Sunniman

Arranged marriage

19 posts in this topic

Hello. I am currently going to have an arranged marriage from Pakistan. The only problem is that I can not travel outside of the United States since I am currently on probation, but I would like to bring her to the United States until I am off of probation, and to move to Pakistan together. So I don't have to worry about applying for a greencard for her, etc. Is there any visa available for this? Since I will not be able to travel to Pakistan to physical meet her, and the only way possible to meet her is if she was to come to the United States. I know that does not meet the requirements for the K1 visa is there an wavier to this or is there anyway to get around that requirement? Or would there be any way to get a spousal visa without having to physically go to Pakistan to get married first?

I also am not from Pakistan, and I have no family from Pakistan.

Thank you for whoever here who can help answer my questions.

Edited by Sunniman

There is no way to get around a meeting requirement for k1 or cr1 visa. She can try to apply for tourist visa or you just have to wait. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

1 minute ago, Roel said:

There is no way to get around a meeting requirement for k1 or cr1 visa. She can try to apply for tourist visa or you just have to wait. 

I thought it was fraud if someone was to get a tourist visa with the intention to marry as soon as they came to the United States? Or is there a way around this?

Well if she can’t wait until you have clear legal situation and can travel maybe you need to find someone else. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

47 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Also, be sure your criminal history 1) isn't an issue for petitioning somebody,

He ultimately wants to leave for Pakistan.  Hopefully he is admitable there after his probation is done in the US.

There is little possibility of the intended spouse getting a tourist visa here.

OP sorry it doesn't look there are any options.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Consider this as part of your punishment, as it were. Just because you want something now, doesn’t mean you can have it. You will likely have to wait until probation is over before you can meet unless she can get a visa to come here to visit (and that’s unlikely). There is no visa for potential spouses to “come and try things out for a while”. Many people are unable to visit their loved ones in the USA because tourist visas are very hard to obtain for certain demographic groups. They all survive. No one had yet died due to being apart. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Alright thank you everyone for your answers. They have been helpful. It seems like I will be better off petitioning  with the court to travel back, and forth continuously and breaking up my time like that until I am off of probation then trying to bring her to the United States. Since it seems like first getting her here on a tourist visa, then bringing her back on a CR1 or K1 will all together take close to a year or more. Plus there is no guarantee that she will be accepted for a tourist visa anyways if we where to apply for it. It seems like trying to bring her here would be a waste of time.

Edited by Sunniman

1 hour ago, Sunniman said:

It seems like trying to bring her here would be a waste of time

Tourist is probably a waste of time and money. 

If you only have 1 to 2 years left on probation you can probably get to Pakistan first.   You may want to firm up that you can get a visa with your record. 

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: Timeline

Two things ---

First, if you are not Pakistani and have no relatives there, how is the marriage being arranged?  You don't need to tell us here if you don't want to, but you need to be aware that it might be a factor in some of your plans. Using an international marriage broker, for example, adds a new layer of issues to deal with.

Second, do you already have a US passport?  If so, you may want to check that it is still valid for travel; if not, you need to find out if you are eligible to receive one.  Some convictions and/or probations put restrictions on being issued a passport or restricting the use of an exsiting one.

9 hours ago, Sunniman said:

Hello. I am currently going to have an arranged marriage from Pakistan. The only problem is that I can not travel outside of the United States since I am currently on probation, but I would like to bring her to the United States until I am off of probation, and to move to Pakistan together. So I don't have to worry about applying for a greencard for her, etc. Is there any visa available for this? Since I will not be able to travel to Pakistan to physical meet her, and the only way possible to meet her is if she was to come to the United States. I know that does not meet the requirements for the K1 visa is there an wavier to this or is there anyway to get around that requirement? Or would there be any way to get a spousal visa without having to physically go to Pakistan to get married first?

4 hours ago, Sunniman said:

Alright thank you everyone for your answers. They have been helpful. It seems like I will be better off petitioning  with the court to travel back, and forth continuously and breaking up my time like that until I am off of probation then trying to bring her to the United States. Since it seems like first getting her here on a tourist visa, then bringing her back on a CR1 or K1 will all together take close to a year or more. Plus there is no guarantee that she will be accepted for a tourist visa anyways if we where to apply for it. It seems like trying to bring her here would be a waste of time.

If you're not petitioning her for a green card, there is no CR1.

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

7 hours ago, Sunniman said:

There’s no point in k1 or cr1 if she does not plan to settle in the US. If it’s  just to get married here and leave again a tourist visa is perfectly sufficient. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Well if you can't leave for another 1-2 years, sounds like you're bringing her to stay with you for that long? That's not tourist visa stay lenght.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.