Dutch88

Vegas trip planned but my greencard is expired, in ROC process

35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
2 hours ago, Dutch88 said:

I never saw the point of getting a state issued ID when i have a greencard.

We already did a road trip to vegas last year. We only have a few days this time so we have to fly.

I do have an extension letter. Is that enough?

Not a good idea to be carrying around your Green Card. You loose that and it is $800+ AND a year wait for a replacement. Get a State ID

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
25 minutes ago, NikLR said:

No but by law LPR are required to keep proof of their status on their person. 

A photocopy is all you require.

I am past the Citizenship Oath. I have no Immigration record with me as you have to give the Original to Passport Issuing Authorities

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-29/0-0-0-8289.html

(e) Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d). Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both. 

43 minutes ago, NYCruiser said:

I am past the Citizenship Oath. I have no Immigration record with me as you have to give the Original to Passport Issuing Authorities

This isn't your thread so what you have or don't have is irrelevant to the OP

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

49 minutes ago, Timona said:

I’d just get a State ID to avoid all this Passport/ expired GC issue. How long does it take to get one? A week. And all you need to show is your ID

See my lastest post on this thread.   I'm not the OP and the OP can fly on an unexpired passport.  However they are still required to carry proof of their legal status. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

47 minutes ago, NYCruiser said:

Not a good idea to be carrying around your Green Card. You loose that and it is $800+ AND a year wait for a replacement. Get a State ID

It's $455 to replace.... not $800 plus... 

https://my.uscis.gov/exploremyoptions/renew_green_card

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
52 minutes ago, NikLR said:

See my lastest post on this thread.   I'm not the OP and the OP can fly on an unexpired passport.  However they are still required to carry proof of their legal status. 

I knew you were not the OP. I was just making life simple. Hahaha. Cheers!!

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
7 hours ago, Dutch88 said:

My wife and i want to go to Las Vegas next month. I have an expired greencard with the 'I751 18 month extension letter' and a valid Dutch passport. Im in the process of removing the conditions on my greencard.

Which one do i need to fly from Oregon to Nevada? Do i show them my passport or greencard? Or doesnt it matter which one i use?

Thank you.

You will only need your Dutch passport. I was flying inside the US. They do not check any legal docs or any US issued docs. So use your passport if you are not leaving the US.

4 hours ago, NYCruiser said:

"If you are a permanent resident age 18 or older, you are required to have a valid Green Card in your possession at all times."

Copied directly from USCIS.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Daisy.Chain said:

"If you are a permanent resident age 18 or older, you are required to have a valid Green Card in your possession at all times."

Copied directly from USCIS.

It ain't smart to keep the green card with you because 99.99999% of the time, it's a risk.  Keep a copy and keep the real thing at home.

This summer, my husband and I flew from NY to Alaska. He used his home country's passport for proof. Also, he got a state ID a few months ago because he does not drive either. He went to the DMV and had it in an hour. It was super simple and cheap. 

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Thanks. Ill bring both with me and look into getting a state ID when im back in Washington. Or can i do it online?

09/21/2015: I-129F petition mailed

09/23/2015: Delivered to USCIS, petition received

09/25/2015: NOA1 notice date, routed to CSC

09/28/2015: NOA1 E-notification

10/27/2015: RFE E-notification

11/02/2015: RFE letter received (USCIS needs evidence that the site we met on is not an international marriage broker)

11/03/2015: RFE response mailed with overnight priority mail express to CSC

11/04/2015: RFE received by USCIS

11/09/2015: Approved!!! E-notification NOA2

11/19/2015: NVC received

11/27/2015: Case arrived at consulate

12/01/2015: Packet 3 received

01/16/2016: Packet 4 received

02/16/2016: Medical exam

02/23/2016: Approved!!!

04/26/2016: Entered USA

07/23/2016: Adjusting status, NOA1

12/16/2016: Interview, Approved!!!

02/02/2017: Green card in mail!

41 minutes ago, Dutch88 said:

Thanks. Ill bring both with me and look into getting a state ID when im back in Washington. Or can i do it online?

You’ll have to do it in person. Have fun on Vegas!  Happy New Year!  

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Israel
Timeline

You don't need the greencard(expired) to travel. The TSA's website states the following:

Adult passengers 18 and over must show valid identification at the airport checkpoint in order to travel.

• Driver's licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. Department of Defense ID, including IDs issued to dependents
  • Permanent resident card
  • Border crossing card
  • DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
  • Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
  • HSPD-12 PIV card
  • Foreign government-issued passport
  • Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
  • Transportation worker identification credential
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
  • U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential

any one of these work. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Make sure when you get your ID from the state that it is Real ID compliant ( You usually have to show proof of residence ( Utility bill with your name and address on it/ bank statement, etc.)) If you don't get a real ID card it will do you no good at the airport. Just throwing this in as no one has mentioned it, and I just got my fiancee her Real ID yesterday here in Nevada ( 13.00). And make sure you use uber or lift from the airport, cabs are pricey.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.