KateKate

Funeral/ Expedited Visa

39 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

No.  One interview.  That's it.  The regular interviews were cancelled once they got their expedited interviews.  There is no need to interview them again since their visitor visa applications have been denied.  

P.S.  This is a new account created in the last hour and asking for a friend.  Now, it's "we were requested."  Confusing.  

Sorry for confusing you. I am helping my friend, and we were both on the phone talking to the embassy about how this whole process works and what stages should be taken. So the "we were requested" is an automatic saying that me and my friend were instructed to do so.

3 minutes ago, KateKate said:

When would you recommend us to start working for another try? We need her parents support here, so we thought that if there would be any ways that we can restart again anytime soon.

Simply by the words you are using it seems like the parents are more of a risk than not. Statements like "we need them here for support" is a sure fire way to get denied.

Also, if nothing has changed in their situation then the outcome will likely be the same. 

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

13 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

Don't know why the inlaws did the affidavit of support because it is not leagl binding.

You can't sponsor someone to come to the US on a visitor visa. You can finance the trip but that is not a true sponsorship.

It is unfortunate that they had a bad experience. The general thought is that people are less likely to be a risk if they don't need to rely on orhers to finance their trip to the US.

So be careful when you say things like, "ok so?" when you hear about an officer asking why they need someone else to finance their trip. The officer is doing his/her job to find out if they applicants are a risk.

One of the biggest mistakes we see people make with tourist visas is getting someone in the US to provide an affidavit of support. It is a red flag because it a relative is willing to show they can support them on a trip, then what is stopping them from staying and living in the US with the help of that relative. 

Sorry, the "ok so" was a remark because we were so upset. That was not addressed at the consul. To these questions the parents just answered that the in-laws are just trying to help to get them before the funeral ceremony, because they also love them and that they want them to be present at the funeral. We did the affidavit of fear of denial, parents were denied a regular visitor visa about 1 year ago, and we thought it was because of the financial situations.

It is sad to find this out just now ( about affidavit), the parents were not planning to stay here too long, just about 1 month as they have their business in Ukraine. We read so much about on the internet and we thought it would be an appropriate move :(

5 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

Simply by the words you are using it seems like the parents are more of a risk than not. Statements like "we need them here for support" is a sure fire way to get denied.

Also, if nothing has changed in their situation then the outcome will likely be the same. 

We need them for this small part of grief period. Her in laws are being great support, but mom and dad also worry and want to make sure she will be fine. They were only planning to stay here for about 1 month, as this whole thing was an unexpected thing and they their little business in Ukraine and cant afford to be too long away from it.

7 minutes ago, KateKate said:

Sorry, the "ok so" was a remark because we were so upset. That was not addressed at the consul. To these questions the parents just answered that the in-laws are just trying to help to get them before the funeral ceremony, because they also love them and that they want them to be present at the funeral. We did the affidavit of fear of denial, parents were denied a regular visitor visa about 1 year ago, and we thought it was because of the financial situations.

It is sad to find this out just now ( about affidavit), the parents were not planning to stay here too long, just about 1 month as they have their business in Ukraine. We read so much about on the internet and we thought it would be an appropriate move :(

Understood.

Unfortunately, this isn't the first time we have heard stories like this. A few years ago a woman came on here looking for help because she was denied a visitor visa to come to see her dying mother who was on her deathbed here in the US. 

It is always sad to hear of people being in these type situations but the problem stems from way too many visitor visa holder abusing the visa (for example, using the visitor visa to come here to work a few months out of the year).

The parents are free to apply again. Hopefully, it all works out.

Now that you know how the process works and the mindframe of the officer, you can be better prepared for next time.

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
8 hours ago, KateKate said:

Hi all,

I was wondering if you could help me with a question. My friend recently became a widow. She is a citizen of Ukraine living in United States. Her recently deceased husband was an American Citizen. they have been married for three years. She was trying to get an expedited visa for her parents to come to be able to attend the funeral ceremony. Two years ago they got denied a visa, so this time we received again the denial. My question is about the consul interviewing them though. Her in-laws offered to help financially, so they built and Affidavit of Support I - 134. The consul asked very rude questions, he saw the affidavit of support and asked how come his parents are so rich???! Why do they have to pay for them and for the funeral?? And that he is an American and he knows that money are valued much here??....ok so #######??? first the wife gets compensation and help from the government to pay for the funeral. Second who is he to even ask these questions about why her in-laws should pay for them. The parents (in-laws) decided they want to help, and they have the means. Her parents are house owners in Ukraine, they own a small family business, her sister is a student at the law faculty. The family is very great looking from the social point of view (exemplary family). So my question is: Did someone ever encounter such a situation? And what did you do with this?

The Consular Officer can ask ANY question. That is not something that we have control over. They have to apply on their own merits unfortunately to visit here. Does not seem that they made the cut. Sorry about your loss.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 hour ago, NYCruiser said:

The Consular Officer can ask ANY question. That is not something that we have control over. They have to apply on their own merits unfortunately to visit here. Does not seem that they made the cut. Sorry about your loss.

Pretty sure the OP was not at the interview so any discussion on the fine details of what was said, what was not said is pretty pointless.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Pretty sure the OP was not at the interview so any discussion on the fine details of what was said, what was not said is pretty pointless.

I  was going my what was said in the OP's initial message. My point as you know still stands

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Not personal experience, but have read many similar situations here on VJ.  The advice OP/friend has received here is spot on.  Also, Ukraine tends to be a high-fraud country, so closer scrutiny than most is expected because of visa violations of others, lots of overstays, disregard for US laws.  This, unfortunately, means it is difficult for legitimate applicants.  Repeated denials will most likely continue unless something significant about the parents' application changes.  Owning a business is not a strong tie because someone else can run it for the owner.  One red flag.  And do not apply for a one month stay next time.  A job you can leave for a month is not evidence of a close tie.  Second red flag.  Also, the daughter in the US could be a third red flag for immigration intent, likely to overstay a visa to live with daughter, possibly grandkids.  Sorry, but your friend is paying for the sins of others.

On 12/27/2018 at 12:49 PM, CEE53147 said:

Red flag!

how is this red flag though? we don't say we need them here forever. She goes through grief and I think it is human to hope for support from the closest people. They cant stay here for too long cause they have their family business there. The words expressed by me were not even addressed to the consul, i just said them here, but i just think it is so stupid to think that this would be a red flag. How is needing some support from your parents in such a hard time a "red flag" ?????!

13 hours ago, carmel34 said:

Not personal experience, but have read many similar situations here on VJ.  The advice OP/friend has received here is spot on.  Also, Ukraine tends to be a high-fraud country, so closer scrutiny than most is expected because of visa violations of others, lots of overstays, disregard for US laws.  This, unfortunately, means it is difficult for legitimate applicants.  Repeated denials will most likely continue unless something significant about the parents' application changes.  Owning a business is not a strong tie because someone else can run it for the owner.  One red flag.  And do not apply for a one month stay next time.  A job you can leave for a month is not evidence of a close tie.  Second red flag.  Also, the daughter in the US could be a third red flag for immigration intent, likely to overstay a visa to live with daughter, possibly grandkids.  Sorry, but your friend is paying for the sins of others.

Yes, Unfortunately we know that this process will be a little more ruthless and harder to go through in regards to Ukraine. Especially with their war zones. We have already kind of made peace with the fact that we will have to just give it a wait right now. So we will just put this whole visa on a side for right now. Thank you

On 12/27/2018 at 9:23 AM, aaron2020 said:

If nothing has changed, then your parents are not going to get visitor visas.  

We again.  Are you really asking for a friend or asking for yourself?

Not true. You’re flat out wrong. I have several instances of people applying for a visa and getting rejected and reapplying two weeks later and for the visa. Does it happen a lot? No, but it happens quite a bit.

Also whether the original poster is asking for themselves or someone else is exactly none of your business. It doesn’t change the answer.

On 12/27/2018 at 9:24 AM, aaron2020 said:

If she needs her parents support, then she can go to visit them.  

Some people on this forum are just so negative and unsympathetic it’s unbelievable, geez.

Citizen of the World!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
39 minutes ago, PaulTheSheik said:

Not true. You’re flat out wrong. I have several instances of people applying for a visa and getting rejected and reapplying two weeks later and for the visa. Does it happen a lot? No, but it happens quite a bit.

If circumstances haven't changed and there are recent denials, the outcome should be obvious........

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.