Olichka

Trouble getting Federal Tax Return copy

35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to get a copy of my 2017 tax return but the IRS website seems to not be working. 

1. I've tried calling so I can order over the phone, the robot keeps saying there is no live assistance at this time and to call the next business day and then hangs up.

2. I can't order online because it's not working either.

3. My last option is to order by mail..does anyone know how long that will take ?

I filed taxes by myself last year, using HR block, if that helps. I tried to get a copy from their website too, but I would have to pay for it.

Another question: I had a part-time job in high-school (not for long) and a couple months during college.  I made VERY little the previous years  (2016 and below) so I never filed for taxes. In 2017 I made very little too,  but I filed.

Would it look bad that I didn't file the previous years ? Should I include a small letter stating why I didn't file and add my W'2 to show how much I earned ?

I know that only what I am earning at the moment counts, but I will be short just about $1000 for the year, so my parents will be my co-sponsors*

Thank you in advance !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Olichka said:

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to get a copy of my 2017 tax return but the IRS website seems to not be working. 

1. I've tried calling so I can order over the phone, the robot keeps saying there is no live assistance at this time and to call the next business day and then hangs up.

2. I can't order online because it's not working either.

3. My last option is to order by mail..does anyone know how long that will take ?

I filed taxes by myself last year, using HR block, if that helps. I tried to get a copy from their website too, but I would have to pay for it.

Another question: I had a part-time job in high-school (not for long) and a couple months during college.  I made VERY little the previous years  (2016 and below) so I never filed for taxes. In 2017 I made very little too,  but I filed.

Would it look bad that I didn't file the previous years ? Should I include a small letter stating why I didn't file and add my W'2 to show how much I earned ?

I know that only what I am earning at the moment counts, but I will be short just about $1000 for the year, so my parents will be my co-sponsors*

Thank you in advance !

That part of the IRS is shutdown.  Ordering by mail won't change anything because no one is there to process any requests from any method.

From the Kyiv website:

image.png.7db937f324eb7c4479e080138a1b05c7.png

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline
Just now, payxibka said:

From the Kyiv website:

image.png.7db937f324eb7c4479e080138a1b05c7.png

I heard that Kiev is an easy embassy, I'm just overthinking everything. I'm assuming that somehow they would know that I didn't file previous years so I'm freaking out 😪

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Olichka said:

I heard that Kiev is an easy embassy, I'm just overthinking everything. I'm assuming that somehow they would know that I didn't file previous years so I'm freaking out 😪

If they had that information, they would not need you to provide a copy of the recent return.

Kyiv is a very reasonable consul.  Been there, done that

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline
3 minutes ago, payxibka said:

If they had that information, they would not need you to provide a copy of the recent return.

Kyiv is a very reasonable consul.  Been there, done that

If I file 2018 tax returns soon, I'm assuming those would suffice ? 

Timeline
Just now, Olichka said:

If I file 2018 tax returns soon, I'm assuming those would suffice ? 

Based on your timeline, there is very little chance of a interview before April 15 anyway, at which time the 2018 return will become the standard requirement

YMMV

Timeline
2 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Based on your timeline, there is very little chance of a interview before April 15 anyway, at which time the 2018 return will become the standard requirement

My timeline says I should expect NOA2 on Feb 16. You think it would take  2 months for case to go to NVC, to Kiev, and then for us to get an interview ? 

Timeline
Just now, Olichka said:

My timeline says I should expect NOA2 on Feb 16. You think it would take  2 months for case to go to NVC, to Kiev, and then for us to get an interview ? 

Yes very possible as it typically takes 30 or more days or so to transit NVC. Once on station in Kyiv, it then depends on when the consul has actual interview openings

As an example, my dates.

NOA2:                                       10.22.18

Left NVC:                                  11.28.18

Ready for interview:                12.03.18

First appointment available:  12.27.18

YMMV

Timeline
6 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Yes very possible as it typically takes 30 or more days or so to transit NVC. Once on station in Kyiv, it then depends on when the consul has actual interview openings

As an example, my dates.

NOA2:                                       10.22.18

Left NVC:                                  11.28.18

Ready for interview:                12.03.18

First appointment available:  12.27.18

Uh :( Is it true that they send the NOA2 electronically or something like that? I think I've read that somewhere. 

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Olichka said:

Uh :( Is it true that they send the NOA2 electronically or something like that? I think I've read that somewhere. 

The real noa2 is physically mailed.  You can get electronic notification. 

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
29 minutes ago, payxibka said:

The real noa2 is physically mailed.  You can get electronic notification. 

I think she is asking how approved 129F gets forwarded to NVC and to embassies. I am pretty sure it is combination of both physical and electronic. The Trump's shutdown will probably slow down things some even if doesn't affect USCIS directly, clearly it does affect other things, like those tax returns, TSA, DHS, etc etc.

Edited by Shiran

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Shiran said:

I think she is asking how approved 129F gets forwarded to NVC and to embassies. I am pretty sure it is combination of both physical and electronic. The Trump's shutdown will probably slow down things some even if doesn't affect USCIS directly, clearly it does affect other things, like those tax returns, TSA, DHS, etc etc.

Since it’s electronic, I hope it gets there pretty fast. Why would they still need to wait for the physical copy ? 

Timeline
Just now, Olichka said:

Since it’s electronic, I hope it gets there pretty fast. Why would they still need to wait for the physical copy ? 

Because the physical copy is what gets sent to the consul

YMMV

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Shiran said:

Whether it is a combo or not, NVC does nothing in relation to the file (ie. assigning case number) until the physical copy is in the "house"

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Pay HR Block for a copy of the 2017 tax return, or wait until the government shutdown ends and then get a tax transcript from the IRS.  And you will have time before the interview to submit your 2018 tax return which will be required as well.  And yes, include a letter stating why you did not file in previous years and include W2s for those years.  Sounds like a co-sponsor will be necessary, so make sure those documents are completed correctly with all attachments--tax returns or transcripts, W2s, etc.  When in doubt, include more, not less information to avoid delays later.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.