Sonata Arctica

DOCUMENT CHECKLIST FOR IR-1/CR-1 MONTREAL INTERVIEW

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Probably a noob question, or maybe not....should I strictly follow the document list provided on the US State dept website?

This is what it says:

Pre-Interview Checklist

Please use the list below to determine the items that every applicant must bring to the immigrant visa interview.  Any documents that are not in English must be accompanied by a certified English translation:

If you do not bring all of the original documents that are required for each visa applicant, we cannot issue a visa.

• A copy of your NVC interview letter (does not apply to Diversity Visa, fiancé(e), adoptive, or asylee/refugee applicants).

• Unexpired passport valid for six (6) months beyond your intended date of entry to the United States and a photocopy of the biographic page (where your name and photo are located).

• Two (2) recently taken photos of each person applying for a visa (5 cm x 5 cm). Please see our online photo requirements.

• Medical examination results in a sealed envelope from an approved physician (see Step 2).
  • Your original birth certificate and that of your petitioner if applicable, English translation, and a photocopy.
  • Original or certified copies of birth certificates for all children of the principal applicant (even if he or she is not accompanying).

If you are married:   Your original marriage certificate, English translation, and a photocopy for each applicant. 

If you were previously married or your petitioner was:  All original final divorce or spouse's death certificate(s), English translation, and a photocopy.

If your name has changed:  The original court name change document and a photocopy.

If you are adopted:  Adoption papers or custody documents, English translation, and a photocopy.

If you are older than 16 years of age:  The original police certificate from your country of current residence, any countries where you lived for more than 12 months, and any country where you have been arrested.  If you previously submitted a police certifciate to NVC, it is more than one (1) year old, and you still live in that country, you must obtain and bring a more recent police certificate to your visa interview as the one you previously submitted will have expired.  You can find information on when police certificates are required and how to get them on our website.

If you have ever been convicted of a crime:  The original court and criminal records, English translation, and a photocopy.

If you have served in any country's military:  Military records, English translation, and a photocopy. 

If you previously submitted to NVC an I-864 affidavit of support (AOS):  Bring proof of your petitioner’s legal status in the United States (photocopy of a U.S. passport, birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or legal permanent resident card) and their federal U.S. tax return (Form 1040) from the previous year.

If you previously submitted to NVC an I-864EZ affidavit of support (AOS):  Bring proof of your petitioner’s legal status in the United States (photocopy of a U.S. passport, birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or legal permanent resident card) and a copy of the petitioner’s Form(s) W-2 from the previous tax year.

If you previously submitted to NVC an I-864 affidavit of support (AOS) completed by a joint sponsor (not the petitioner):  Bring proof of the joint sponsor’s legal status in the United States (photocopy of a U.S. passport, birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or legal permanent resident card) and their federal U.S. tax return (Form 1040) from the previous year. If the joint sponsor’s tax return includes a spouse, then the spouse must complete Form I-864A.

For employment-based visa applications:  A letter from your U.S.-based employer dated less than one month ago.If you are the petitioner’s stepchild:  The original marriage certificate of the petitioner and your biological parent, and a photocopy along with divorce records for any previous marriages of either parent.

I want to be sure I gather and bring everything that could be needed for the interview. Is there anything else that I should take with me?

In addition to the above, I am also, to be safe, bringing the I-864s, and the following to show my wife has established domicile in the US:

1. RBC Bank USA statements with US address

2. Lease agreement signed by us and her mom, as we are renting their property

3. US credit card statements with US address

4. Her resignation letter from the Canadian employer, duly signed by her manager

5. The letters submitted to CBS (Customs & Border Services) in summer of 2018, when her dad took all her personal belongings back to the US - she has practically moved all her stuff back already

6. A statement of intent signed by her

7. A copy of her US driver's license, which she will be getting in the next few weeks (she is moving back a few weeks before the interview)

8. Documentation showing that she has opened a bank account with a local credit union (they do not open the account unless you are a resident and do it in person)

9. Email showing that she has the utility (hydro) bill in her name for where we will be staying

Hope the above is enough.

If anyone else has suggestions or ideas about what else to bring, please let me know.

Thanks.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Sonata Arctica said:

Probably a noob question, or maybe not....should I strictly follow the document list provided on the US State dept website?

This is what it says:

Pre-Interview Checklist

Please use the list below to determine the items that every applicant must bring to the immigrant visa interview.  Any documents that are not in English must be accompanied by a certified English translation:

If you do not bring all of the original documents that are required for each visa applicant, we cannot issue a visa.

• A copy of your NVC interview letter (does not apply to Diversity Visa, fiancé(e), adoptive, or asylee/refugee applicants).

• Unexpired passport valid for six (6) months beyond your intended date of entry to the United States and a photocopy of the biographic page (where your name and photo are located).

• Two (2) recently taken photos of each person applying for a visa (5 cm x 5 cm). Please see our online photo requirements.

• Medical examination results in a sealed envelope from an approved physician (see Step 2).
  • Your original birth certificate and that of your petitioner if applicable, English translation, and a photocopy.
  • Original or certified copies of birth certificates for all children of the principal applicant (even if he or she is not accompanying).

If you are married:   Your original marriage certificate, English translation, and a photocopy for each applicant. 

If you were previously married or your petitioner was:  All original final divorce or spouse's death certificate(s), English translation, and a photocopy.

If your name has changed:  The original court name change document and a photocopy.

If you are adopted:  Adoption papers or custody documents, English translation, and a photocopy.

If you are older than 16 years of age:  The original police certificate from your country of current residence, any countries where you lived for more than 12 months, and any country where you have been arrested.  If you previously submitted a police certifciate to NVC, it is more than one (1) year old, and you still live in that country, you must obtain and bring a more recent police certificate to your visa interview as the one you previously submitted will have expired.  You can find information on when police certificates are required and how to get them on our website.

If you have ever been convicted of a crime:  The original court and criminal records, English translation, and a photocopy.

If you have served in any country's military:  Military records, English translation, and a photocopy. 

If you previously submitted to NVC an I-864 affidavit of support (AOS😞  Bring proof of your petitioner’s legal status in the United States (photocopy of a U.S. passport, birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or legal permanent resident card) and their federal U.S. tax return (Form 1040) from the previous year.

If you previously submitted to NVC an I-864EZ affidavit of support (AOS😞  Bring proof of your petitioner’s legal status in the United States (photocopy of a U.S. passport, birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or legal permanent resident card) and a copy of the petitioner’s Form(s) W-2 from the previous tax year.

If you previously submitted to NVC an I-864 affidavit of support (AOS) completed by a joint sponsor (not the petitioner):  Bring proof of the joint sponsor’s legal status in the United States (photocopy of a U.S. passport, birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or legal permanent resident card) and their federal U.S. tax return (Form 1040) from the previous year. If the joint sponsor’s tax return includes a spouse, then the spouse must complete Form I-864A.

For employment-based visa applications:  A letter from your U.S.-based employer dated less than one month ago.If you are the petitioner’s stepchild:  The original marriage certificate of the petitioner and your biological parent, and a photocopy along with divorce records for any previous marriages of either parent.

I want to be sure I gather and bring everything that could be needed for the interview. Is there anything else that I should take with me?

In addition to the above, I am also, to be safe, bringing the I-864s, and the following to show my wife has established domicile in the US:

1. RBC Bank USA statements with US address

2. Lease agreement signed by us and her mom, as we are renting their property

3. US credit card statements with US address

4. Her resignation letter from the Canadian employer, duly signed by her manager

5. The letters submitted to CBS (Customs & Border Services) in summer of 2018, when her dad took all her personal belongings back to the US - she has practically moved all her stuff back already

6. A statement of intent signed by her

7. A copy of her US driver's license, which she will be getting in the next few weeks (she is moving back a few weeks before the interview)

8. Documentation showing that she has opened a bank account with a local credit union (they do not open the account unless you are a resident and do it in person)

9. Email showing that she has the utility (hydro) bill in her name for where we will be staying

Hope the above is enough.

If anyone else has suggestions or ideas about what else to bring, please let me know.

Thanks.

Looks good to me. Is the document of intent the one that says the USC is re-establishing US domicile by proving the following evidence etc. Etc.? Also, take a copy of the confirmation from AIS on how you will pick up passport. It says to print and take it to interview

Edited by BChance

Timeline

I sent my husband with everything on that list and copies. The old police report and the new one. I also had made a copy of the original package i sent when starting this whole process just in case they asked for ANYTHING at all. I sent proof of my income, the same that I submitted to NVC, but I also provided my 401k statement etc just in case they asked for supplemental information, I did see that someone else went to their interview and was asked for their 401k and they did not have it with them. I also made sure he brought more recent photographs than the ones they already received just in case they asked for proof of ongoing relationship (plane tickets, pictures etc.). My suggestion to you would to bring more than what you need just in case they ask for anything. Better to be safe than sorry 

Timeline

I am taking EXACTLY what they are asking for, plus more. It is the PLUS MORE that I was wondering about, as to whether the list is exhaustive enough or if there is something else that I should also take with me. BTW, who else is going to be there on Jan 18?

16 hours ago, Sonata Arctica said:

I am taking EXACTLY what they are asking for, plus more. It is the PLUS MORE that I was wondering about, as to whether the list is exhaustive enough or if there is something else that I should also take with me. BTW, who else is going to be there on Jan 18?

Should be fine to establish domicile.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.