26 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Stephanillia said:

Many divorce waivers get approved without an lawyer...

Yeah but did you read his case? It seems to have been made more complicated than it should have. He is being summoned for the initial i751. If it would have been submitted after the divorce then he could do it alone but his case seems too complicated now but we can wish him luck at this point. Please let us know how it went @MohU3

Filed: Timeline
2 hours ago, Mellamanlola said:

Yeah but did you read his case? It seems to have been made more complicated than it should have. He is being summoned for the initial i751. If it would have been submitted after the divorce then he could do it alone but his case seems too complicated now but we can wish him luck at this point. Please let us know how it went @MohU3

It seems based on your knowledge/understanding of immigration law his case is too complicated for you to provide a response, that does not mean that everyone on VJ is also unable to answer him or provide the correct advice. Many posted correct information. 

And for the record USCIS forms or processes do not ever require an attny. Often it is recommended to get one in complex cases or for court appearances but technically the forms and processes are intended to be used with out having to hire a mandatory attny. Tons of people file waiver ROC on their own, tons of people switch from joint to waiver as well with no attny.

While it is not necessary to file a new 751 to switch to a waiver there is nothing stopping someone from filing numerous 751s. Some attnys will gladly file multiple ones (charging for each) even though its not necessary since it is allowed. USCIS will adjudicate the 751s in order received and policy allows the Officer to convert an existing joint to a waiver when appropriate. 

4 hours ago, Mellamanlola said:

It isn't particularly complicated....the original lawyer made it more complicated than it needed to be by the ill advised filing of a fresh I-751 (despite there being no limit on how many can be filed).

As many of us know on here, not all lawyers are created equal, and the advice given varies greatly from person to person - you only have to look at lots of the carp that some people on here say they were told by one to see that.

A lawyer can't answer questions for you in an I-751 interview, and they can't speed up the process in any way. The OP should see what is said and what happens tomorrow...

CR1 / DCF (London): 2012 / 2013 (4 months from I-130 petition to visa in hand)

I-751 #1- April 2015 [Denied]

April 2015 : I-751 Joint filing package sent fedex next day 09:00am from UK ($lots - thanks). 
Jan 2017: Notification that an interview has been scheduled at a local office. Bizarrely still no RFE... 
Jan 2017: 2hr wait, then interview terminated before it began, due to moving my ID to another state 2 wks prior. New interview 'in a few months...maybe.'   Informed them that divorce proceedings are underway, but not finalised at this time. 
March 2017: An Interview was scheduled - marked as no-show as they didn't actually send out a notification of interview. FML 
April  2017: Filed an official complaint with the ombudsman, and have requested Senator & Congressman assistance
August 2017: Interview - switched to a (finalised) divorce waiver. Told that decision will be made that afternoon, but no problems foreseen with my case. 
October 2017: Letter of Denial received - reason given as 'I-751 petition was not properly filed'. Discovered ex-spouse made false allegations to USCIS in 2015. No opportunity given to review & refute allegations  - contrary to USCIS policy.

I-751 #2 - Oct 2017 - Mar 2021[Denied] 

October 2017: Within 72hrs of receiving denial notice, a new waiver I-751, divorce decree & $680 cheque, sent to Vermont via FedEx overnight 9am priority.  
Dec 2019: Filed FOIA request for full A# file
Feb 2020: FOIA request completed - entire A# file received as a .PDF; 197 pages fully redacted, and 80 partially redacted. Don't waste your time!
March 2021: I-751 #2 denied for lack of evidence. No RFE, no interview, and evidence in previous I-751 not reviewed - contrary to policy. Huge errors in adjudication.

N-400 - Feb 2018 - Apr 2021 [Denied]

February 2018: N-400 filed online.  $725 paid to the USCIS paperwork wastage fund

February  2019: Interview - cancelled after a four hour wait due to 'missing paperwork' on their end. Promised Expedited reschedule.

March 2021: Interview letter received, strangely dated after I-751 denial. No I-751 interview conducted. N-400 interview and test passed, given 'cannot make a decision at this time' paper due to the ongoing I-751 nightmare...

April 2021: N-400 denial received citing recent I-751 denial as basis for ineligibility, even though it should have been a combo interview 🤯

I AM JACK'S COMPLETE LACK OF SURPRISE

I-751 Service Motion - March 2021 [Sent via FedEx & COMPLETELY IGNORED by USCIS]

March 2021: Service Motion request sent overnight addressed direectly to field office director, requesting urgent review and re-opening, based on errors in adjudication - citing USCIS policy, AFM and memorandums as basis for errors. This was completely ignored by USCIS.

I-751 #3 - June 2021 - Jan 2024 [Denied]

IT'S GROUNDHOG DAY

June 2021: I-751 #3 (30+lbs/5000 pages of paperwork) & another $680 sent to USCIS via FedEx ($300+..thanks) .... 

June 2021: Receipt issued, card charged, biometrics waived, infopass scheduled for I-551 stamp number ten.....

Feb 2022: RFIE (no, not an RFE, a Request For Initial Evidence) received, for copies of the divorce paperwork that they already have 😑

July 2022: Infopass for I-551 stamp number eleven.....

August 2023: Infopass for I-551 stamp number twelve....

January 2024: Denial received, ignoring the overwhelming majority of the filing, abundance of evidence, and refutation of a provably false allegation. The denial also contradicts itself in multiple places, as if it was written by someone with an IQ <50.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

2024: FML. Seriously. I'm done. 

On 1/7/2019 at 12:46 AM, Damara said:

It seems based on your knowledge/understanding of immigration law his case is too complicated for you to provide a response, that does not mean that everyone on VJ is also unable to answer him or provide the correct advice. Many posted correct information. 

And for the record USCIS forms or processes do not ever require an attny. Often it is recommended to get one in complex cases or for court appearances but technically the forms and processes are intended to be used with out having to hire a mandatory attny. Tons of people file waiver ROC on their own, tons of people switch from joint to waiver as well with no attny.

While it is not necessary to file a new 751 to switch to a waiver there is nothing stopping someone from filing numerous 751s. Some attnys will gladly file multiple ones (charging for each) even though its not necessary since it is allowed. USCIS will adjudicate the 751s in order received and policy allows the Officer to convert an existing joint to a waiver when appropriate. 

Oh I’m sorry, I didn’t know i had to be an IO to participate in this forum. I thought this was for regular people that were either undergoing or completed x or y immigration case and think they could give their opinion based on their own experience or what they thought could be best. 

To me, a mere MBA in business, not an immigration lawyer by any stretch but someone who has been able to handle all her immigration procedures by herself, simply following instructions, given the fact that this person’s removal of conditions was basically screwed over by their “immigration lawyer”, I recommend he should have a consultation with a good one I know. That’s all. You can most definitely give your own opinion without being snarky or rude just because you think you know so much more. Thanks! 

On 1/7/2019 at 2:29 AM, mindthegap said:

It isn't particularly complicated....the original lawyer made it more complicated than it needed to be by the ill advised filing of a fresh I-751 (despite there being no limit on how many can be filed).

As many of us know on here, not all lawyers are created equal, and the advice given varies greatly from person to person - you only have to look at lots of the carp that some people on here say they were told by one to see that.

A lawyer can't answer questions for you in an I-751 interview, and they can't speed up the process in any way. The OP should see what is said and what happens tomorrow...

I am well aware of some of the things people say their “lawyer” advised or did ending up in denials, RFEs, etc. I also am aware that you don’t need a lawyer for any immigration case unless you have a case that was misfiled or you have a notice to appear or something of the sort, like in my particular case where I’ve always done everything on my own by just following instructions. In any case, his was as simple as any but his low end “lawyer” made it harder than it had to be for him to handle on his own, reason why I recommend a consultation with an experienced immigration lawyer i know that could guide him better than his did. I never heard about retaining a lawyer that would tell you what to do instead of doing it themselves, unless OP was only consulting and not retaining. OP hasn’t told us yet what the outcome to that “rice with mango” was. Hopefully a positive one 🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Luxembourg
Timeline
On 1/6/2019 at 4:19 PM, MohU3 said:

Thank you all for taking the time to read my story and replying with the best that you can. I prepped all my documents (evidence) and I have a local lawyer will be going with me and I'll take your advice and ask for a waiver right away. I will keep you updated tomorrow and I will let you know tomorrow when I get back what happened.

Thanks to you all.

How was your interview? 

Keep us updated please! 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Alright guys. sorry for the late update, but I came back yesterday and slept the whole day, since I didn't sleep the night before at all.

I walked in to the USCIS, the security guy checked my appointment notice and ID and said to check in at window 1. I walked to Window 1 with the lawyer and we handed in the notice and she was looking the appointment up and came back to us and said there's no appointment. I said sorry what ? You mean I made the notice up ? she said all the appointments today for 485 no interviews for 751 in the system. I started to get nervous. the girl said leave me the notice ill make some digging around. 10 mins later she came back to me and said I found it. It was a special appointment not in the system. the lawyer asked who is the IO conducting the interview she said officer G. Abraham. the lawyer asked if he was running on time or not. the girl said that she didn't even see him today at all probably he's coming only for this interview. This is when my heart start racing so hard that I could hear him with my ears. I looked at the lawyer and said that wasn't a good start. she tried to make me feel better and said that if we get denied I have a much better chance at the immigration court. I said that doesn't help. anyways I started to get myself together. 15 mins later I was called by the IO. I walked into the room. The IO started with this is only a 751 interview no N400 at this point. I smiled to him and I said let's do it. the lawyer asked that we have two 751, the first one is joint and the second one is waiver solo so she asked him either to switch the first one or to conduct the interview for the second one as it is waiver. He said yea I know I have all the cases in front of me. Would you like to withdraw the first one and conduct the interview for the second one ? She said yea. so He gave her the paper to write that down and made me sign it. so we started the interview with how long have we been married, I said 4 and half years. he asked for my address currently  I told him. 3rd question was about my brother and where he lives (FYI my brother has an I130 pending since 2015) so the lawyer asked him how is the relevant to the 751 he said did you have time to review the case she said yea he said Im reviewing the case now it's my time and my interview. he said this is a big case and there's allegations and investigations by HS on him and his brother. I said its okay I figured when the 751 got pending for 4 years. so I answered the questions about my brother. He was run and tough. He pretty much asked about everything. where we lived, addresses and dates, her parents names and where they live to the best of knowledge. He asked me if I'm currently married I said yes, asked about her name and if she lives with me or not. He asked me about some charges from 2017 and what was the outcome of them. I said dismissed and showed him the paper work and took copies of it. He came back to my brother again and the lawyer got mad and asked him if there's any intention for adjudicating the 751 or where just here so you can grill him alive into mistakes, she said because this is not a 751 interview ? He said listen this is a big case and this is my interview. There's no IO comes into an interview with the intend to deny. She said look at the evidence and the papers he submitting, He said in a normal case that what I would be doing but this is not a normal case and if you don't like it perhaps you shouldn't have taken the case from the beginning. At this point, I lost hope. My heart stopped racing. at this point I didn't have anything to lose. so he would ask the question and I would give more details than he wants to get him lost. I showed him everything I had. the leases, insurances, on top of the normal list, I showed him texts between us since 2013 I printed from my phone, FB posts from me, her, and her mom. he asked for her mom's name I gave him her name and her maiden name. I showed him over 100 picture that he asked about 70 of them. he asked where was the picture taken and who was in the picture beside us. He kept some texts randomly and he kept some pictures randomly in the file. He ended the interview with a picture taken from me and fingerprints take for some reason IDK why. at the end he apologized to me and to the lawyer for the way the interview went. He explained to me that they had tips from a female that called them couple times on me. They thought it was my ex-wife in the beginning that's why everything went south ways for me and that he was just doing his job. I told him that I understand and appreciate him telling me that. I said I really don't care what happened all I care about is that I'm here now and I've waited for that day for 4 years so please let me clarify anything dirty on me or in my file. he said that he got everything that he needed and that he was satisfied at this point. he's gonna review the whole file again and will make a decision and mail it to me. then he started asking about the tips and who do I think that made them. I said I really don't know and have no idea. He said why would someone do that to you I said I guess it's a bad luck or whatever you wanna call it. I said being an immigrant is not easy, while you walk around anyone, if you piss off someone that would be the first threat that you get " I'm gonna report you to the Immigration" He said it's not true. I said I'm not saying that this happened with everyone or everywhere. I'm saying that happened to me and to people around me. I said I'm a regular guy not everyone likes me and not everyone hates me. It just depends on the person and how far he wanna take it. and I believe that what happened to me I believe I pissed off someone back in 2014 or 2015 and this is what happened. He ended the interview and shaked my hands and I left. I had a small conversation with the lawyer. She said you did good and I think we're good and I think they gonna mail you something next week or the week after. She said that she was sorry for the intervention and getting him mad but if I didn't stop him he would take that road deeper. that concluded my interview and my experience for yesterday. Thanks for all the support guys.

01I-751 #1 - March 2015 (Jointly filed)

April 2015: Bio-metrics completed

11/30/2018 Interview Notice for 01/07/2019

01/07/2019: Withdrawn at the interview due to divorce and another 751 filed after the divorce and switched to the waiver case

I-751 #2 - March 2017 (Waiver)

April 2017: Bio-metrics completed

01/07/2019: Interview

01/14/2019: Approval Notification via Email

03/15/2019: Had to file I90 since no card was sent

01/28/2020: Card is being produced (I751)

02/03/2020: Card in hand (I751)

N-400 #1 Feb 2016 (Pending)(3-year Rule) 

February 2016: N-400 filed under the 3 year rule.

February 2016: Bio-metrics completed

04/29/2016: Interview Notice in the mail For 06/08/2016

06/01/2016: Interview was cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances (probably cause the 751 was still pending)

01/16/2019: Case changed online again to interview was scheduled for 03/06/2019

03/06/2019 The Interview (Can't be approved since I'm not eligible for the 3 year rule anymore, will have to file again under the 5 year rule, FML)

03/09/2019: Official Deny letter Via certified mail

N-400 #2 March 2019 IOE (Pending)(5-year Rule) 

03/09/2019: N-400 filed online under the 5 year rule (Within 72 hours of the interview)

03/09/2019: NOA1 via web Portal

03/18/2019: NOA1 in the mail

03/19/2019: NOA2 via web Portal. Bio-metrics for 04/02/2019

03/21/2019: Successful early walk-in Bio-metrics

01/22/2020: Case changed to Interview was scheduled for 03/06/2020

03/16/2020: Denied for a dismissed criminal case 3 years ago

04/22/2020: Filled N336 to appeal the decision

Sounds like that lawyer went to bat for you and it was a wise decision to take them with you. 

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

On 1/8/2019 at 10:51 AM, MohU3 said:

Alright guys. sorry for the late update, but I came back yesterday and slept the whole day, since I didn't sleep the night before at all.

I walked in to the USCIS, the security guy checked my appointment notice and ID and said to check in at window 1. I walked to Window 1 with the lawyer and we handed in the notice and she was looking the appointment up and came back to us and said there's no appointment. I said sorry what ? You mean I made the notice up ? she said all the appointments today for 485 no interviews for 751 in the system. I started to get nervous. the girl said leave me the notice ill make some digging around. 10 mins later she came back to me and said I found it. It was a special appointment not in the system. the lawyer asked who is the IO conducting the interview she said officer G. Abraham. the lawyer asked if he was running on time or not. the girl said that she didn't even see him today at all probably he's coming only for this interview. This is when my heart start racing so hard that I could hear him with my ears. I looked at the lawyer and said that wasn't a good start. she tried to make me feel better and said that if we get denied I have a much better chance at the immigration court. I said that doesn't help. anyways I started to get myself together. 15 mins later I was called by the IO. I walked into the room. The IO started with this is only a 751 interview no N400 at this point. I smiled to him and I said let's do it. the lawyer asked that we have two 751, the first one is joint and the second one is waiver solo so she asked him either to switch the first one or to conduct the interview for the second one as it is waiver. He said yea I know I have all the cases in front of me. Would you like to withdraw the first one and conduct the interview for the second one ? She said yea. so He gave her the paper to write that down and made me sign it. so we started the interview with how long have we been married, I said 4 and half years. he asked for my address currently  I told him. 3rd question was about my brother and where he lives (FYI my brother has an I130 pending since 2015) so the lawyer asked him how is the relevant to the 751 he said did you have time to review the case she said yea he said Im reviewing the case now it's my time and my interview. he said this is a big case and there's allegations and investigations by HS on him and his brother. I said its okay I figured when the 751 got pending for 4 years. so I answered the questions about my brother. He was run and tough. He pretty much asked about everything. where we lived, addresses and dates, her parents names and where they live to the best of knowledge. He asked me if I'm currently married I said yes, asked about her name and if she lives with me or not. He asked me about some charges from 2017 and what was the outcome of them. I said dismissed and showed him the paper work and took copies of it. He came back to my brother again and the lawyer got mad and asked him if there's any intention for adjudicating the 751 or where just here so you can grill him alive into mistakes, she said because this is not a 751 interview ? He said listen this is a big case and this is my interview. There's no IO comes into an interview with the intend to deny. She said look at the evidence and the papers he submitting, He said in a normal case that what I would be doing but this is not a normal case and if you don't like it perhaps you shouldn't have taken the case from the beginning. At this point, I lost hope. My heart stopped racing. at this point I didn't have anything to lose. so he would ask the question and I would give more details than he wants to get him lost. I showed him everything I had. the leases, insurances, on top of the normal list, I showed him texts between us since 2013 I printed from my phone, FB posts from me, her, and her mom. he asked for her mom's name I gave him her name and her maiden name. I showed him over 100 picture that he asked about 70 of them. he asked where was the picture taken and who was in the picture beside us. He kept some texts randomly and he kept some pictures randomly in the file. He ended the interview with a picture taken from me and fingerprints take for some reason IDK why. at the end he apologized to me and to the lawyer for the way the interview went. He explained to me that they had tips from a female that called them couple times on me. They thought it was my ex-wife in the beginning that's why everything went south ways for me and that he was just doing his job. I told him that I understand and appreciate him telling me that. I said I really don't care what happened all I care about is that I'm here now and I've waited for that day for 4 years so please let me clarify anything dirty on me or in my file. he said that he got everything that he needed and that he was satisfied at this point. he's gonna review the whole file again and will make a decision and mail it to me. then he started asking about the tips and who do I think that made them. I said I really don't know and have no idea. He said why would someone do that to you I said I guess it's a bad luck or whatever you wanna call it. I said being an immigrant is not easy, while you walk around anyone, if you piss off someone that would be the first threat that you get " I'm gonna report you to the Immigration" He said it's not true. I said I'm not saying that this happened with everyone or everywhere. I'm saying that happened to me and to people around me. I said I'm a regular guy not everyone likes me and not everyone hates me. It just depends on the person and how far he wanna take it. and I believe that what happened to me I believe I pissed off someone back in 2014 or 2015 and this is what happened. He ended the interview and shaked my hands and I left. I had a small conversation with the lawyer. She said you did good and I think we're good and I think they gonna mail you something next week or the week after. She said that she was sorry for the intervention and getting him mad but if I didn't stop him he would take that road deeper. that concluded my interview and my experience for yesterday. Thanks for all the support guys.

Wow 😮 you’re a true champion sir! You and your lawyer handled that so well given the circumstances cause it seems it was a lot of pressure to take from the IO!! Fingers crossed so that your ROC is approved cause you deserve it just for the simple fact of waiting 4 years for this!!! Good luck 🍀👍🏽 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hey guys,

So Yesterday I got the approval notice in the mail. I also got a notifications about my N400 that it's being scheduled for an interview but I don't have a date yet. The only thing is that when I applied for the N400 3 years ago I was still married and under the 3 year rule. Now my eligibility would be the 5 year rule. Can I change my eligibility in the same application from 3 years ago or I would have to apply a new case ?

01I-751 #1 - March 2015 (Jointly filed)

April 2015: Bio-metrics completed

11/30/2018 Interview Notice for 01/07/2019

01/07/2019: Withdrawn at the interview due to divorce and another 751 filed after the divorce and switched to the waiver case

I-751 #2 - March 2017 (Waiver)

April 2017: Bio-metrics completed

01/07/2019: Interview

01/14/2019: Approval Notification via Email

03/15/2019: Had to file I90 since no card was sent

01/28/2020: Card is being produced (I751)

02/03/2020: Card in hand (I751)

N-400 #1 Feb 2016 (Pending)(3-year Rule) 

February 2016: N-400 filed under the 3 year rule.

February 2016: Bio-metrics completed

04/29/2016: Interview Notice in the mail For 06/08/2016

06/01/2016: Interview was cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances (probably cause the 751 was still pending)

01/16/2019: Case changed online again to interview was scheduled for 03/06/2019

03/06/2019 The Interview (Can't be approved since I'm not eligible for the 3 year rule anymore, will have to file again under the 5 year rule, FML)

03/09/2019: Official Deny letter Via certified mail

N-400 #2 March 2019 IOE (Pending)(5-year Rule) 

03/09/2019: N-400 filed online under the 5 year rule (Within 72 hours of the interview)

03/09/2019: NOA1 via web Portal

03/18/2019: NOA1 in the mail

03/19/2019: NOA2 via web Portal. Bio-metrics for 04/02/2019

03/21/2019: Successful early walk-in Bio-metrics

01/22/2020: Case changed to Interview was scheduled for 03/06/2020

03/16/2020: Denied for a dismissed criminal case 3 years ago

04/22/2020: Filled N336 to appeal the decision

I don't believe there's any provision to be able to change from a 3 year to a 5 year application mid-process. 

Your N-400 will likely be denied since you are no longer married to a US citizen. 

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.