NJShoreMom

NEWBIE asking for daughter and her fiancee pls be gentle!

86 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 minutes ago, NJShoreMom said:

Also, looking at that Rapidvisa website, it states for a higher fee, you can get the visa plus a work permit.  Someone else in this thread mentioned that the newly arrived fiancee can't work up to 5-6 months?  Don't understand why that would be, but do you know if this "work permit" bypasses that rule?  

Technically yes, but from a  practical standpoint,  no,  because A k1 only has an authorized stay of 90 days.  After 90 days any work authorized  ceases at that time 

YMMV

Timeline
3 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Technically yes, but from a  practical standpoint,  no,  because A k1 only has an authorized stay of 90 days.  After 90 days any work authorized  ceases at that time 

Ok, but lets just say fiancee and beneficiary get married...oh, say right away.  like within the quickest time frame possible.  Isn't the next step for him to apply for residencey?  How would that affect the work situation?

Timeline
1 minute ago, NJShoreMom said:

Ok, but lets just say fiancee and beneficiary get married...oh, say right away.  like within the quickest time frame possible.  Isn't the next step for him to apply for residencey?  How would that affect the work situation?

Need to reapply for a new work permit based on a different eligibility classification.   The authorization is taking 5 to 6 months to be approved 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Just now, NJShoreMom said:

Guess nothing good comes easy huh 😩

The immigration process REQUIRES a great deal of knowledge, patience, planning, time, and money.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Paying a “higher fee” to companies like RapidVisa does not get you anything you can’t get on your own, nor is it in any way expedited.

Right now the EAD (work permit) is taking 4-6 months after applying.  

22 hours ago, NJShoreMom said:

can my income be added to my daughters? 

Not added but you could be a (joint/co I never remember which is the right term) sponsor if you earn enough. But please reread my post about becoming liable for him and any government benefits he claims. 

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~5 Posts removed for derailing this thread. If you have questions start your a thread of your own.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

On 1/7/2019 at 5:30 PM, vivostu said:

They could marry in Rome but the marriage is not as quick as, for example, a courthouse marriage in the US: https://www.italianweddingevent.com/wedding-requirements-for-italy/requirements-for-us/ The best option is marriage in either Copenhagen, Denmark or Reykjavík, Iceland:

Italy, Denmark, and Iceland are in the Schengen travel area so he can travel without issue as he is an Italian resident: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/non-eu-nationals/index_en.htm "If you have a valid residence permit from one of those Schengen countries, it is equivalent to a visa."

She, as a US citizen, does not need a Schengen visa so she can also travel to those countries without issue.

@NJShoreMom, the above is a great option for the CR-1 route. If I'm not mistaken, @bakphx1 married in Iceland. They can attest to how straightforward the marriage process was there.

Timeline
13 hours ago, accumbyte said:

@NJShoreMom, the above is a great option for the CR-1 route. If I'm not mistaken, @bakphx1 married in Iceland. They can attest to how straightforward the marriage process was there.

Wow thanks for the info.  As you can imagine our heads are spinning, but in the last few days we have gained some knowledge, and it appears that she makes enough money for a family of 3 so I don't have to co-sponsor.  He is wiring her all the money so he is full in on this (as he should be) The doctor said its ok for her to travel (but as a mom/grama of course I don't want her to!) we figure while he waits for his work permit he can stay home and take care of the baby, 

Everything I've been reading points to the K-1 being much quicker then the C1 and I think right now they want to be together as soon as possible (and yes we know "soon" is subjective)

Thanks so much for your support, my new friends 😍

9 minutes ago, NJShoreMom said:

Wow thanks for the info.  As you can imagine our heads are spinning, but in the last few days we have gained some knowledge, and it appears that she makes enough money for a family of 3 so I don't have to co-sponsor.  He is wiring her all the money so he is full in on this (as he should be) The doctor said its ok for her to travel (but as a mom/grama of course I don't want her to!) we figure while he waits for his work permit he can stay home and take care of the baby, 

Everything I've been reading points to the K-1 being much quicker then the C1 and I think right now they want to be together as soon as possible (and yes we know "soon" is subjective)

Thanks so much for your support, my new friends 😍

The problem is that K1's used to be "much quicker" in the past, averaging about 6-9 months. Now the difference is only a few months, with K1's hovering around 9 - 12 months. In fact, some CR1 cases have been completed roughly around the same time as K1's at the 12 month mark.

It is a tough call to make, we know. But regardless of which decision they make, they will overcome the time apart. Everyone here advises the Cr1 because the benefits greatly outweigh the extra wait time.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
2 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

The problem is that K1's used to be "much quicker" in the past, averaging about 6-9 months. Now the difference is only a few months, with K1's hovering around 9 - 12 months. In fact, some CR1 cases have been completed roughly around the same time as K1's at the 12 month mark.

It is a tough call to make, we know. But regardless of which decision they make, they will overcome the time apart. Everyone here advises the Cr1 because the benefits greatly outweigh the extra wait time.

I understand and ultimately its their call, not mine.

Can you outline again the pros and cons?  In layman's terms?  

ps - still waiting on a callback from an immigration lawyer (who happens to be my sister's next door neighbor)  not that we intend to use him, but I did want to pick his brains

Timeline
4 minutes ago, NJShoreMom said:

I understand and ultimately its their call, not mine.

Can you outline again the pros and cons?  In layman's terms?  

ps - still waiting on a callback from an immigration lawyer (who happens to be my sister's next door neighbor)  not that we intend to use him, but I did want to pick his brains

Review the Fourth post in this thread

YMMV

Timeline
34 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Review the Fourth post in this thread

Ok, I just did, now I have a couple other questions 

Can you start out applying for the K-1 and then down the road in the process fly over there and marry?  and change the petition to the C status?

And what would be some reasons a K-1 would get denied?  (we have so much proof of a legit ongoing 2 year relationship and thats not even including the now confirmed pregnancy with ultrasound pictures of the baby whose documented conception coinsides with their last trip together)

This is With all due respect to anyone who answers, as I am here to learn not to judge.

Thanks!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
3 minutes ago, NJShoreMom said:

Ok, I just did, now I have a couple other questions 

Can you start out applying for the K-1 and then down the road in the process fly over there and marry?  and change the petition to the C status?

And what would be some reasons a K-1 would get denied?  (we have so much proof of a legit ongoing 2 year relationship and thats not even including the now confirmed pregnancy with ultrasound pictures of the baby whose documented conception coinsides with their last trip together)

This is With all due respect to anyone who answers, as I am here to learn not to judge.

Thanks!

There's no switching.  If they get marry during the K-1 process, then they start over with a new petition.  

There are lots of reason to deny a K-1.  Generally, it's lack of a bona fide relationship.  The petitioner failing to meet the financial requirements.  Criminal past.  Making a material misrepresentation.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.