43 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
7 hours ago, Anna1988 said:

We didn't exchange rings. We we're just taking pictures with family. There is a picture of me sitting beside him. There may be a picture of an exchange of gifts, but I'm not sure. I really didn't know what was going on. But we didn't stand facing each other.

What happened after the knocking ceremony?  Were gifts accepted?  Did you go to his home?  Is wearing matching outfits usually customary at the knocking ceremony?  Is it customary at the wedding?

I am not judging.  I am curious concerning the customs there.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Well you still have a wait don't know what date you picked fro wedding but you still have some processing to do then getting into that calendar to pick your interview date.. Ghana and Nigeria that I know are already in March and April dates so be prepared for that you could well be in May April or May Interviews.

You asked what you can do. At this point all your fiance' can do is be honest at interview. Can't undo what has been done. Just be prepared.

And I actually know a couple had interview a few weeks ago and she was there in Ghana and the CO requested for her to come and talk to them to answer questions. If she didn't come to Ghana we are sure he would have been denied. In this case you being there probably makes no matter since the knocking ceremony is a Ghanaian tradition not American so your fiance' needs to speak on that if it comes up.

All you can do now is have faith all is well. Start calling NVC in 2 to 3 weeks to get your case# so you can get things moving along. Good luck.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

having  a positive thinking is the best. You need to relax over this. Consular officers to Ghana typically get a brush up on our customs. What you describe is a knocking ceremony and everyone in Ghana  knows the knocking is not the wedding (traditional marriage). so what is your problem .Indeed in our culture the knocking is similar to  western engagement. If it comes  up at the interview,  tell the co lil bit about it. you can also start thinking of cr1. wish you  all the best.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Not sure how you can time a Wedding based on a K1 so far in advance when there are so many variables that can come into play, no matter the view on the knocking ceremony, I know this ceremony has been discussed in detail in past threads.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
15 hours ago, Anna1988 said:

We didn't exchange rings. We we're just taking pictures with family. There is a picture of me sitting beside him. There may be a picture of an exchange of gifts, but I'm not sure. I really didn't know what was going on. But we didn't stand facing each other.

I know that Ghana has been notated as a high fraud country but personally I don't think you have to worry. Honestly, Visajourney sometimes gave me more anxiety than I needed to have. I know my husband did not come from a high fraud country so I cannot relate on that aspect, but at the same time the CO wants to see pictures with family to show you have a true relationship so i don't think that's bad evidence to send.

K1 Journey from Spain to USA :wub:
10-25-2017 I-129F Sent to Lewisville
10-27-2017 NOA1
XX-XX-XXXX NOA2 :jest:
XX-XX-XXXX NVC Received
XX-XX-XXXX Interview Scheduled
XX-XX-XXXX POE :whistle:
XX-XX-XXXX Married 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

OP has mentioned a couple of things, no idea if these are the only issues or there are others.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
8 hours ago, missileman said:

What happened after the knocking ceremony?  Were gifts accepted?  Did you go to his home?  Is wearing matching outfits usually customary at the knocking ceremony?  Is it customary at the wedding?

I am not judging.  I am curious concerning the customs there.

I asked my fiance last night. There were NO gifts exchanged. I don't know if wearing matching outfits is normal. No I didn't go to his home. After the knocking ceremony everyone left. From what he told me, it is custom to have a knocking ceremony a few weeks before a traditional wedding. But there was no bride price, gifts or anything. We are going to pray and trust God. I know there are many other cases where it caused problems but I have to have faith now that God will allow them to understand that it wasn't a wedding.

Edited by Anna1988
Typo

Timeline
6 hours ago, dwheels76 said:

Well you still have a wait don't know what date you picked fro wedding but you still have some processing to do then getting into that calendar to pick your interview date.. Ghana and Nigeria that I know are already in March and April dates so be prepared for that you could well be in May April or May Interviews.

You asked what you can do. At this point all your fiance' can do is be honest at interview. Can't undo what has been done. Just be prepared.

And I actually know a couple had interview a few weeks ago and she was there in Ghana and the CO requested for her to come and talk to them to answer questions. If she didn't come to Ghana we are sure he would have been denied. In this case you being there probably makes no matter since the knocking ceremony is a Ghanaian tradition not American so your fiance' needs to speak on that if it comes up.

All you can do now is have faith all is well. Start calling NVC in 2 to 3 weeks to get your case# so you can get things moving along. Good luck.

Thank you

35 minutes ago, Bayman said:

having  a positive thinking is the best. You need to relax over this. Consular officers to Ghana typically get a brush up on our customs. What you describe is a knocking ceremony and everyone in Ghana  knows the knocking is not the wedding (traditional marriage). so what is your problem .Indeed in our culture the knocking is similar to  western engagement. If it comes  up at the interview,  tell the co lil bit about it. you can also start thinking of cr1. wish you  all the best.

Thank you! We are doing our best to pray and stay positive.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
15 hours ago, Anna1988 said:

We have already been approved by USCIS and are waiting for our packet to be sent to NVC and then the U.S. embassy in Ghana. I am so sad because I just read that people have been denied for submitting pictures of their traditional engagement ceremony. We had a traditional knocking ceremony at my dad's house in Ghana, wearing matching cloth. My mother, sister and none of my family and friends from America are there. I also have pictures of me announcing this as an engagement on Facebook.

We did not get married. But we included lots of pictures of us with my dying father, his parents, and our family. I'm trying not to cry but it looks like we're screwed! Even if I tell my fiance not to take the pictures to the interview, we've already submitted them in the petition, which the embassy will see. Even though I've included wedding invitations, wedding contracts in the petition, will they still think we're married? This is a horrible mistake that many Americans would make thinking that it will help them. I'm mad and sad at the same time.

I am 29 years old and I don't want to wait another 2 years to marry my fiance! I have also spent THOUSANDS of dollars on wedding venue, invitations, DJ, photographer, etc. Please someone help! I am praying and ultimately trusting in God. However, I am really discouraged now. Is there anything that we can do to counter this?

Also, what is frontloading?

My sister please relax and pray , the  COs are totally unpredictable. Just try and know each other very well before the interview and if there are any red flags try to know how to deal with it , i mean the answers that you will give to the COs when you are asked to explain . VJ always helps to prepare you in advance for your interview but it doesn't mean other people's shortfalls will apply to your case  " DIFFERENT PEOPLE DIFFERENT CASES DIFFERENT EXPERIENCES "

Please keep the thread updated with how it goes.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
28 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Not sure how you can time a Wedding based on a K1 so far in advance when there are so many variables that can come into play, no matter the view on the knocking ceremony, I know this ceremony has been discussed in detail in past threads.

It's pretty normal to time a wedding. I didn't know about all of the things going wrong. I looked at the longest time it took and added 3 months. It's an honest mistake so I'd rather not even discuss that. And you should read my previous responses. I think many people here assume that people applying should know all of this and all the details, as you said. What needs to be understood is that if someone is asking a question, it's usually because they found this site afterward. So everyone would need to be kind and pray for them. I cannot understand how we all know how stressful these processes are and to see someone who didn't know and basically make them feel worse.

Since you were not sure how I could or why, I'm writing this so you can understand. I was careful and waited and researched before applying. Now it's like coming into a world of information and wishing you'd seen it sooner. Please, PLEASE, be aware of this if you happen to see someone else that seemed to be making stupid decisions that could have been avoided. We all make mistakes.

Timeline
26 minutes ago, JMCKNG said:

I know that Ghana has been notated as a high fraud country but personally I don't think you have to worry. Honestly, Visajourney sometimes gave me more anxiety than I needed to have. I know my husband did not come from a high fraud country so I cannot relate on that aspect, but at the same time the CO wants to see pictures with family to show you have a true relationship so i don't think that's bad evidence to send.

Thanks for the encouragement. I mean it. I don't know what will happen. Should things go wrong, I now know what my plan B is thanks to visa journey.

I'm going to pray about my plan A and trust in God with all my might. I know it looks silly to do so but at this point that's all that I can do. Not that I'm special, but God is able.

Thanks again!

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Adutwum said:

My sister please relax and pray , the  COs are totally unpredictable. Just try and know each other very well before the interview and if there are any red flags try to know how to deal with it , i mean the answers that you will give to the COs when you are asked to explain . VJ always helps to prepare you in advance for your interview but it doesn't mean other people's shortfalls will apply to your case  " DIFFERENT PEOPLE DIFFERENT CASES DIFFERENT EXPERIENCES "

Thank you so much for the encouragement! What you have said is very true. We will pray continuously and be careful. When the time comes, we will be prepared for the decision.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Remember with a K1 the requirement is to marry within 90 days of entry into the US. You can always marry at the courthouse to fulfill the legal requirement and then plan an elborate reception at a later date. Maybe your vendors would be willing to waive the rescheduling fees if you chose an off-season date with more avaibaility. Sometimes vendors are more flexible with dates that are not during prime season. It may not be axactly what you envisioned but it might help with the financial side. Don't panic just yet, but it wouldn't hurt to call the vendors and explore options. Hope things work out.

Edited by theresaL

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.