ChristopherCham

J1 visa that is terminated and marriage

65 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, geowrian said:

They appear to be pointing out that her violations are part of the reason why her fellow countrymen have difficulties getting non-immigrant visas. People often post about why their family members and friends can't visit them in the US - even for their wedding.

She's bucking the law still by continuing to work, and (illegally) not paying her fair share by not reporting it on taxes. That's not a good start. It does make one   wonder what else they will do if they think they can get away with it.

But none of this actually affects her individual case. She can AOS fine.

Okay i understand what you are saying, thanks for the reply. 

4 minutes ago, ChristopherCham said:

I apologize for all my questions, the residence that my fiancé and I live in is in another persons name and I’m unable to get on the lease and she obviously can’t either, is this a problem? 

Can you get a signed letter from the owner/landlord stating the occupants, arrangement, etc.?

The backup is other evidence of living there together (receipts, mail, utilities, etc. items with your names and address on it).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

9 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Can you get a signed letter from the owner/landlord stating the occupants, arrangement, etc.?

The backup is other evidence of living there together (receipts, mail, utilities, etc. items with your names and address on it).

I can try to get a signed letter, this arrangement was made before I came along and have asked to be put in the lease several times but for whatever reason, they won’t do it. Is it illegal for someone to let her live there and pay them rent ? We don’t have any utilities in her name and really no mail either but I have been living there for 3 months. I have another apartment with my name on the lease but it’s further away from her work and she is kind of stuck in some kind of agreement with the people that actually lease this apartment. I just don’t know how to prove we live together

5 hours ago, ChristopherCham said:

I can try to get a signed letter, this arrangement was made before I came along and have asked to be put in the lease several times but for whatever reason, they won’t do it. Is it illegal for someone to let her live there and pay them rent ? We don’t have any utilities in her name and really no mail either but I have been living there for 3 months. I have another apartment with my name on the lease but it’s further away from her work and she is kind of stuck in some kind of agreement with the people that actually lease this apartment. I just don’t know how to prove we live together

Get what you can, and provide anything else that shows you 2 at the same residence, same city, etc.

I can't speak to housing laws in your state. Usually there is a "default", non-written month to month lease once living at a location for at least x days. For example, once that is met, they cannot legally force you out of the residence without going through the eviction process. But this varies by state, locality, etc.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

23 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Get what you can, and provide anything else that shows you 2 at the same residence, same city, etc.

I can't speak to housing laws in your state. Usually there is a "default", non-written month to month lease once living at a location for at least x days. For example, once that is met, they cannot legally force you out of the residence without going through the eviction process. But this varies by state, locality, etc.

Okay thank you !

So when i submit these forms to the government for AOS for my fiance' (I notice that I can do this all online), how do i prove that i make enough money ? i notice in the required paperwork from me, it includes tax information showing that i make enough money. I have worked for the same company for the past year and even have a second job and made around 22,000 dollars from that job before taxes were taken out, but before this year my employment was not always as solid. Is this something that i have to worry alot about ? how can i show them my tax information for 2018 if i am submitting the forms before i receive my tax papers back ?

1 minute ago, ChristopherCham said:

So when i submit these forms to the government for AOS for my fiance' (I notice that I can do this all online), how do i prove that i make enough money ? i notice in the required paperwork from me, it includes tax information showing that i make enough money. I have worked for the same company for the past year and even have a second job and made around 22,000 dollars from that job before taxes were taken out, but before this year my employment was not always as solid. Is this something that i have to worry alot about ? how can i show them my tax information for 2018 if i am submitting the forms before i receive my tax papers back ?

Current income is king. If you are an employee (not self employed), then your pay stubs + employment letters would be the best evidence f your current income level. If self employed, then your income taxes would show your current income.

A copy of the most recent year's tax return (as of the date you file) is required. A tax transcript )once the shutdown is over) is the simplest way to provide this. Otherwise the 1040 + all W-2s/1099s/other schedules can be provided.

The 2 years prior to that are optional, but must be filed.

The 2018 taxes aren't due until tax day in 2019.

The IO looks at the totality of the circumstances to address the public charge concern. Income from past years (from your taxes) can be considered, but current income is the biggest factor IMO.

You can use assets to supplement income (at $3 assets = $1 income for the spouse of a USC).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

6 hours ago, geowrian said:

Current income is king. If you are an employee (not self employed), then your pay stubs + employment letters would be the best evidence f your current income level. If self employed, then your income taxes would show your current income.

A copy of the most recent year's tax return (as of the date you file) is required. A tax transcript )once the shutdown is over) is the simplest way to provide this. Otherwise the 1040 + all W-2s/1099s/other schedules can be provided.

The 2 years prior to that are optional, but must be filed.

The 2018 taxes aren't due until tax day in 2019.

The IO looks at the totality of the circumstances to address the public charge concern. Income from past years (from your taxes) can be considered, but current income is the biggest factor IMO.

You can use assets to supplement income (at $3 assets = $1 income for the spouse of a USC).

Geowrian - Thank you for all of your responses you have been really helpful 

Can someone help guide me a bit here ? 

I am looking at the I-485 form with my fiance and the form asks about her employment history. I met my fiance at a restaurant that we both work at and she has been working here for the past 7 months and she has also been employed by 2 other restaurants since she has lived here in the United States. I think it would be a bad idea to lie about any of this but my fiance is concerned about getting these people that have employed her in trouble. I understand that both parties have broken the law in this situation since she is not authorized to work here but moving forward i could use some direction or maybe just know what to expect since we will be honest when filling out this form.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
2 minutes ago, ChristopherCham said:

Can someone help guide me a bit here ? 

I am looking at the I-485 form with my fiance and the form asks about her employment history. I met my fiance at a restaurant that we both work at and she has been working here for the past 7 months and she has also been employed by 2 other restaurants since she has lived here in the United States. I think it would be a bad idea to lie about any of this but my fiance is concerned about getting these people that have employed her in trouble. I understand that both parties have broken the law in this situation since she is not authorized to work here but moving forward i could use some direction or maybe just know what to expect since we will be honest when filling out this form.

If you are going to be honest when filling out the form, then why ask for guidance about lying by omission?

1 hour ago, ChristopherCham said:

Not asking for guidance about lying by omission, really just wondering what the government will do about this ?

Most likely nothing.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Depends on your state.  Be super helpful if you had a profile.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.