28 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline

Does anyone have any experience with marriage in a third party country, i.e., not either of your home country?

Then registering the marriage in each of your respective home countries?

Does anyone have an experience or knowledge about this?

Thank you!

Well the USA doesn't require anyone to register their marriage.  So you'd have to check with your home country to see if they require that.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
5 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Well the USA doesn't require anyone to register their marriage.  So you'd have to check with your home country to see if they require that.  

Thank you.  I'm new to this process, so forgive me if I sound stupid.

So I'm wondering if there would be any issues if we got married in a third country... not USA, and not SO's home country.  Wondering if anyone else has done this or knows anything about it.

4 minutes ago, MohamedAndRebecca said:

So I'm wondering if there would be any issues if we got married in a third country... not USA, and not SO's home country.  Wondering if anyone else has done this or knows anything about it.

Just whatever rules and regulations are required by said country and your own. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
10 minutes ago, MohamedAndRebecca said:

No issues from a US immigration standpoint.

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
41 minutes ago, MohamedAndRebecca said:

is there a reason you didn't want to get married in either home country?

don't get me wrong that is your choice, just was curious if there was an obstacle you were trying to avoid.

Edited by Khallaf

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Khallaf said:

is there a reason you didn't want to get married in either home country?

don't get me wrong that is your choice, just was curious if there was an obstacle you were trying to avoid.

Kind of, some personal issues.  Such as disgreements from my family, etc.  Nothing that would entirely stop us, just trying to work a few things out. :) 

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
1 hour ago, MohamedAndRebecca said:

Does anyone have any experience with marriage in a third party country, i.e., not either of your home country?

Then registering the marriage in each of your respective home countries?

Does anyone have an experience or knowledge about this?

Thank you!

We got married in my wife's country.  I brought the marriage book back with me, had it translated, and filed a copy of the translation with the petition.  There were no issues.

Marriage is legalized in the country where the marriage took place.  The US accepts the country specific legal document from that country.

Edited by Nitas_man

Timeline
9 minutes ago, MohamedAndRebecca said:

Kind of, some personal issues.  Such as disgreements from my family, etc.  Nothing that would entirely stop us, just trying to work a few things out. :) 

I wouldn't think there would be anything that would be an issue, there would be steps for him to register the marriage in Egypt and get the family registration updated.

If its just your family, that doesn't approve and well they don't have to, but from experience, Egypt will look at his family for acceptance.

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Khallaf said:

I wouldn't think there would be anything that would be an issue, there would be steps for him to register the marriage in Egypt and get the family registration updated.

If its just your family, that doesn't approve and well they don't have to, but from experience, Egypt will look at his family for acceptance.

The US doesn't care a whit about "family registrations in Egypt".  They want the document showing that the marriage is legal and valid in the country where the marriage took place.

Edited by Nitas_man

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Khallaf said:

It is entirely my family who is the problem :-\  I fully understand their acceptance isn't needed when it comes to immigration... But that still doesn't mean I want to piss them off or upset them further.  They are extremely difficult to work with.  If it wasn't for them this wouldn't be an issue.  I'm just trying to figure out how to make them least upset.  Thank you for your advice though!

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

The US doesn't care a whit about "family registrations in Egypt".  They want the document showing that the marriage is legal and valid in the country where the marriage took place.

I was talking about the registration with Egypt

presumably, the interview will take place in Egypt and with the interview they will ask the for the family registration certification.

Edited by Khallaf

Timeline
4 minutes ago, MohamedAndRebecca said:

It is entirely my family who is the problem :-\  I fully understand their acceptance isn't needed when it comes to immigration... But that still doesn't mean I want to piss them off or upset them further.  They are extremely difficult to work with.  If it wasn't for them this wouldn't be an issue.  I'm just trying to figure out how to make them least upset.  Thank you for your advice though!

I am not in the least bit want to upset you, but attempting that might be harder than you think.

I do not know your family, so please I am just merely pointing out, but upsetting them less, I would think would have no barring on the location of where you get married unless they were concerned for your safety in Egypt and not about who it is that you are in love with to marry.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
4 hours ago, MohamedAndRebecca said:

If you can arrange to marry in a country where neither of you resides, that in and of itself is not a problem.  If you need to subsequently register the marriage in Egypt, fine.  For the US, married is married.  No need for any "registration".

HOWEVER, the personal issues you mentioned can be a huge red flag in actually getting the visa.  You mention family disagreements.  The nature of and reasons for those disagreements can weigh heavily on a Consular Officer's visa decision.  What kind of issues are we talking about here?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

One good thing about a marriage certificate is that fact that no matter were the marriage took place, as long as the marriage was legally done with legal marriage certificate USCIS will accept it. On top of that once you're in the USCIS you can use your outside marriage certificate regardless of where it was obtained to prove you are married for other benefits where marriage certificate is required like registration of child birth certificates etc.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.