DmytriiD

B1/B2 Visa for parents of K-1 Visa Holder

67 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi Community,

I am currently AOSing from K-1 after marriage, EAD and AP already approved. 

Me and my wife planning a wedding celebration for July 2019 because this is the only month when my parents are on holiday and can come here.

They applied for b1/b2 visa for them to come here and was denied.

We provided them with an invitation to the wedding, and a letter explaining where they will stay, etc. They showed it to the officer.

They also showed our marriage certificate. They offered to show bank statements which shows they have enough money for the trip after the question who is paying for the trip. But the officer didn't want to see a bank statement...Also, they answered if they met with my wife...yes they met twice, she was coming over to Europe and to Ukraine. My parents also said they even met her mom, because she also came to Europe once.

They were asked where do they work...my mom is PhD at the University for 22 years or even 25 years... my dad is retired police officer, currently doing business as transporting furniture by his own truck. Also they were asked if they have more kids...they said no...we have only one kid (which is me, and I am in the US). After all these questions...the officer said, the reason is not enough for you to travel to the US. We don't understand now what can be more important reason then a wedding of the only child? Like ####### !?!?!? 

I also was thinking that each officer is trained to see people through...like to read them psychologically if they lie or not.... But now I doubt that....because my parents really don't want to move to the US at all. They don't speak English...they don't want this life here beeing without friends and being not a part of society. Unfortunately, without language you cant live a good life everywhere.  So now I understand that officers are not trained to read people for a lie...because many people who lie..they get visas and move illegally. So...I would like to hear any piece of good advice on how to act or what to change for our second try...because I can not believe my parents are not allowed to even visit me, but some other illegal immigrants get their visas every day worldwide !??!?! I was really thinking that system is smart enough in 2018...but now I am not sure. Now I see that you need to play around, not be honest or open. That's so stupid!!! But anyway I see that the question about if they have other kids...(they dont) showed to the officer that they dont have a reason to come back to Ukraine...but officer didnt even ask about their parents...and they really do take care of their parents. My moms mom she is living alone and she is old, they see her very often, like twice a week they come to her and help her around the house and etc. So it can not be like they don't have why to come back. My mom is PhD, my dad doing business and having pension, they take care of grandma, they have 2 vehicles, 2 houses, 1 flat. Like I really do not understand the officer decision. 

Edited by DmytriiD

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I totally understand what you wrote and your sentiments.  Getting a tourist visa is extremely difficult.  Being honest is the way to go every time you deal with the embassy.

The letter of invitation means nothing.  We tried with my wife's brother and sister-in-law.  They have everything like your parents and more...they even have 2 children which would not be traveling with them.  Denied!

Both have good jobs....now 3 apartments...car...bank account....no visa!

So, all you can do is wait and possibly try again, or just have one go and the other stay home.  I hate to say it, but this is a very harsh reality.  

It is frustrating seeing people get the visa and then abuse it.  It ruins it for the ones who are truly trying to just visit.

The only suggestion is can make is if trying again, like we will be trying, is to write in the DS-160 why you think you were denied and be very detailed about not proving to the officer your intention to return.  Be brutally honest, is the way we think we need to be.  All you can do is roll the dice and hope it hits 7!

Timeline
10 minutes ago, geowrian said:

I think there was a misunderstanding. I've never seen somebody refused for not having a reason to travel to the US. They were almost certainly refused under 214(b) instead (immigrant intent / not enough ties to return home).

What exactly under 214(b) do you think was not good enough? No immediate relatives (other kids) in Ukraine and immediate relative (me) in the US? Does applicant's mom considered as immediate relative?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
48 minutes ago, DmytriiD said:

Hi Community,

Me and my wife planning a wedding celebration for July 2019 because this is the only month when my parents are on holiday and can come here.

We provided them with an invitation to the wedding, and a letter explaining where they will stay, etc. They showed it to the officer.

They also showed our marriage certificate. They offered to show bank statements which shows they have enough money for the trip after the question who is paying for the trip. But the officer didn't want to see a bank statement...Also, they answered if they met with my wife...yes they met twice, she was coming over to Europe and to Ukraine. My parents also said they even met her mom, because she also came to Europe once.

They were asked where do they work...my mom is PhD at the University for 22 years or even 25 years... my dad is retired police officer, currently doing business as transporting furniture by his own truck. Also they were asked if they have more kids...they said no...we have only one kid (which is me, and I am in the US). After all these questions...the officer said, the reason is not enough for you to travel to the US. We don't understand now what can be more important reason then a wedding of the only child? Like ####### !?!?!? 

I also was thinking that each officer is trained to see people through...like to read them psychologically if they lie or not.... But now I doubt that....because my parents really don't want to move to the US at all. They don't speak English...they don't want this life here beeing without friends and being not a part of society. Unfortunately, without language you cant live a good life everywhere.  So now I understand that officers are not trained to read people for a lie...because many people who lie..they get visas and move illegally. So...I would like to hear any piece of good advice on how to act or what to change for our second try...because I can not believe my parents are not allowed to even visit me, but some other illegal immigrants get their visas every day worldwide !??!?! I was really thinking that system is smart enough in 2018...but now I am not sure. Now I see that you need to play around, not be honest or open. That's so stupid!!! But anyway I see that the question about if they have other kids...(they dont) showed to the officer that they dont have a reason to come back to Ukraine...but officer didnt even ask about their parents...and they really do take care of their parents. My moms mom she is living alone and she is old, they see her very often, like twice a week they come to her and help her around the house and etc. So it can not be like they don't have why to come back. My mom is PhD, my dad doing business and having pension, they take care of grandma, they have 2 vehicles, 2 houses, 1 flat. Like I really do not understand the officer decision. 

Honestly, I don't know what they can do..it sounds like a good application.....Of course, I wouldn't lie to the consulate officers.  I would just try again in a few months.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

7 minutes ago, DmytriiD said:

What exactly under 214(b) do you think was not good enough? No immediate relatives (other kids) in Ukraine and immediate relative (me) in the US? Does applicant's mom considered as immediate relative?

Immigrant intent itself. I don't know what specifically the CO wanted to see as ties to return home, or saw as too strong of a tie to the US. If they said exactly what they wanted to see instead, this would be a wide open door for fraud.

A US-based relative is a negative factor.

One's mother is an immediate relative.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
1 minute ago, missileman said:

Honestly, I don't know what they can do..it sounds like a good application.....Of course, I wouldn't lie to the consulate officers.  I would just try again in a few months.

Probably it is just because of other people who stay illegally. I read that currently Ukraine is one of the top countries in the world who does visa fraud or illegal immigration to the US....like Nigeria and Ukraine are the top 2 countries. Maybe this is why...But this is crazy... Also I googled the rate of denials in ukraine - it is 42% out of all visa applications.

Timeline

Sorry to hear about this.  Visa refusal has happened to many people I know.  One of the biggest problems is that too many people abused the system and either overstayed or never went back to Ukraine.  So now honest people with no intention to immigrate are paying for the sins of what others have done in the past.   Unfortunately, now that their visa is denied, it will be even more difficult to get a visa.  In the view of the consular officer, you are already married so the event is now a party and not really a wedding.  Since your Dad is self employed, that works against him.  If they are both in pension age, that works against them.  Having no other children that need to be taken care of works against them.  Having their only child in the US works against them.   Interviewer is probably thinking you can always have a post wedding celebration in Ukraine.  I know it sucks but it is what it is.

Timeline
1 hour ago, DmytriiD said:

Hi Community,

I'm so sorry to hear about a visa denial for your parents...

I don't know what else to say, besides 'thanks" to our fellow countrymen, who abused B1/B2 visa at different point and time... The result of the abuse is what others are facing  these days and unfortunately, people who truly want just to travel  - get denial.

K1/Spouse visa go like breeze, with almost zero denial, but B1/B2 - yes, really hard to get.

I'd say - keep trying. I personally know few people, who got 2-3 denials in a row, and had really hard time during those interviews - a lot of questions and etc. And then, all of the sudden, from the 3d/4th try - success, with just a few questions. 

Your parents' applications look really good to me, as well as ties to Ukraine they provided.  The same what my parents had. And they both got approval at the spot.  

I wasn't' a green card holder at that time - just like you, only EAD. I was in Ukraine, visiting them, at the time they applied for their B1/B2 visas. They also had our invitation, and we stated there the dates they would arrive, dates they would leave, even airports :), the address they would live with our phone numbers  and etc. Most questions they got were about me - how I ended up in the US. 

Don't loose the hope. And I'd say,  if $320.0 doesn't hurt (it will be the only loss if no luck again),  try again, in a month or so. Different day, different CO - who knows..  

Family is very important for Ukrainians and I know it means the world to you to have them both at your wedding.... Fingers crossed they will have their B1/B2 approvals next time. Wish you all the best! 

Edited by Ksenia_O

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Just as a note:  The "B" refusal rate for Ukraine in FY 2017 was about 34.54%.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
37 minutes ago, DmytriiD said:

Probably it is just because of other people who stay illegally. I read that currently Ukraine is one of the top countries in the world who does visa fraud or illegal immigration to the US....like Nigeria and Ukraine are the top 2 countries. Maybe this is why...But this is crazy... Also I googled the rate of denials in ukraine - it is 42% out of all visa applications.

For 2017, per state department, B visa rejection rate was 34.54% for Ukraine.  Still high.  It's not going to make you feel better but there are about 47 other countries with higher rejection rates than Ukraine.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

The families of many K-1 visa holders can not be at their weddings.  It's the cost of the K-1 - family members from the home country will miss the wedding for lack of a visitor visa.  The alternative is to marry in the home country where every family member can attend and go for the spousal visa.

Lots of time, it will take an immigration visa for a family member to come to the US.  

Don't play around and not be honest or open with the US Embassy.  That could close the door to getting a visa in the future.  Don't mess with the folks issuing visas because you may want to petition for your parents when you are a US citizen.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, missileman said:

Just as a note:  The "B" refusal rate for Ukraine in FY 2017 was about 34.54%.

true. 
https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/RefusalRates/FY17.pdf

P.S. I'm surprised  Canada has  41.14%. What's wrong there?.... 

1 minute ago, Ksenia_O said:

true. 
https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/RefusalRates/FY17.pdf

P.S. I'm surprised  Canada has  41.14%. What's wrong there?.... 

Most Canadians don’t need visas, so the ones who do have to apply will usually have an issue (criminal record, previous overstay, etc). These same issues are high risk for visa denials.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.