Karim2018

Any tax experts on marrying to a non USC

37 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi Guys/Gals,

I have a question about how to file my 2018 taxes. Got married a couple of months ago, filed for my wife to move to the states, but that won't happen anytime soon. In fact, I'm told the process takes 18-24 months before we can be together :( Long story short, she still lives overseas, so obviously she does not have a SS# or any type of tax id. She has not worked in 2018, but I did. So the question is how do I file?

Single?

Married filing Jointly? or..

Married filing separately? or...?

I have done some reading on the subject, and I still don't get it! Very confusing stuff!

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by Karim2018

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from Off Topic to the Tax & Finances forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Karim2018 said:

Hi Guys/Gals,

I have a question about how to file my 2018 taxes. Got married a couple of months ago, filed for my wife to move to the states, but that won't happen anytime soon. In fact, I'm told the process takes 18-24 months before we can be together :( Long story short, she still lives overseas, so obviously she does not have a SS# or any type of tax id. She has not worked in 2018, but I did. So the question is how do I file?

Single?

I have done some reading on the subject, and I still don't get it! Very confusing stuff!

Thanks!

Unfortunately, you cannot file as married because the “marriage” has not been recognized. She will need to establish a SSN in order to pay taxes or be claimed as a dependent. Single will be your tax status. 

Timeline
25 minutes ago, Von1982 said:

Unfortunately, you cannot file as married because the “marriage” has not been recognized. She will need to establish a SSN in order to pay taxes or be claimed as a dependent. Single will be your tax status. 

Thank you m8, but that's NOT what this link says: https://www.hrblock.com/tax-center/filing/personal-tax-planning/tax-help-for-us-citizen-married-to-non-resident/

The issue is that other sites says something different, but all of them AGREE that I should not and cannot file as SINGLE. In fact, if I do file as single, then submit my 2018 tax returns along with the I-864, they will most certainly notice my filing status and question my marriage all together! If I were USCIS, that would be a HUGE RED FLAG!!! I called a tax gal the other day and she did now know what to do! I guess I will have to find a CPA or a tax expert and see what they recommend. In the meantime, if anyone has come across  a similar situation, I'd appreciate your input. Cheers!

Edited by Karim2018

Timeline
27 minutes ago, NigeriaorBust said:

The first response is wrong.  You are married.  Married there married here married everywhere .   She will not yet have a SSN until she has a visa.  You can file for the tax id and file jointly but you must include both your incomes world wide.   Filing separately may actually be the best way. 

Thank you! Your answer makes sense and I believe I've read something like that the other day. They were talking about getting or applying for a " individual taxpayer identification number" ITIN. On a separate note, maybe what you meant is that she cannot get a SSN until she's here in the States. Having a visa does not get her a SSN. She'll have to apply for one and in person, once she gets here. That much I know :)

Edited by Karim2018

42 minutes ago, Von1982 said:

Absolutely wrong. 

When you're married you file taxes as married. End of story. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Karim2018 said:

Thank you m8, but that's NOT what this link says: https://www.hrblock.com/tax-center/filing/personal-tax-planning/tax-help-for-us-citizen-married-to-non-resident/

The issue is that other sites says something different, but all of them AGREE that I should not and cannot file as SINGLE. In fact, if I do file as single, then submit my 2018 tax returns along with the I-864, they will most certainly notice my filing status and question my marriage all together! If I were USCIS, that would be a HUGE RED FLAG!!! I called a tax gal the other day and she did now know what to do! I guess I will have to find a CPA or a tax expert and see what they recommend. In the meantime, if anyone has come across  a similar situation, I'd appreciate your input. Cheers!

Sorry for misinforming. But this link below says it all

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-alien-spouse

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Roel said:

Absolutely wrong. 

When you're married you file taxes as married. End of story. 

You're right, but should I file as married filing jointly or married filing separately. Also can I claim my NR spouse on my taxes, knowing that she has not worked in 2018 (her worldwide income is zero) and that no one will claim her on their taxes? Thanks!

Edited by Karim2018

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Von1982 said:

Sorry for misinforming. But this link below says it all

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-alien-spouse

No worries m8! Thank you for the link!

Timeline
4 hours ago, Karim2018 said:

You're right, but should I file as married filing jointly or married filing separately. Also can I claim my NR spouse on my taxes, knowing that she has not worked in 2018 (her worldwide income is zero) and that no one will claim her on their taxes? Thanks!

You can do either married separately or married jointly. The ITIN process is pretty straightforward but it will require she sends you paper documents, she signs your joint tax return and she will need to sign a refund check if you get one too. 

I got an ITIN for my husband and it only took about 3 weeks to get the number then three weeks to get the refund but the most difficult part was the bank not cashing it until he signed it cause it was made out to my name AND his name. 

You can always run the numbers and see which is most advantageous then go from there to decide 

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
8 hours ago, Karim2018 said:

Hi Guys/Gals,

Single?

Thanks!

Advice:  File MFS this year then when she arrives and gets a SS# re-file 1040X.  You have 3 years to file an amended return.  If you ITIN and file you will not be able to deposit or cash your refund unless she signs it or you have a joint bank account to deposit it into (or) you can risk fedex'ing a paper check back and forth.

Feds get a free loan for awhile but your MFJ benefit isn't going to go away.

Even if she had income in 2018 it's foreign earned income and up to $104K is excludable. 

In short:  I wouldn't worry about her on your taxes right now. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

need  to do as I did when married in 2010

1.  go to IRS site https://www.irs.gov/individuals/how-do-i-apply-for-an-itin

2.  get Moroccan to fill out W7 

3.  get a POA from moroccan that enables you to sign tax form and do financal transactions (this part is important to allow u to later add spouse with that ITIN to your checking account according to federal banking regulations)

4. you also need copy of moroccan birth certificate and your moroccan marriage certificate (in Arabic and English)

5. do joint return as married filing jointly

i added Adil in 2010 and each year till he came in 2015

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.