NJShoreMom

NEWBIE asking for daughter and her fiancee pls be gentle!

86 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hi there everyone, forgive my barging in as I don't know where to start.  My daughter's fiancee is a Turkish citizen living in Rome Italy (they met while she was on vacation) She has visited him a couple times since first meet.  Now they wish to get married and I don't even know where to start!  I am encouraging them both to get on this website since they are both more tech savvy then me but in the meantime if anyone can help, and I mean from the very beginning!  We don't even know where to start!  He did just fax over his birth certificate and passport....

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, NJShoreMom said:

Hi there everyone, forgive my barging in as I don't know where to start.  My daughter's fiancee is a Turkish citizen living in Rome Italy (they met while she was on vacation) She has visited him a couple times since first meet.  Now they wish to get married and I don't even know where to start!  I am encouraging them both to get on this website since they are both more tech savvy then me but in the meantime if anyone can help, and I mean from the very beginning!  We don't even know where to start!  He did just fax over his birth certificate and passport....

Two possible visas.  Fiancee or spousal. 

First question is where do they want to get married?  Overseas?

YMMV

Another good time to upload this!  

K-1 vs CR-1 Full Analysis

K-1

More expensive than CR-1    

Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    

Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 5-6 months)    

Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 5-6 months)    

Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    

Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.

Estimated timeline is approximately 8 to 10 months (NOA1 to Interview)  This is officially quoted as 6 to 12 months.

K-1 Fees

$535 - USCIS Filing Fee

$265 per person - DS-160 (Visa Application)

$200 to $400 - Medical Fee

$1,225 per person - AOS Fee (Includes EAD/AP if filed together)

$750 per child under 14

$680 per person - ROC Fee

$2,705 plus medical (K-1)

$2,170 plus medical (K-2 over 14 years old)

$1,695 plus medical (K-2 14 years old and younger)

CR-1    

Less expensive than K-1    

No Adjustment of Status  (I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    

Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    

Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    

Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    

Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.

Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US. 

Estimated timeline is 10 to 12 months (NOA1 to Interview) This is officially quoted at 12 to 14 months.

CR-1 Fees

$535 - USCIS Filing Fee

$120 - Affidavit of Support Fee

$325 - DS-260 (Visa Application)

$200 to $400 - Medical Fee

$220 - USCIS Immigrant Fee

$680 - ROC (if married less than 2 years when filing)

$1,200 plus medical (per person if married more than 2 years when filing)

$1,880 plus medical (per person if married less than 2 years when filing)

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline

Thank you so much for your quick answers!  I'm even more confused now, but thats probably because I'm an older individual (which is why I want my daughter and her fiancee to get involved)  I do have a call out to an immigration lawyer as we speak, but seeing the prices...yikes....not sure we can add that to our plate.  

As I previously mentioned, he is currently living in Rome Italy altho he is a citizen of Turkey.  Would it matter if she traveled to Rome to marry him or would she have to go to Turkey?

Timeline
4 minutes ago, NJShoreMom said:

Thank you so much for your quick answers!  I'm even more confused now, but thats probably because I'm an older individual (which is why I want my daughter and her fiancee to get involved)  I do have a call out to an immigration lawyer as we speak, but seeing the prices...yikes....not sure we can add that to our plate.  

As I previously mentioned, he is currently living in Rome Italy altho he is a citizen of Turkey.  Would it matter if she traveled to Rome to marry him or would she have to go to Turkey?

Anywhere 

YMMV

Timeline
1 hour ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

The key question is does she want to bring him over as a fiancé or get married in Italy and bring him as a spouse? 

The spouse(CR1) timeline is about 12-14 months right now. The guide to this is here: https://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

The fiancé(K1) timeline is about 10-12 months right now. The guide to this is here: https://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Thank you so much, As I mentioned above, he lives in Rome, but is actually a Turkish citizen.  We did want to get him over here, quickly, (and I understand that is probably not realistic) because they are expecting a baby in the summer (please no judgement)

Any other insights as I await the call from the lawyer, would be helpful....thanks from the bottom of my heart and good luck and prayers to anyone else going thru this journey

2 minutes ago, NJShoreMom said:

Thank you so much, As I mentioned above, he lives in Rome, but is actually a Turkish citizen.  We did want to get him over here, quickly, (and I understand that is probably not realistic) because they are expecting a baby in the summer (please no judgement)

Any other insights as I await the call from the lawyer, would be helpful....thanks from the bottom of my heart and good luck and prayers to anyone else going thru this journey

Well that is about as quick as you can get right now unfortunately. As long as you daughter's fiancé is living in Italy on a valid visa/permit then he can be processed there, if not then he will have to go back to Turkey to interview/process there. 

If they have a pretty simple case then a lawyer is not needed at all, in fact there have been numerous times on here where lawyers have actually slowed a case down or got it denied due to negligence on the lawyer's part.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Well that is about as quick as you can get right now unfortunately. As long as you daughter's fiancé is living in Italy on a valid visa/permit then he can be processed there, if not then he will have to go back to Turkey to interview/process there. 

If they have a pretty simple case then a lawyer is not needed at all, in fact there have been numerous times on here where lawyers have actually slowed a case down or got it denied due to negligence on the lawyer's part.

Yes, I'm pretty sure he must have, since they met 2 years ago in Rome, and he has been living/working there ever since.  I'm guessing the case is simple, other then the fact he is not living in the country of his origin.  Thanks again for your help!

Timeline
1 minute ago, NJShoreMom said:

Yes, I'm pretty sure he must have, since they met 2 years ago in Rome, and he has been living/working there ever since.  I'm guessing the case is simple, other then the fact he is not living in the country of his origin.  Thanks again for your help!

We live in a mobile society and people relocate to other areas all the time.  He would not be the first non national to interview at the consulate 

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
11 minutes ago, NJShoreMom said:

Lawyers are really not needed, and might a hindrance if not careful by luring people into false sense of complacency. It really is not that complicated for most people to file themselves. Especially while having access to support forums like this one. But, it is worrisome to me that you are the one asking these questions and not your daughter, or her fiance. It will be their signatures on the forms submitted to US federal government, and their commitment.

Your daughter will need to prove she is able to support her partner, which means certain level of income. Minimum is 125% of poverty line but they can and do ask for more. If she can satisfy that herself, she will need to have a cosponsor. CR-1 "marriage" visa is a better deal, especially if she can travel to see him in Italy every so often, and he has a job there to support himself. Takes a bit longer, but ultimately a lot cheaper. It does require commitment to get married right now, and risk of having to deal with divorce if things do not work out during long wait.   

Good luck. Be prepared for them to move this post btw to a different subforum in case it goes missing. 

Edited by Shiran

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Shiran said:

Lawyers are really not needed, and might a hindrance if not careful by luring people into false sense of complacency. It really is not that complicated for most people to file themselves. Especially while having access to support forums like this one. But, it is worrisome to me that you are the one asking these questions and not your daughter, or her fiance. It will be their signatures on the forms submitted to US federal government, and their commitment.

Your daughter will need to prove she is able to support her partner, which means certain level of income. Minimum is 125% of poverty line but they can and do ask for more. If she can satisfy that herself, she will need to have a cosponsor. CR-1 "marriage" visa is a better deal, especially if she can travel to see him in Italy every so often, and he has a job there to support himself. Takes a bit longer, but ultimately a lot cheaper. It does require commitment to get married right now, and risk of having to deal with divorce if things do not work out during long wait.   

Good luck. Be prepared for them to move this post btw to a different subforum in case it goes missing. 

I hear what you are saying, and yes, they should be on this forum.  I did send him the link, but of course English is not his first language.  Is there a way to get this to translate?  Also, this is very fast, since she just learned of the pregnancy.  I tend to think and overthink and do alot of online research, therefore I am the one who found this forum.  Unfortunately Turkish citizens cannot visit here as a tourist (which is why she was flying over to see him) and they have discussed the very real possibility of marrying and living in Rome.  But of course I want them here!  Shes MY baby!

again thanks for everyone's input

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Agree that the daughter needs to be the one asking questions, getting educated about the process, knowing the time to wait and the cost and commitment needed with the two options.  If they want to be together quickly, have you looked into her going to Italy to be with her fiancé?

Timeline
28 minutes ago, NJShoreMom said:

I hear what you are saying, and yes, they should be on this forum.  I did send him the link, but of course English is not his first language.  Is there a way to get this to translate?  Also, this is very fast, since she just learned of the pregnancy.  I tend to think and overthink and do alot of online research, therefore I am the one who found this forum.  Unfortunately Turkish citizens cannot visit here as a tourist (which is why she was flying over to see him) and they have discussed the very real possibility of marrying and living in Rome.  But of course I want them here!  Shes MY baby!

again thanks for everyone's input

Tour daughter needs to be on here as the USC leads the process not the alien

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.