Bjh

How to register US Marriage in Brazil?

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hey everyone,

I'm in the beginnings of the K1 process with my fiancee and am wanting our children someday to have dual US-Brazilian citizenship. I understand we would have to register their births at Brazilian embassies here in the US, and also that registering our marriage in the US in Brazil at an embassy might make that easier.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge with this? I looked at the Brazilian Embassy in Chicago and they don't have any instructions or requirements, whereas the one in DC requires like 3 witnesses stating that my fiancee was single before her marriage with me.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Edited by Bjh

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 1/7/2019 at 12:56 PM, Bjh said:

Hey everyone,

I'm in the beginnings of the K1 process with my fiancee and am wanting our children someday to have dual US-Brazilian citizenship. I understand we would have to register their births at Brazilian embassies here in the US, and also that registering our marriage in the US in Brazil at an embassy might make that easier.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge with this? I looked at the Brazilian Embassy in Chicago and they don't have any instructions or requirements, whereas the one in DC requires like 3 witnesses stating that my fiancee was single before her marriage with me.

Any advice?

Thanks!

It’s a 2 step process: first to register at the brazilian embassy (every embassy has the paperwork required, usually in portuguese if I’m not wrong), and then to register in Brazil at the 1st register of deeds office of your spouse’s hometown (for that your brazilian spouse would have to go in person or give a Power of Attorney to someone).

I hope this helps

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.