NJShoreMom

NEWBIE asking for daughter and her fiancee pls be gentle!

86 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, NJShoreMom said:

Thank you so much, As I mentioned above, he lives in Rome, but is actually a Turkish citizen.  We did want to get him over here, quickly, (and I understand that is probably not realistic) because they are expecting a baby in the summer (please no judgement)

Any other insights as I await the call from the lawyer, would be helpful....thanks from the bottom of my heart and good luck and prayers to anyone else going thru this journey

1) Marriage-based immigration is expensive.

2) NOTHING about it is quick.  If their petition and subsequent visa is approved (either fiance or spousal),  he will not be able to come here before their baby is born.  Even if they file a petition today, the entire process will take greater than one year.

3) Your daughter needs to be the one researching this and taking all of the initiative to learn as much as possible.  Many of us have spent YEARS reading and researching immigration.  Failing to have an adequate knowledge base of one's own (i.e. not lawyer or fiance or family member) can lead to additional costs and time delays.

4) If she is willing to do the research, there is no need for a lawyer.  Save those $1000s for the fees and travel expenses.   

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
15 hours ago, NJShoreMom said:

Thank you so much for your quick answers!  I'm even more confused now, but thats probably because I'm an older individual (which is why I want my daughter and her fiancee to get involved)  I do have a call out to an immigration lawyer as we speak, but seeing the prices...yikes....not sure we can add that to our plate.  

K-1: they get married in the USA.

CR-1: they get married outside the USA

I’ve  bad and worse news for you. 

If she cannot afford these fees, she cannot afford lawyer (which is the bad news) and her petition will be denied because her income needs to be significantly above the poverty line.  And the poverty line increases with each mouth to feed; you said later she that she is pregnant.  

If his English is poor his job prospects are also not good either.  

So the two of them should take a realistic view.  

Edited by Mike E

There is no need for a lawyer but people here are correct. It really takes more than just love for this journey to be successful. The financial requirements keep many couples apart. The consular officer’s job is to do his best to prevent a beneficiary who they believe may become a public charge from entering the US. Sad but true. Love is not enough. 

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

9 hours ago, ourjourney_pc said:

but during adjustment of status, you need to file for i864 i believed? which supposed to cost $120?

thank you

You are looking at CR-1. There is no fee for K-1. 

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
10 hours ago, ourjourney_pc said:

but during adjustment of status, you need to file for i864 i believed? which supposed to cost $120?

thank you

There is no $120 i864 fee for aos

Thank you 

YMMV

Good deal for the American spouse also. 

After 3 years of marriage to an Italian Citizen the American Citizen can apply for Italian Citizenship. 

Law:

Act No. 91 of 5 February 1992 (Italy)

Article 5 1. The foreign or stateless spouse of an Italian citizen may acquire Italian citizenship if, after the marriage, he or she has been legally resident for at least two years in the territory of the Republic, or after three years from the marriage if he or she has been residing abroad

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
43 minutes ago, thatguyuknow said:

Good deal for the American spouse also. 

After 3 years of marriage to an Italian Citizen the American Citizen can apply for Italian Citizenship. 

Law:

Act No. 91 of 5 February 1992 (Italy)

Article 5 1. The foreign or stateless spouse of an Italian citizen may acquire Italian citizenship if, after the marriage, he or she has been legally resident for at least two years in the territory of the Republic, or after three years from the marriage if he or she has been residing abroad

Not applicable,  the alien is an Italian resident, Turkish citizen 

YMMV

Please also realize that if they ask you to be cosponsor you will be on the hook until he either earns forty quarters of working, rescinded his green card, becomes a citizen, or dies and this applies even if they split up (I know not something you want to think of if there is a child involved but it happens)

Does your daughter have employment? 

Just because he was living and working in Italy it doesn’t mean he is there legally (as is the case here people can and do live and work illegally in Italy), if he isn’t there legally then he cannot use the US embassy  in Italy to process a visa. 

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

Filed: Other Timeline
20 hours ago, NJShoreMom said:

Thank you so much for your quick answers!  I'm even more confused now, but thats probably because I'm an older individual (which is why I want my daughter and her fiancee to get involved)  I do have a call out to an immigration lawyer as we speak, but seeing the prices...yikes....not sure we can add that to our plate.  

As I previously mentioned, he is currently living in Rome Italy altho he is a citizen of Turkey.  Would it matter if she traveled to Rome to marry him or would she have to go to Turkey?

IF they decide to go the K1 route and you're willing to spend a little extra for a second pair of eyes, Rapid Visa offers installments on a K1/AOS package deal where they help you fill out the forms and send them off to them. I know some people have had bad experience with them, but if you don't solely rely on them and only use them as a double measure, it really helps. Just make sure to do your research here, as well. I haven't had issues with them so far. And it helps to be able to make payments and have the AOS fee probably paid off by the time he arrives. It's definitely cheaper than a lawyer and you get your documents triple checked and you don't have to pay it all at once. The only thing they don't include in their plan is the $260 he has to pay for his visa application and the medical.

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days & AOS w/EAD and AP: 180 days

Spoiler

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days                                                                                                                               AOS from K1 w/EAD and AP: 180 days

09/12/18: NOA1 old site (9/17 new site)                                                                                                     05/22/19: AOS package mailed to Chicago, IL

01/28/19: NOA2 new site (old site never changed)                                                                                   05/24/19: USCIS Received date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/19/19: NVC Received                                                                                                                                05/29/19: Notice date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/20/19: Case Number Assigned                                                                                                               06/19/19: Biometrics Appointment

04/05/19: Interview - APPROVED!                                                                                                                06/14/19: Biometrics Completed - walk in

04/08/19: CEAC-NIV Application Received                                                                                                 08/06/19: Ready to be Scheduled for Interview Status

04/09/19: CEAC-NIV Administrative Processing                                                                                       10/11/19: Interview Scheduled status

04/10/19: CEAC- Issued                                                                                                                                 11/05/19: EAD/AP approved

04/12/19: Visa in hand                                                                                                                                   11/16/19: EAD/AP card Received

04/30-5/1/19: POE via IAH - Houston, TX                                                                                                   11/18/19: AOS Interview - APPROVED! same day status change to Approved, then New Card being Produced

05/10/19: I Do's!                                                                                                                                               11/25/19: Green Card in Hand

ROC:                                                                                                                                                                  

08/20/21: Filed ROC

08/23/21: USCIS received package

08/25/21: Text received/Case # assigned

08/26/22: Case transferred to NBC for "speedy processing"

Citizenship:

08/22/22: Filed N-400 online

08/22/22: NOA1/Biometrics Reused                                                                                                           

Honestly I think given the circumstances that it may be better for your daughter to remain in Italy for now. 

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Illiria said:

Please also realize that if they ask you to be cosponsor you will be on the hook until he either earns forty quarters of working, rescinded his green card, becomes a citizen, or dies and this applies even if they split up (I know not something you want to think of if there is a child involved but it happens)

Does your daughter have employment? 

Just because he was living and working in Italy it doesn’t mean he is there legally (as is the case here people can and do live and work illegally in Italy), if he isn’t there legally then he cannot use the US embassy  in Italy to process a visa. 

He is there legally, he faxed over all his documents.  I'm curious, since everyone is saying we have to be making x amount of dollars in order to get him to be able to come here, can my income be added to my daughters?  (and yes, she is employed)

Also to the person who asked if his English is poor, I did say that English is not his first language.  However he speaks it quite well, and learning more every day.  He is fluent in five other languages so I am sure he can hold his own :)

Timeline
2 hours ago, cduran said:

IF they decide to go the K1 route and you're willing to spend a little extra for a second pair of eyes, Rapid Visa offers installments on a K1/AOS package deal where they help you fill out the forms and send them off to them. I know some people have had bad experience with them, but if you don't solely rely on them and only use them as a double measure, it really helps. Just make sure to do your research here, as well. I haven't had issues with them so far. And it helps to be able to make payments and have the AOS fee probably paid off by the time he arrives. It's definitely cheaper than a lawyer and you get your documents triple checked and you don't have to pay it all at once. The only thing they don't include in their plan is the $260 he has to pay for his visa application and the medical.

Thanks!  I private messaged you...

Timeline
2 hours ago, cduran said:

Also, looking at that Rapidvisa website, it states for a higher fee, you can get the visa plus a work permit.  Someone else in this thread mentioned that the newly arrived fiancee can't work up to 5-6 months?  Don't understand why that would be, but do you know if this "work permit" bypasses that rule?  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.