Oakmen

Apply for EAD right away or wait until after marriage?

61 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

1) Disagree that it doesn't cost anything to the country to have non-workers, it directly costs tax dollars.

2) Agree the process is very inefficient and mismanaged. Drove me crazy waiting for the K-1 for my wife.

3) My wife and I got married right away at the courthouse. Can have the wedding party whenever you want with family and friends, just get the paperwork out of the way now. (Unless you want to wait for personal reasons of course)

AjIr9Cp.jpgVBcIOnI.giftCxpVPB.gif19B8PJM.gifWJvjtpL.gifv0iSLWp.gif

2079070924_Webp.net-resizeimage(3).png.40aa360e06b2e929a52d4af17362bc4a.png

jDSUBz2.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, George & Roth said:

1) Disagree that it doesn't cost anything to the country to have non-workers, it directly costs tax dollars.

In what way?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

2 minutes ago, George & Roth said:

Thinking of their tax on wages. 

Counterpoint: Somebody else already authorized to work in the US could get the job instead.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
1 minute ago, geowrian said:

Counterpoint: Somebody else already authorized to work in the US could get the job instead.

Bingo..........I was in the process of forming the best way to say that.....😁

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Just now, geowrian said:

That is true on a small scale, larger scale if more people were authorized to work it would increase the size of the workforce and tax monies collected. 

There are unemployment rates and other market conditions which could, of course, make that less true, or not true at all. 

AjIr9Cp.jpgVBcIOnI.giftCxpVPB.gif19B8PJM.gifWJvjtpL.gifv0iSLWp.gif

2079070924_Webp.net-resizeimage(3).png.40aa360e06b2e929a52d4af17362bc4a.png

jDSUBz2.gif

Just now, George & Roth said:

That is true on a small scale, larger scale if more people were authorized to work it would increase the size of the workforce and tax monies collected. 

There are unemployment rates and other market conditions which could, of course, make that less true, or not true at all. 

Absolutely agree in principle. There is no one-size-fits-all solution. The net gain/loss is likely to even change over time as other economic factors also change.

Some jobs will go unfulfilled for long periods of time when a K-1 holder could have filled it and earned income, paid taxes, improve the business they are working for, etc.

Some jobs would just have increased competition. This lowers wages, income taxes collected, etc.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Just returned from a ten day trip to Brazil to be with my husband and saw this thread.  One observation that might help OP and others get a little perspective.  The US immigration process, especially K1 and CR1 is long and complex for anyone to try and understand.  Processing times change over time so there is an element of unpredictability.  And it is very clear from reading this and similar threads that VJ members are at very different levels of understanding of the process.  Every day we see questions that could very easily have been answered just by reading one of the guides, yet they are asked over and over, frustrating long-time members.  Some new members even think that once the petition is approved or "adjudicated" by USCIS, that the process is over and the visa will be issued at the same time.  Clearly they have not studied the process and do not know about NVC, consulate/embassy abroad, and all the steps that could add weeks, months, or even years after a petition is approved.  Maybe it's love, and being in love could be one reason people jump into a visa application without doing thorough research.  Sometimes the petitioner knows more about the process than the beneficiary, or vice versa, further adding to the element of "surprise" when someone finds out how long things really take.  Or couples use attorneys or visa processing companies who promise to speed things up, which in reality is not possible and often slows everything down.  So a little empathy for OP--I feel your pain as others here in VJ do.  More research and study of guides and similar cases discussed here every day helps immensely with this complicated, long, and frustrating journey.  At least you are with your loved one now.  Appreciate that one very big improvement in your situation, learn as much as you can and good luck with the rest of your process!

Timeline
6 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

Just returned from a ten day trip to Brazil to be with my husband and saw this thread.  One observation that might help OP and others get a little perspective.  The US immigration process, especially K1 and CR1 is long and complex for anyone to try and understand.  Processing times change over time so there is an element of unpredictability.  And it is very clear from reading this and similar threads that VJ members are at very different levels of understanding of the process.  Every day we see questions that could very easily have been answered just by reading one of the guides, yet they are asked over and over, frustrating long-time members.  Some new members even think that once the petition is approved or "adjudicated" by USCIS, that the process is over and the visa will be issued at the same time.  Clearly they have not studied the process and do not know about NVC, consulate/embassy abroad, and all the steps that could add weeks, months, or even years after a petition is approved.  Maybe it's love, and being in love could be one reason people jump into a visa application without doing thorough research.  Sometimes the petitioner knows more about the process than the beneficiary, or vice versa, further adding to the element of "surprise" when someone finds out how long things really take.  Or couples use attorneys or visa processing companies who promise to speed things up, which in reality is not possible and often slows everything down.  So a little empathy for OP--I feel your pain as others here in VJ do.  More research and study of guides and similar cases discussed here every day helps immensely with this complicated, long, and frustrating journey.  At least you are with your loved one now.  Appreciate that one very big improvement in your situation, learn as much as you can and good luck with the rest of your process!

Well said...........this thread will serve as a great tool in the future for others.........this immigration process whether K-1, CR-1, or other, requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, patience, time, and money......

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Some time back you could get the 90 day EAD at the Airport, you could get the adjustment EAD within a month or 2 and the GC interview did not take forever, so the process sort of makes sense.

However timelines have shifted and as is common with Governmental things a lot of this now no longer makes sense, it is what it is and all you can do is decide which options are logical to you.

To anyone coming on a K1 pretty much essential now to file asap and get a job offer to justify an expedite. Assuming you are not OK with a long holiday. For reasons that have been discussed endlessly a K1 generally is not a good choice now.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

4 minutes ago, missileman said:

Well said...........this thread will serve as a great tool in the future for others.........this immigration process whether K-1, CR-1, or other, requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, patience, time, and money......

I agree @missileman 

Even though im new in this process and im still in first stage of aos.. me and my husband review and compare the visas for 8 months before we file so we expect no work,and cant do much government thing while in the US..no regrets here with k1 as im happy with my husband.

13 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

This is a well said comment👍👍👏👏

Even expedites are taking a few months in many cases now.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

7 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Some time back you could get the 90 day EAD at the Airport, you could get the adjustment EAD within a month or 2 and the GC interview did not take forever, so the process sort of makes sense.

However timelines have shifted and as is common with Governmental things a lot of this now no longer makes sense, it is what it is and all you can do is decide which options are logical to you.

To anyone coming on a K1 pretty much essential now to file asap and get a job offer to justify an expedite. Assuming you are not OK with a long holiday. For reasons that have been discussed endlessly a K1 generally is not a good choice now.

K1 is only not a good choice to the beneficiaries who wants to work right away. It seems to me they only come here to work and not for their loved one or maybe they just want to work to help their love..  i understand some country like mine"Philippines" that they want to work soon as possible to help their family back home.. but what i dont understand is that they come here on k1 and no idea how the process work when it comes into getting an EAD.

And i will remember the "getting a job offer and seek an expedite" even though i still dont know what that means. It will give members some hope whenever they got a job offer.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lithuania
Timeline
16 hours ago, missileman said:

Words of wisdom.

17 hours ago, carmel34 said:

EXACTLY. And when you tell someone "Go and read the guidelines and don't ask questions that literally a person above you asked" my comment gets removed and i get a strike for being personal and attacking a person. I'm genuinely not attacking anyone here nor trying to be smart-pants or rude. I'm just telling what others thinking. If you ask a question "when" there are two options : check processing times here or USCIS website. OR nobody knows. Same goes "what's next" . USCIS website, VJ step-by-step. There is no reason for not knowing whats next. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.