MaryJean

Evidence of bona fide relationship included in initial cr1 filing?

36 posts in this topic

My fiance and I met almost 2 years ago online. He lives in Egypt, and I will be flying there in March and we will be getting married on our first visit.  I know already that getting married on the first visit is going to be a red flag, and I'm also older than he is which is another red flag.  I have heard differing information about what evidence needs to be included in the initial CR1 filing. Obviously I will be including boarding passes and photographs while I'm there and anything else that I can collect from my trip.  However,  Some say that all of the screenshots of the video chats and call logs that I've been collecting since the first day of our relationship don't need to be included in the initial filing... only that you bring it to the interview. Is that correct? Has anyone had any experience with a similar situation at the US Embassy in Cairo?  I know that that is a tough Embassy to deal with, and because of the red flags in our relationship wouldn't it be best for me too front load all of our evidence with the petition, so that the consular officer sees it before the interview?  Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

You are setting yourself up for failure....and you realize it.......SMH!

https://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Visit more..........get to know your fiance......

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

One more thing:  The only thing which will overcome the red flags you mentioned is more time together.....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

The best is to develop the relationship and eliminate as many red flags as possible before you file the I-130.

Red Flag: marry on 1st trip.  Best: don't marry on 1st trip.  Make a few trips and develop the relationship material for the I-130.

The saying is ####### in, then ####### out.  You start with a bunch of red flags, then you know what the results will be.

Search for user "Love to Teach"  on VJ and you can see the problems she had.  You are recreating her pattern and expecting a different result.  You will be disappointed.  

What’s the rush to get married? Would you marry someone here you’ve never met before? Take time to get to know each other, not just to improve your visa chances but to improve your relationship chances too. 

If it’s real love, it’ll be worth the wait. 

Curious as to how big the age gap is. A few years won’t be a huge issue. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Just seen your previous thread - a 29-year age gap. This is not going to end well if you marry on the first visit and file immediately. You were told back in June how flawed this plan was. It’s too bad you didn’t take the advice then. Many people who commented on that original thread have been through the MENA embassies and speak with (often painful) experience. 

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

*~*~*procedural question moved from “progress reports” to “process and procedures”*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You certainly need to front load your application but first need good evidence to submit.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I am facing an age difference with my husband's CR1 application, and after much research, the only way you will be successful in overcoming it, is to submit evidence of more face time and visits to see each other (I am in currently in Brazil for my 7th visit), and lots of co-mingling of finances evidence.  Marrying on the first visit to see each other face to face and filing the I-130 shortly after is setting up your application for eventual denial then a long process of appeal or submitting more evidence or eventually trying again with more evidence and another I-130.  All of that could take years.  Why not listen to the advice, wait until you know each other better through multiple in-person visits, more co-mingling of finances, and then submit the I-130?  Whether you listen and follow the advice given or disregard it will probably lead to the same end result--you will not be able to be together in the US for many years.  And as others have asked, if you can never be in the US together, what are your plans?  Divorce him because you refuse to live in Egypt or some other country together?  Many experienced VJ members have posted advice based on years of dealing with similar cases--take it or leave it, but know going in that if you rush things it will likely be denied, leading to frustration and more waiting, so why not be proactive, patient, and more confident in the eventual outcome?  Food for thought, but good luck whatever you decide to do!

6 hours ago, MaryJean said:

My fiance and I met almost 2 years ago online. He lives in Egypt, and I will be flying there in March and we will be getting married on our first visit.  I know already that getting married on the first visit is going to be a red flag, and I'm also older than he is which is another red flag.  I have heard differing information about what evidence needs to be included in the initial CR1 filing. Obviously I will be including boarding passes and photographs while I'm there and anything else that I can collect from my trip.  However,  Some say that all of the screenshots of the video chats and call logs that I've been collecting since the first day of our relationship don't need to be included in the initial filing... only that you bring it to the interview. Is that correct? Has anyone had any experience with a similar situation at the US Embassy in Cairo?  I know that that is a tough Embassy to deal with, and because of the red flags in our relationship wouldn't it be best for me too front load all of our evidence with the petition, so that the consular officer sees it before the interview?  Thanks.

You have a huge uphill battle.  It will be difficult to prove legitimate relationship and the red flags you have stacked against you are significant.  The ONLY way to get this to work is to spend YEARS getting to know each other.  Without years of face to face time it will be difficult to prove that an american woman has truly attracted the love of an Egyptian man who is 29 years younger.  There is no chance for him to procreate and that is a huge part of his culture.  He is from a high fraud area and you have never met i n person.  I don't see an approval as being possible without years of FaceTime.  If you truly love him I respectfully recommend that you move to Egypt for a few years before you attempt a CR-1. 

Screen shots of video chats and chat logs do not prove anything.  They would be worthless in your case.  Front loading would require years of pictures together not just one trip worth.  

Edited by John & Rose

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
6 hours ago, MaryJean said:

Speaking from experience of working with a tough embassy front loading and side loading and over compensating for red flags made no difference.  I would highly recommend NOT marrying on the first trip.   I know its very difficult (especially in our case where our faith makes dating difficult) but the embassy doesn't care much about the reason.   We have had 5 visits in under two years and lots of other evidence but we are still having a difficult time getting the visa.  Our only red flags are married on first visit and prior marriages (we were both married young and divorced).  

It's a very difficult and long road you have to have some tough skin and really know what you are doing to get through it.  This journey is not for the weak.

Edited by Ahmed&Freda

10 hours ago, MaryJean said:

Why not move to Egypt?  Unless your fiancé was a teenager when you met two years ago, you are most probably retiring soon.  Retiring on the beach by the Red Sea while your fiancé/spouse supports you sounds great to me.   

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline
3 hours ago, JFH said:

I’m just thinking about this....the OP must be older than me. I’m 44 and if a man 25 years younger than me said he found me attractive, sexy, beautiful etc, you betcha I’d be flattered. But if he said he wanted to marry me, without even spending time with me in person, I’d be very suspicious. I work with people 20 years younger than me, a smaller age gap than is being discussed here, and I have nothing in common with them. 

It’s a textbook Green card marriage.  But the USC in these cases is always in love and is sure this time it’s different.  OP should save her time and money.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.