refugee

Taliban greets Pentagon's withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan with cries of victory

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Randyandyuni said:

You felt the need to be offensive in your response, I could care less what you expect 

Well it couldn't care less, not could care less. 

Oct 19, 2010 I-130 application submitted to US Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Oct 22, 2010 I-130 application approved

Oct 22, 2010 packet 3 received via email

Nov 15, 2010 DS-230 part 1 faxed to US Embassy Seoul

Nov 15, 2010 Appointment for visa interview made on-line

Nov 16, 2010 Confirmation of appointment received via email

Dec 13, 2010 Interview date

Dec 15, 2010 CR-1 received via courier

Mar 29, 2011 POE Detroit Michigan

Feb 15, 2012 Change of address via telephone

Jan 10, 2013 I-751 packet mailed to Vermont Service CenterJan 15, 2013 NOA1

Jan 31, 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received

Feb 20, 2013 Biometric appointment date

June 14, 2013 RFE

June 24, 2013 Responded to RFE

July 24, 2013 Removal of conditions approved

1 minute ago, Póg mo said:

Well it couldn't care less, not could care less. 

That's it a grammar correction? You are laughable

Timeline
1 minute ago, Randyandyuni said:

And your contributions to the world are what? Surly comments and apathy?

Well, whatever I have contributed, it sure didn't include helping to fight for corporate profits.

June 14, 2013 RFE

Timeline
1 minute ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

Didnt ask to be sent their  but he went where Obama sent him. You should be ashamed 

Don't recall mandatory enlistment. 

June 14, 2013 RFE

1 minute ago, Póg mo said:

Well, whatever I have contributed, it sure didn't include helping to fight for corporate profits.

I doubt you've contributed to anything that was not self serving, so I am not surprised

Timeline

OMG, they actually expect someone to follow orders after voluntarily signing up for service. Who knew that might happen? 

June 14, 2013 RFE

1 hour ago, Póg mo said:

If you voted for Obama you did. I agreed with you earlier saying we need to leave Afghanistan. However I couldn't disagree more with your views on people who served in Afghanistan. I have family and friends who have served and still serve. Every single one of them signed up because they believed in defending this country and were willing to put their life on the line to defend what they believed in. That alone makes them heroes to me regardless of how some politicians have taken advantage of it. I have been strongly opposed to the war in Afghanistan from the very beginning and have never changed that view regardless of what party is in control. I have also held the view from the beginning that anyone willing to put on the uniform and put their life on the line is a hero to me. When have you ever put your life on the line for something you believe in?

This is the Vietnam mentality all over again. Spit on all veterans in the airport and call them baby killers. Have people like you ever realized that some of these people signed up for one thing and found themselves in a tough situation where they were just trying to keep their head down and do their job so they could survive to make it back to their families in one piece? This was especially the case in Vietnam with many of them being draftees. Then they have to deal with armchair soldiers like you insulting and demeaning them when they make it home. Quite frankly it disgusts me. We are both generally speaking anti war but that is where the similarities end. I am anti war because I care about the troops who put their lives on the line. You seem to be anti war for some twisted political reason.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

19 minutes ago, jg121783 said:

If you voted for Obama you did. I agreed with you earlier saying we need to leave Afghanistan. However I couldn't disagree more with your views on people who served in Afghanistan. I have family and friends who have served and still serve. Every single one of them signed up because they believed in defending this country and were willing to put their life on the line to defend what they believed in. That alone makes them heroes to me regardless of how some politicians have taken advantage of it. I have been strongly opposed to the war in Afghanistan from the very beginning and have never changed that view regardless of what party is in control. I have also held the view from the beginning that anyone willing to put on the uniform and put their life on the line is a hero to me. When have you ever put your life on the line for something you believe in?

This is the Vietnam mentality all over again. Spit on all veterans in the airport and call them baby killers. Have people like you ever realized that some of these people signed up for one thing and found themselves in a tough situation where they were just trying to keep their head down and do their job so they could survive to make it back to their families in one piece? This was especially the case in Vietnam with many of them being draftees. Then they have to deal with armchair soldiers like you insulting and demeaning them when they make it home. Quite frankly it disgusts me. We are both generally speaking anti war but that is where the similarities end. I am anti war because I care about the troops who put their lives on the line. You seem to be anti war for some twisted political reason.

Luckily I have never witnessed a person disparage a vet like this in person or likely I would be in jail..

Filed: Timeline
39 minutes ago, jg121783 said:

True words than yours have never been said.  However, consider the audience and realize you are wasting your thoughtful, kind words.  Some people will simply NEVER understand. 

I remember hearing how our veterans were treated after 'Nam, and it disgusted me.  I remember one of those vets... when we had a soldier in the reserves return from the desert, we hung a banner in out shop, welcoming him home, thankful he made it back safely.  The crusty old vet left the building, obviously angry.  I followed him and asked him what was wrong.  He told me how he was spit on, had things thrown at him, and was called a baby killer when he returned from Vietnam, and it made him (jealous/angry/upset) over the hero's welcome our reservist got.  I will never forget the bitterness that old man showed.  I didn't like it, but I understood why.  And it nearly broke my heart for him. The war broke him, and his countrymen broke him even further.  Makes me tear up just telling the story, thinking about how he reacted that day.

You're correct, Pog Mo.. I'm no hero. Very few who go into combat ever are.  We are just humans, doing our jobs that we are paid to do.  But no, I never bombed anything into oblivion.  Never shot anyone.  What my unit DID do, however, was to Medevac 3,124 people in 12 months time, carrying wounded soldiers and Afghani citizens to hospitals where they were given the best medical care available, free of charge.  All the while getting shot at by the enemy with AK47s, RPGs, and the occasional IED thrown in for good measure.

Wanna know what the worst (to me, anyway) patients I had to carry?  The Afghani toddlers that had been dipped in vats of boiling water by their parents as punishment for crying or making noise.  And not just one or two, but several times over the course of a year.  

I am no hero.  But I AM lucky to have escaped with all my parts intact, as well as my sanity.  I am FAR better off than the thousands of patients we tried to save, many of which went home missing multiple limbs, or eyesight, or had TBIs.  Blessed, I think, is a much better descriptor than hero.

4 minutes ago, Satisfied said:

True words than yours have never been said.  However, consider the audience and realize you are wasting your thoughtful, kind words.  Some people will simply NEVER understand. 

I remember hearing how our veterans were treated after 'Nam, and it disgusted me.  I remember one of those vets... when we had a soldier in the reserves return from the desert, we hung a banner in out shop, welcoming him home, thankful he made it back safely.  The crusty old vet left the building, obviously angry.  I followed him and asked him what was wrong.  He told me how he was spit on, had things thrown at him, and was called a baby killer when he returned from Vietnam, and it made him (jealous/angry/upset) over the hero's welcome our reservist got.  I will never forget the bitterness that old man showed.  I didn't like it, but I understood why.  And it nearly broke my heart for him. The war broke him, and his countrymen broke him even further.  Makes me tear up just telling the story, thinking about how he reacted that day.

You're correct, Pog Mo.. I'm no hero. Very few who go into combat ever are.  We are just humans, doing our jobs that we are paid to do.  But no, I never bombed anything into oblivion.  Never shot anyone.  What my unit DID do, however, was to Medevac 3,124 people in 12 months time, carrying wounded soldiers and Afghani citizens to hospitals where they were given the best medical care available, free of charge.  All the while getting shot at by the enemy with AK47s, RPGs, and the occasional IED thrown in for good measure.

Wanna know what the worst (to me, anyway) patients I had to carry?  The Afghani toddlers that had been dipped in vats of boiling water by their parents as punishment for crying or making noise.  And not just one or two, but several times over the course of a year.  

I am no hero.  But I AM lucky to have escaped with all my parts intact, as well as my sanity.  I am FAR better off than the thousands of patients we tried to save, many of which went home missing multiple limbs, or eyesight, or had TBIs.  Blessed, I think, is a much better descriptor than hero.

Brother, most of us do appreciate you, your service and sacrifice, he will never Know the bond not the brotherhood

24 minutes ago, Satisfied said:

You may be humble enough to not think of yourself as a hero but to me the acts you described are the acts of a hero. Putting your life on the line to save others lives is the most heroic thing one can do in my opinion. Thank you for your service.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

1 hour ago, Satisfied said:

Thank you for sharing that , I know how modest you are and I am guessing not many here know as much about you as I do.

I remember during DS/DS  several senior NCOs  telling me about their treatment upoun arriving home from Nam. Made my blood boil and brought tears to me eyes.

I guess in every generation there are going to be a few wasted pieces of skin.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

multiple posts removed for tos violations, quoting those posts, or continuing the drama.

draconian admin action has been applied towards one member.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Timeline
1 hour ago, jg121783 said:

You may be humble enough to not think of yourself as a hero but to me the acts you described are the acts of a hero. Putting your life on the line to save others lives is the most heroic thing one can do in my opinion. Thank you for your service.

I appreciate all the support of my brothers-in-arms, and I am always happy to read about folks who never served who appreciate what those to did have given for them (that is the best part of serving, after all). 

Yes, we know what when down.  And we know the bond that only 1% of us share, even if we did not serve together.  But to me, I simply did my job.  The ones we packaged up and sent back to the US in body bags, or missing body parts... THOSE are the true heroes. Like Brian Kolfage.  Like I said, I was truly blessed.  I have watched friends who came back with all their visible parts intact, only to suffer the mental anguish that only they could ever truly know.  

At any rate, it’s Christmas, and a happy time for all to reflect on the good of the past year, as well as the promise of the future.  As was said earlier, say a prayer for those still serving across the oceans, who cannot be with their families at this time.  And to Pog Mo... we may not agree on very many topics, but as to your attitude towards those who have served, I forgive you.  You may one day realize what they did for you, maybe not.  But I don’t hold your lack of understanding against you. Peace to all.