Meadows2301

K1 issues?

23 posts in this topic

On 12/20/2018 at 9:16 AM, little immigrant said:

What about children if there are any? I thought the K1 had some advantages there

With the K-1 the children can be derivatives.  They are added to the I-129f for no additional filing costs.  There are age restrictions but I believe they must be unmarried and under 21 when filed.  

The CR-1 (I-130) would required the children to have their own petitions and separate fees.  The children must be under 18 when you get married in order to establish the step-parent/ step-child relationship.

All other fees are identical (MRV, Medical).  They will save later since no AOS is required.  They will require ROC though either path.

On 12/20/2018 at 9:16 AM, little immigrant said:

Edited by John & Rose

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
16 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

With the K-1 the children can be derivatives.  They are added to the I-129f for no additional filing costs.  There are age restrictions but I believe they must be unmarried and under 21 when filed.  

The CR-1 (I-130) would required the children to have their own petitions and separate fees.  The children must be under 18 when you get married in order to establish the step-parent/ step-child relationship.

All other fees are identical (MRV, Medical).  They will save later since no AOS is required.  They will require ROC though either path.

Pretty close

K  MRV fee is $265

IR/CR MRV fee is $325

YMMV

4 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Pretty close

K  MRV fee is $265

IR/CR MRV fee is $325

Haven't gotten there yet!  The overall fees for AOS on the K-1 is higher though, correct?

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

20 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Pretty close

K  MRV fee is $265

IR/CR MRV fee is $325

Is this accurate?  I know I was looking for this when we filed the K-1.  The information wasn't that easy to find in one location.

Please comment and correct.  This may be helpful.

K-1 Fees

$535 - USCIS Filing Fee

$265 per person - DS-160 (Visa Application)

$200 to $400 - Medical Fee

$1,225 per person - AOS Fee

$680 per person - ROC Fee

$660 - AP (if filed separate from AOS)

$2,705 plus medical (K-1)

$2,170 plus medical (K-2)

CR-1 Fees

$535 - USCIS Filing Fee

$120 - Affidavit of Support Fee

$325 - DS-260 (Visa Application)

$220 - USCIS Immigrant Fee

$1,200 plus medical (per person)

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
1 hour ago, John & Rose said:

Haven't gotten there yet!  The overall fees for AOS on the K-1 is higher though, correct?

Considering there is no Adjustment of Status for an IR/CR than any fee for that on a K-1 is higher

YMMV

Timeline
1 hour ago, John & Rose said:

Is this accurate?  I know I was looking for this when we filed the K-1.  The information wasn't that easy to find in one location.

Please comment and correct.  This may be helpful.

K-1 Fees

$535 - USCIS Filing Fee

$1,225 per person - AOS Fee

$660 - AP (if filed separate from AOS)

$2,170 plus medical (K-2)

CR-1 Fees

$535 - USCIS Filing Fee

$1,200 plus medical (per person)

You could still have ROC for an immediate family as well, dependent on the age of the marriage upon entry

If the child is under 14 and files with the parent I-485 then the fee is only $750

I don't think the AP fee under K1 is a normal cost because you typically submit the I485 first and then AP/EAD are fee waived

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

48 minutes ago, payxibka said:

You could still have ROC for an immediate family as well, dependent on the age of the marriage upon entry

If the child is under 14 and files with the parent I-485 then the fee is only $750

I don't think the AP fee under K1 is a normal cost because you typically submit the I485 first and then AP/EAD are fee waived

I didn't include the $660 in the $2705 because it is rare.  Most should file together.  I will adjust that statement.

I believe the CR-1 always has ROC but if married more than 2 years when filing (technically IR-1) then there is no fee.  Is that correct?

IMG_5168.jpeg

How does this one look?

K-1 Fees

$535 - USCIS Filing Fee

$1,225 per person - AOS Fee (Includes EAD/AP if filed together)

$750 per child under 14 - AOS Fee

$2,170 plus medical (K-2 over 14 years old)

$1,695 plus medical (K-2 14 years old and younger)

CR-1 Fees

$535 - USCIS Filing Fee

$680 - ROC (if married less than 2 years when filing)

$1,200 plus medical (per person if married more than 2 years when filing)

$1,880 plus medical (per person if married less than 2 years when filing)

IMG_5168.jpeg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.