GVANESSA233

Married for 3 years to be able to file for spouse ?

31 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Khallaf said:

from what I can gather by translate this is something that has already been talked about where USCIS has the right to deny a petition if not completed properly without the issuance of a RFE.

It further talks about maintaining a marriage for the entire 3 years when applying for citizenship or it will be denied

so things we already knew?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
1 minute ago, GVANESSA233 said:

Yes and then he says you will have to be married for 3 years or they can also deny it which is crazy if it’s true 

they can deny it if you apply for citizenship based on the 3 year rule as you can apply for citizenship if you are in the same marriage to the same USC for the last 3 years. 

it has nothing to do with denying a visa if you haven't been married for 3 years.

Just now, NikLR said:

so things we already knew?

YES!!

it looks like it was taken out of context and not properly investigated IMO

Just now, Khallaf said:

they can deny it if you apply for citizenship based on the 3 year rule as you can apply for citizenship if you are in the same marriage to the same USC for the last 3 years. 

it has nothing to do with denying a visa if you haven't been married for 3 years.

YES!!

it looks like it was taken out of context and not properly investigated IMO

Yes because i can’t find the same news no where else lol 

2 minutes ago, GVANESSA233 said:

Yes and then he says you will have to be married for 3 years or they can also deny it which is crazy if it’s true 

According to the poster above you, you're misunderstanding.  A spouse of a USC can file for citizenship at the 3 year mark of being an LPR.  You must be in a marital union before filing and must remain married to gain citizenship at this time.  So this is nothing new.   

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Congress at this time is not working on any legal immigration changes/ they are focused on DACA and illegal

and to tell you the truth,  the CO at any embassy can deny a CR1/IR1 at any time for whatever reason they come up with for thinking a marriage is not bona fida

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
2 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

This news segment looks like another video article to try and spread fear among the Latino audience no thing more. Unfortunately there are people that will take this at face value and believe because to be honest who wouldn't coming from a news site like Univision. 

@GVANESSA233 thank you for bringing this to our attention because I am sure other people may come here on here asking about it saying "I heard that we have to be married now for 3 years before petitioning" without doing the proper digging like you did. 

Honestly I think a number of this videos are put out to make money for lawyers. Someone from Univision must be getting a cut from all this misinformation. 

This is why we don't watch Univision news anymore.  They like to spread drama and fake news about immigration.   

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Cuba
Timeline

Definitely misinformation.

I have seen a lot of misinformation circulating recently on websites / new stations that cater largely to the Latino population. It is a damn shame because it sends many people into freak-out mode, which is then shared with friends and family, etc. and quickly becomes a nightmare.

While I don't think that most of these articles are intended to spread misinformation, I think they mostly end up doing that because whoever ends up writing on them often does not know the context. As we all know, there is a LOT that goes into understanding these petitions and the details are constantly changing. Double and triple check EVERYTHING you hear and all sources, even the most reputable ones, before making a decision and taking any action based on what you hear on the news or read online. 

I-751

29 Oct 2018      Application Sent

31 Oct 2018      Application Received 

5 Nov 2018       Text confirmation 

6 Nov 2018       Check Cashed

1 Dec 2018       Biometrics Appointment Notice

6 Dec 2018       NOA1 Date

10 Dec 2018     Biometrics Appointment - Syracuse, NY

11 Dec 2018     NOA1 Received

3 minutes ago, jcra615 said:

Definitely misinformation.

I have seen a lot of misinformation circulating recently on websites / new stations that cater largely to the Latino population. It is a damn shame because it sends many people into freak-out mode, which is then shared with friends and family, etc. and quickly becomes a nightmare.

While I don't think that most of these articles are intended to spread misinformation, I think they mostly end up doing that because whoever ends up writing on them often does not know the context. As we all know, there is a LOT that goes into understanding these petitions and the details are constantly changing. Double and triple check EVERYTHING you hear and all sources, even the most reputable ones, before making a decision and taking any action based on what you hear on the news or read online. 

Exactly this right here. 

I'm a little rusty, but it sounds like the statements are correct. The interpretation of them...not so much. People seem to be jumping the gun here.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A post has been removed at its author's request, along with a post quoting.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Changes like that will require an act of Congress, and based the current situation in the Congress I doubt the Democrats will agree to something like that. Basically, let's just say it ain't happening anytime soon.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

He is talking about Citizenship, no green card applicans

It has always been a requirement to stayed married if they want to get the citizenship in the three year period, this is from USCS page.  If they get divorce, he/She can apply for citizenship after 5 years. 

image.png.8f4e46d8b5fe49ce25f9533eae4c8f46.png

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate :

I-129F Sent : 2014-03-20

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-26

I-129F RFE(s) : 2014-09-04

RFE Reply(s) : 2014-09-12

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-09-29

NVC Received : 2014-10-17

Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned : 2014-10-17

NVC Left : 2014-10-17

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2014-11-01

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received : 2014-11-06

Interview Date : 2014-12-23

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2015-01-02

US Entry :2015-02-17

Marriage :2015-04-03

Comments :

It takes time, but it is all worthy!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.