Chris Duffy

Do you think they will shut down the USEM for visa interviews

76 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Chris Duffy said:

Incorrect:

Does not mention embassies, only uscis office doing green cards which I suspect is in the USA

They closed the USEM down visa and conular office down in 2013 when Obama shut the government down.  If it continues the Government shutdown then they will close up the visa section again

https://www.gmanetwork.com/news/news/photo/45804/us-embassy-closes-amid-shut-down-of-federal-govt-/photo/

It mentions embassies under Travel and Tourism: 

"Embassies and consulates overseas will continue to provide services to American citizens."

3 minutes ago, juggy_11 said:

"Embassies and consulates overseas will continue to provide services to American citizens."

USCs are not visa applicants.

While there are only guidelines, passport services and some critical protections the embassy provides would likely fall under those guidelines for being exempt.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Just now, geowrian said:

USCs are not visa applicants.

While there are only guidelines, passport services and some critical protections the embassy provides would likely fall under those guidelines for being exempt.

https://www.boundless.com/blog/latest-government-shutdown-wont-disrupt-immigration-system/

"While a partial government shutdown is bound to cause serious disruption across the nine federal departments and many other agencies affected, the immigration system carries on more or less as usual. That’s because most immigration-related agencies are funded directly by user fees, and don’t depend on Congress (or taxpayers) for their budget."

There's your answer.

27 minutes ago, juggy_11 said:

IF you read my very first post I said it will be opened to USA Citizens only and probably on a case by case basis.  That is what they do on major holidays when they have a skeleton crew. I know because I was there during Holy Week and went to the Embassy when it was closed down for a few days,  they told me they have a skeleton crew and I asked what if I needed help for an emergency, they said it was a case by case basis.

They will probably shut down the Social Security area for US citizens as well if the shutdown continues much longer

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

IF you read my very first post I said it will be opened to USA Citizens only and probably on a case by case basis.  That is what they do on major holidays when they have a skeleton crew. I know because I was there during Holy Week and went to the Embassy when it was closed down for a few days,  they told me they have a skeleton crew and I asked what if I needed help for an emergency, they said it was a case by case basis.

They will probably shut down the Social Security area for US citizens as well if the shutdown continues much longer

SSA reached a full year funding agreement in September so they are probably good until then

YMMV

2 hours ago, John & Rose said:

Yep.  If I remember correctly, the petitions are fee based but eventually all the ancillary stuff impacts the work.  It is only a matter of time before budgets start impacting some of the support services that are required to keep the petitions moving.  That includes support staff at the embassies.  In the Philippines, as with other embassies and consulates, there are a lot of local workers and once the budget runs out and they can't get paid it pretty much shuts down most non-essential services.

Nope. It will keep on running. The uscis will keep on running but workers wont get paid till the goverment reopen. Thats the was case scenario though.

6 hours ago, Paul & Mary said:

DOS and USCIS are open.  They are funded by the "User Fees" that are paid for the Visa.   Other sections of the Embassy may be closed.

Paul and Mary correct. But some folks refused to accept it or believe it. They rather  chose to get worried and be frustrated

20 minutes ago, payxibka said:

SSA reached a full year funding agreement in September so they are probably good until then

Yep. I think february 8

Just now, Mr Genuis said:

Nope. It will keep on running. The uscis will keep on running but workers wont get paid till the goverment reopen. Thats the was case scenario though.

In the past they furloughed the locals and closed all but essential services. Only essential personnel worked without pay. Everyone else went home. They did not have interviews since only US citizens were allowed in the embassy. This is not happening soon but if the shutdown goes on long enough USCIS will continue to process petitions, NVC will continue to process visa applications but the Consular Services will not be able to have interviews since only USC will be allowed into the embassies. We are not talking tomorrow. We are talking about a couple months down the road. This has happened before. Until the shutdown seriously hits the ancillary services we are doing business as usual. 

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

1 hour ago, juggy_11 said:

Why do friends keep on assuming? What is there too difficult to understand? Everything is clearly written on USCIS OFFICIAL WEBSITE yet ranting every where if offices will be close or open? Please friends calm down and go straight to the source. Ones and for all USCIS will keep operating as normal because its fees funded. As such federal anual budget do not affect it. The worse scenario is workee could work without pay but NOTICE... offices will keep operating.

Just now, John & Rose said:

In the past they furloughed the locals and closed all but essential services. Only essential personnel worked without pay. Everyone else went home. They did not have interviews since only US citizens were allowed in the embassy. This is not happening soon but if the shutdown goes on long enough USCIS will continue to process petitions, NVC will continue to process visa applications but the Consular Services will not be able to have interviews since only USC will be allowed into the embassies. We are not talking tomorrow. We are talking about a couple months down the road. This has happened before. Until the shutdown seriously hits the ancillary services we are doing business as usual. 

The best responds so far. It makes a lot of sence and clearly explain what i have been posting so far. I hope many look at this post as a reference or so. Thanks

3 minutes ago, Mr Genuis said:

The best responds so far. It makes a lot of sence and clearly explain what i have been posting so far. I hope many look at this post as a reference or so. Thanks

It is very rare that the shutdown lasts long enough to have a serious impact. It has happened but it takes a while to get there. 

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

1 hour ago, Chris Duffy said:

SS in the USA is not shut down as I just visited them last week to take care of some pending issues I had. I think that is an essential function and would be available to anyone in need of SS services. JMO

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

57 minutes ago, Mr Genuis said:

Why do friends keep on assuming? What is there too difficult to understand? Everything is clearly written on USCIS OFFICIAL WEBSITE yet ranting every where if offices will be close or open? Please friends calm down and go straight to the source. Ones and for all USCIS will keep operating as normal because its fees funded. As such federal anual budget do not affect it. The worse scenario is workee could work without pay but NOTICE... offices will keep operating.

Well you did take care of one of the three pillars of the visa process. It's like the Father, Son and Holy Ghost but we have USCIS, DHS and DOS. :D And, who are the "workee's" :lol:

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

4 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

SS in the USA is not shut down as I just visited them last week to take care of some pending issues I had. I think that is an essential function and would be available to anyone in need of SS services. JMO

Again

I am talking about the SS part at the USEM off Roxas Blvd, my relative is about to fly from Davao to Manila and go to the Embassy regarding some SS questions or issues.

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.