case number starting with EAC

01/12/2019 - submitted online e-Request for non-delivery of NOA (the extension letter)

01/24/2019 - received the response to e-Request via e-mail, which says: "Please allow 30 days from the date of this correspondence for the notice to be sent".

01/28/2019 - received NOA (the extension letter), which extends GC for 18 months

01/29/2019 - received biometrics appointment letter

02/08/2019 - biometrics completed

10 hours ago, Hypnos said:

To remove a lawyer from your case simply complete a new G-28 containing your own information. I benevolent it needs to be sent to the service centre currently processing your petition. 

Thanks - if the petition is now sitting with the NVC, do we send the G-28 to the NVC?

No just make sure the choice of agent form ds-261 has your info. You can update the NVC when you call too

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Well just an update - after I called our lawyers out on not doing their job and not responding to us (on top of trying to charge us extra after promising the fee was "flat-rate") - they decided to drop our case without any explanation as to why. My guess is that he didn't like being called out to do their job. 

Would have been faster and quicker to do the whole thing myself from the beginning and use this amazing community for support.

Thanks guys :)

All lawyers aren't created equal.

I definitely need that on a t-shirt.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

5 hours ago, IloveDanang said:

Why was it wasted?

They made a big mistake on the paperwork which prolonged the duration of my case.

It was the first indicator of their incompetence. 

Luckily the first Lawyer who I hadn't gone with because he charged a lot more was empathetic and gave great advice on how to fix the mistake. 

You get what you pay for.

20 hours ago, IloveDanang said:

I’m in the same dilemma.  I864 looks manageable.  But ds260 looks intimidating.  

Its pretty easy if you do the homework ahead.  Gather all the addresses and dates for moving and all the dates and addresses for working places.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
41 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Its pretty easy if you do the homework ahead.  Gather all the addresses and dates for moving and all the dates and addresses for working places.  

How many years back are we talking?

24 minutes ago, IloveDanang said:

How many years back are we talking?

From age 16 onwards. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.