Jump to content
killadocg23

Vaccines for I693?

17 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, killadocg23 said:

Hi,

Can someone point me in the direction of what vaccines are needed for the I693. The doctors offices charges an extra 400 for the vaccines and am sure I can get them done alot cheaper.

 

 

Thanks

Which vaccines did the civil surgeon (assuming it was one) told you to do? Or were you told to get immunized by your physician? 

 

What's your insurance like? I was under the impression that many insurance plans cover vaccines 100% (mine does despite the high deductible for everything other than vaccinations and routine visits). 

 

To sum up, two questions:

 

1. Why are you asking, or, who exactly told you that you need to be vaccinated?

2. What does your insurance plan cover, if anything (or, do you have one at all)? 


Adjusting from TN to GC as spouse of USC

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-11: Case is ready to be scheduled for interview

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - approved 

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expires 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, eckoin said:

Which vaccines did the civil surgeon (assuming it was one) told you to do? Or were you told to get immunized by your physician? 

 

What's your insurance like? I was under the impression that many insurance plans cover vaccines 100% (mine does despite the high deductible for everything other than vaccinations and routine visits). 

 

To sum up, two questions:

 

1. Why are you asking, or, who exactly told you that you need to be vaccinated?

2. What does your insurance plan cover, if anything (or, do you have one at all)? 

Hi,)

I dont have any shot records. So I would need the vaccines I assume. we do have medical insurance through my wifes job (she is a federal employee). My interview has been scheduled so I am trying to get my medical out the way. Just curious of what all I needed to do for the I693.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, killadocg23 said:

Hi,)

I dont have any shot records. So I would need the vaccines I assume. we do have medical insurance through my wifes job (she is a federal employee). My interview has been scheduled so I am trying to get my medical out the way. Just curious of what all I needed to do for the I693.

Preamble: I did have vaccination records that my local civil surgeon accepted as valid, so I didn't have to start from scratch. I needed an MMR and a TDAP. 

 

Since you don't have your vaccination record, here's what I would do:

 

Go to your local "Civil surgeon" office and ask which vaccinations you need done in order for them to sign off on I-693. Do this literally ASAP, because it's possible you'll need boosters to qualify (someone else can chime in). Once you get a list of vaccines, get them done at a CVS Minuteclinic or whatever is in your network. I'm sure a federal employee plan is solid on vaccines, 0% copay. If not, I'm sure it will be minimal. If not, CVS and the type charge absolute minimal fees anyway. 

 

Ask the civil surgeon what to do in order to have a completed form. 


Adjusting from TN to GC as spouse of USC

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-11: Case is ready to be scheduled for interview

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - approved 

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expires 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, eckoin said:

Preamble: I did have vaccination records that my local civil surgeon accepted as valid, so I didn't have to start from scratch. I needed an MMR and a TDAP. 

 

Since you don't have your vaccination record, here's what I would do:

 

Go to your local "Civil surgeon" office and ask which vaccinations you need done in order for them to sign off on I-693. Do this literally ASAP, because it's possible you'll need boosters to qualify (someone else can chime in). Once you get a list of vaccines, get them done at a CVS Minuteclinic or whatever is in your network. I'm sure a federal employee plan is solid on vaccines, 0% copay. If not, I'm sure it will be minimal. If not, CVS and the type charge absolute minimal fees anyway. 

 

Ask the civil surgeon what to do in order to have a completed form. 

Thanks. Will call them tomorrow and ask.

Thanks. I sent you a PM !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just about to ask something similar. This link shows a list of vaccines needed for immigration: https://www.uscis.gov/news/questions-and-answers/vaccination-requirements

 

I am a bit confused as to which of those vaccines would be lifetime immunization and which ones would require boosters as an adult.

 

I called my public health unit in Canada to ask about my immunization records and they told me they have nothing on file. I lived in the same region for childhood/teenage years but I moved around a lot as an adult. The last time I can recall any sort of vaccination was in 2007. So I’ll be due for some boosters. But it would be helpful to know how often the required vaccines are given since it will narrow down how many doctors offices I have to call back home for records.

 

Also, I understand there is a recent rule change and it’s now a good idea to submit the medical with the initial application rather than wait to bring it to the interview? And it’s now valid for 2 years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I went to the public health department and got all my vaccines done for free. I brought the page from I-693 with the vaccines list and they gave me what I needed from the list. Then I cane back a month later to get the 2nd dose for some of them. All was free.

Edited by bebkay

AoS Timeline:

12/12/18 Mailed AoS + EAD + AP

12/14/18 Package delivered at Chicago Lockbox

12/20/18 Text notifications received 

12/24/18 NOA1 received 

12/31/18 Biometrics Appointment letter received. Scheduled for 1/9/19

01/03/19 Biometrics walk-in done

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, noront said:

I was just about to ask something similar. This link shows a list of vaccines needed for immigration: https://www.uscis.gov/news/questions-and-answers/vaccination-requirements

 

I am a bit confused as to which of those vaccines would be lifetime immunization and which ones would require boosters as an adult.

 

I called my public health unit in Canada to ask about my immunization records and they told me they have nothing on file. I lived in the same region for childhood/teenage years but I moved around a lot as an adult. The last time I can recall any sort of vaccination was in 2007. So I’ll be due for some boosters. But it would be helpful to know how often the required vaccines are given since it will narrow down how many doctors offices I have to call back home for records.

Since you're Canadian, here's what I did, besides also calling Health Canada (who also told me to scram). I called my high school's school board and asked if they have my records. They said that they sure do, and that they'll mail them to wherever I asked free of charge, no further questions. 

 

That's it.

 

This is in Ontario, and I didn't move around much, but I'm guessing your last school district had your records by definition, since they do check this sort of thing. If not, call the previous school district. Someone will probably have your records. 

 

If you can get your Canadian records, the only one you need to get is TDAP (which everyone should get every 10 years and no one knows about that--people, get your Tdap). Go ahead and get it as soon as you can and get a printout. It's good practice. 

 

Otherwise (if you can't get your records for whatever reason), I'd recommend the same thing--call/visit a local civil surgeon and ask them what you need to get in your situation. But you should be able to get your school records anyway. 

Edited by eckoin

Adjusting from TN to GC as spouse of USC

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-11: Case is ready to be scheduled for interview

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - approved 

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expires 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, bebkay said:

I went to the public health department and got all my vaccines done for free. I brought the page from I-693 with the vaccines list and they gave me what I needed from the list. Then I cane back a month later to get the 2nd dose for some of them. All was free.

Good tip. What is the public health department? Serious question, I'm not sure how I'd get to mine. 

 

The reason I suggest talking to the civil surgeon is because not all vaccines are "age appropriate", so not all are required (though I don't see why you wouldn't get them anyway--just not necessarily at this stage, if not actually required) 


Adjusting from TN to GC as spouse of USC

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-11: Case is ready to be scheduled for interview

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - approved 

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expires 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eckoin said:

Since you're Canadian, here's what I did, besides also calling Health Canada (who also told me to scram). I called my high school's school board and asked if they have my records. They said that they sure do, and that they'll mail them to wherever I asked free of charge, no further questions. 

 

Good idea, thanks. I didn’t think of calling the school board. I’m also from Ontario so hopefully that’s a good sign. I did graduate 20 years ago. I do have a memory of the High School threatening to suspend me because my vaccinations weren’t up to date (I’m a big needle-phobe) so I know they were tracking it even back then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to have MMR and TDAP as well as a flu shot.

 

Thankfully, I'd already gotten these when I was back home (yay for socialized healthcare, it cost me an hour off work rather than $500+ here!) because my (now) sister in law had just had a baby before I was due to arrive so I wanted to get boosters before I went anywhere near a very small infant.   

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dentsflogged said:

I had to have MMR and TDAP as well as a flu shot.

 

Thankfully, I'd already gotten these when I was back home (yay for socialized healthcare, it cost me an hour off work rather than $500+ here!) because my (now) sister in law had just had a baby before I was due to arrive so I wanted to get boosters before I went anywhere near a very small infant.   

 

 

I had to get MMR only because my first dose was not MMR but three separate vaccines. TDAP is a 10 year thing, and I forgot about the flu shot--it wasn't in season when I had my I-693 done. 

 

But just to calm people's fears on the costs:

 

If you have medical insurance (and living in this country... You should), most plans cover vaccinations 100% without a copay. Check your plan, but it is standard on most. Even if the clinic you visit tells you otherwise, don't listen to them if you know your plan does. I had to fight a walk-in clinic for my varicella shot as they continued to insist I'll "just owe more after insurance denies the claim, pay now". Vaccines are covered by my plan. Check yours. 

 

If it's not, get your vaccines at a pharmacy if you can. It will be faster and a lot cheaper. All pharmacies offer the flu shot, and many pharmacies offer almost all other immunizations. Your grocery store can get you up to date on what you need for a fraction of the cost, or free with insurance provided it's in your network. 

 

Also a PSA: Costco pharmacy does not require a Costco card, and they do many vaccinations for even cheaper. I believe flu shots are $20. Go to your local Costco and if you don't have a membership, just tell them you're only going to the pharmacy. However, I don't believe they accept insurance. If you don't have insurance though, or your insurance doesn't cover vaccinations or they fall under a deductible and you're unlikely to hit your deductible, go to Costco. 

 

Do not go to urgent care for vaccines if you can help it; they will overcharge and may put it in as a doctor's visit even if you never see the doctor. 

Edited by eckoin

Adjusting from TN to GC as spouse of USC

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-11: Case is ready to be scheduled for interview

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - approved 

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expires 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, noront said:

Good idea, thanks. I didn’t think of calling the school board. I’m also from Ontario so hopefully that’s a good sign. I did graduate 20 years ago. I do have a memory of the High School threatening to suspend me because my vaccinations weren’t up to date (I’m a big needle-phobe) so I know they were tracking it even back then. 

I graduated 10 years ago and had no issues. I was also threatened with suspencion for not being up to date in high school, which is why I figured they have all of my records. I can vouch for YRDSB anyway. Good luck!

 

I'm guessing this approach may be helpful for some others who aren't Canadian as well. Schools generally keep records of vaccinations as they're required to attend the school in the first place. Your individual school doesn't keep such records, but the school board does (and sends notices if you're behind on immunizations). Go ahead and see if they still have them. 

Edited by eckoin

Adjusting from TN to GC as spouse of USC

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-11: Case is ready to be scheduled for interview

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - approved 

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expires 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just adding a little more info in case it helps and you're looking to avoid getting a whole series of vaccinations.  Check with your civil surgeon about having a titer test run.  Your regular doc can order it to detect the presence of the antibodies and help lower the amount of vaccines you'll need to get.  Check on the polio one though.  My PCP wasn't sure if my insurance would cover that particular one (something to do with how polio has nearly been stamped out.) 

 

This time of year, the flu vaccination I believe is mandatory though, so no way around that. 


Petitioner: USC | Applicant: B2 | (c)9 AOS (Marriage)

07/31/18: Filed I-130, I-130A

08/01/18: Delivered Potomac Processing Center

08/07/18: Text/Mail Notifications (for I-130)

08/14/18: Hard Copy NOA (for I-130)

08/24/18: Mailed I-485, I-765, I-864

08/27/18: Delivered

08/31/18: Filed

09/04/18: Text Notifications (for I-485, I-765, I-864)

09/06/18: Hard Copy NOA (for I-485, I-765, I-864)

09/14/18: Biometrics letter rec'd

09/26/18: Biometrics appt completed

10/02/18: Ready for interview to be scheduled.

12/18/18: Form I-130 APPROVED!

01/27/19: EAD Approved and card being printed!

02/02/19: Combo card and SSN card arrived!

...Waiting....

 

4vrsm5.pngN3Zem6.png

 

3cPLm6.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chocobo said:

Just adding a little more info in case it helps and you're looking to avoid getting a whole series of vaccinations.  Check with your civil surgeon about having a titer test run.  Your regular doc can order it to detect the presence of the antibodies and help lower the amount of vaccines you'll need to get.  Check on the polio one though.  My PCP wasn't sure if my insurance would cover that particular one (something to do with how polio has nearly been stamped out.) 

 

This time of year, the flu vaccination I believe is mandatory though, so no way around that. 

The only thing about titers is that bloodwork could potentially cost much more than just getting vaccinations. There's no harm in getting "unnecessary" vaccinations, so whichever is most convenient works. 

 

I had titers done for some diseases during pregnancy in the US, and the bloodwork panel was just over $900, under my annual deductible. Vaccines would have been covered completely, and even getting the full round would cost less than that. 

 

But someone suggested elsewhere that bloodwork could be counted under an annual physician exam. In my case, I'm sure my bloodwork had tests that are completely unrelated raising the total cost, but that was just for the lab cost, not counting any doctor visits. So I'm a bit wary on titers because labwork can get crazy expensive. 

 

Could still be worth it. People should consider both options and choose the one that makes more sense. 


Adjusting from TN to GC as spouse of USC

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-11: Case is ready to be scheduled for interview

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - approved 

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expires 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×