DmytriiD

B1/B2 Visa for parents of K-1 Visa Holder

67 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Just now, SusieQQQ said:

Most Canadians don’t need visas, so the ones who do have to apply will usually have an issue (criminal record, previous overstay, etc). These same issues are high risk for visa denials.

Ah Ha!!!   That makes perfect sense!!!  Thanks......

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 minute ago, aaron2020 said:

Canadians can travel visa free into the US for 6 months.  Only non-Canadians and people with problems have to apply for a visitor visa in Canada.

1 minute ago, SusieQQQ said:

Most Canadians don’t need visas, so the ones who do have to apply will usually have an issue (criminal record, previous overstay, etc). These same issues are high risk for visa denials.

Ah, I see, thank you, guys. 

3 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Canadians can travel visa free into the US for 6 months.  Only non-Canadians and people with problems have to apply for a visitor visa in Canada.

^ just to clarify the table is by nationality, not issuing post, so does not cover foreign nationals applying in Canada.

Edited by SusieQQQ

1 hour ago, DmytriiD said:

I also was thinking that each officer is trained to see people through...like to read them psychologically if they lie or not.... But now I doubt that....because my parents really don't want to move to the US at all. They don't speak English...they don't want this life here beeing without friends and being not a part of society. Unfortunately, without language you cant live a good life everywhere.  So now I understand that officers are not trained to read people for a lie...because many people who lie..they get visas and move illegally. So...I would like to hear any piece of good advice on how to act or what to change for our second try...because I can not believe my parents are not allowed to even visit me, but some other illegal immigrants get their visas every day worldwide !??!?! I was really thinking that system is smart enough in 2018...but now I am not sure. Now I see that you need to play around, not be honest or open. That's so stupid!!! But anyway I see that the question about if they have other kids...(they dont) showed to the officer that they dont have a reason to come back to Ukraine...but officer didnt even ask about their parents...and they really do take care of their parents. My moms mom she is living alone and she is old, they see her very often, like twice a week they come to her and help her around the house and etc. So it can not be like they don't have why to come back. My mom is PhD, my dad doing business and having pension, they take care of grandma, they have 2 vehicles, 2 houses, 1 flat. Like I really do not understand the officer decision. 

Never ever consider that to be an option. 

B2 visas, whether in Ukraine or Nigeria, or anywhere, are decided on applicants' merit. CO's are trained to see thru lies and dishonesty. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Timeline

Seems like it's a little better, to compere with  2016 -  the refusal rate was 40.83%.

But still higher than it was  before - about 27-29% in 2011-2014

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/refusalratelanguage.pdf

Well,  unfortunately, it takes a moment to ruin everything and then -  forever/years  to correct (if it's even possible) things and be trusted again. If ever

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

You're already married, so they are not going for the wedding, only a "celebration."  Have one celebration in the US, and have another one in the Ukraine.  Then all former friends and family, including grandmother, in both countries, can participate, and everybody's happy.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
58 minutes ago, Ksenia_O said:

Ah, I see, thank you, guys. 

Actually, I am surprised it is not higher for Canadians considering as others have said, Canadians that need to apply for a visitor visa usually have something in their history.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
42 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

You're already married, so they are not going for the wedding, only a "celebration."  Have one celebration in the US, and have another one in the Ukraine.  Then all former friends and family, including grandmother, in both countries, can participate, and everybody's happy.

it' is important to have all family members at ONE celebrations.  To have them all meet each other, spend time together and celebrate together. If it's not possible - then it's really upsetting. And I can see why the OP is so frustrated with visa denials. I personally wouldn't want to have 2 celebrations... 

It also means his parents won't be able to come and just to visit him, to see how he settled down here in the US and etc..   When my parents came to visit us and spend vocation together - it meant the world to me... As well as for my husband's family.

And yes, it is Ukraine, not the Ukraine. 

Edited by Ksenia_O

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Do you guys think it will hurt if I email Consular Section of the US Embassy in Ukraine asking for reasons of denial and if so then we need to reschedule wedding celebration only for July 2020 because my family can come only in July or August...!?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
14 minutes ago, DmytriiD said:

Do you guys think it will hurt if I email Consular Section of the US Embassy in Ukraine asking for reasons of denial and if so then we need to reschedule wedding celebration only for July 2020 because my family can come only in July or August...!?

It probably wouldn't hurt, but it's not going to help.  The US Embassy already gave their reasons for denial - unable to overcome immigrant intent.  They don't have to explain themselves further than what happened at the interview.  If they reply, you will get a generic response.  

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline
15 minutes ago, DmytriiD said:

It's highly unlikely they will give you any specific reason for denial but it doesn't hurt to ask.  Any reason why you don't want to have a separate a celebration in Ukraine for your side of the family?  

Timeline
5 minutes ago, DmytriiD said:

I don't think it will hurt. .. But I'm just not sure the Embassy will provide you with more  detailed explanation. If they even provide you with any.  Almost positive you'll have the same answer to parents' visa denial as they have already gotten - under 214 (b).

P.S. I've just talked to one of my friend. Her mom had B1/B2 denial twice.  Same thing - 214 (b) or whatever. And in this case it was true -  her mom is an older lady, no job , just a retirement income, never traveled anywhere and has nobody left in Ukraine. She has recently gotten her B1/B2 visa approval, from the 3d try. Nothing has changed - still an older lady with only retirement income and all by herself in Ukraine.  

As I've said before - just keep trying...

Timeline
2 minutes ago, gregcrs2 said:

It's highly unlikely they will give you any specific reason for denial but it doesn't hurt to ask.  Any reason why you don't want to have a separate a celebration in Ukraine for your side of the family?  

I mean I think the standard celebration is when all people are together...but yeah I do not take my grandmas, or any other family members, etc. Only parents. And yeah I want them to come visit each summer, why not? 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Ksenia_O said:

I don't think it will hurt. .. But I'm just not sure the Embassy will provide you with more  detailed explanation. If they even provide you with any.  Almost positive you'll have the same answer to parents' visa denial as they have already gotten - under 214 (b).

P.S. I've just talked to one of my friend. Her mom had B1/B2 denial twice.  Same thing - 214 (b) or whatever. And in this case it was true -  her mom is an older lady, no job , just a retirement income, never traveled anywhere and has nobody left in Ukraine. She has recently gotten her B1/B2 visa approval, from the 3d try. Nothing has changed - still an older lady with only retirement income and all by herself in Ukraine.  

As I've said before - just keep trying...

wow! In addition to all said above about my parents, they traveled all over Europe during 2018 (like France, Spain, Monaco, Italy, Germany, Poland, Czech Rep, Austria). Just in 1 year...and all that I said above. I really can't believe what happened today after they travelled in snow and cold for 800 km there and back. They also said before them there was an old man who said I dont have any movey, my sister in US paying for everything....and he got approved. So no financial stability and relative in the US...I am confused how then the law works!? Different for everyone...

5 minutes ago, DmytriiD said:

I mean I think the standard celebration is when all people are togethe

My wife came on a K-1 last year. None of her family or friends got approved for a visa to the US for the wedding. It's par for the course with a K-1 in most cases.

We still had a wonderful wedding/celebration, and her family and friends love us just the same.

You take what you can get. Sometimes you don't get everything you want and you make the most of what you can.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.