akfamilyjourney

Patient Summary Care Record for K1

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I have just contacted my local GP Surgery to ask for my medical summary and they said it will cost me around £25 pounds for them to access the medical records even though I am not requesting the full medical history from them.

Would you please advise me on how to deal with them and if it cost you anything to get the summary? What did your medical summary look like? Any input would be helpful.

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
11 minutes ago, theafons said:

I have just contacted my local GP Surgery to ask for my medical summary and they said it will cost me around £25 pounds for them to access the medical records even though I am not requesting the full medical history from them.

Would you please advise me on how to deal with them and if it cost you anything to get the summary? What did your medical summary look like? Any input would be helpful.

Thank you!

This fee is proportional to the time they must take preparing the report 

it will list the medical conditions, medications and treatment they have provided to you  as per their records .. basically a list 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

This fee is proportional to the time they must take preparing the report 

it will list the medical conditions, medications and treatment they have provided to you  as per their records .. basically a list 

£25 for a page of no medical conditions? i am nor requesting medical history.

I paid the same amount for a bunch of medical record papers few years ago. it should not be the same.

Mine was free. But I had to make a Subject access request for my patient summary. I think for a Subject access request the maximum they can charge you is £10.

If I were you I'd bite the bullet, pay the fee, get the document then put in a complaint.

You need the document so they hold all the cards, fighting it now will just take further time and cause you more worry.

Timeline
1 minute ago, thatguyuknow said:

Mine was free. But I had to make a Subject access request for my patient summary. I think for a Subject access request the maximum they can charge you is £10.

If I were you I'd bite the bullet, pay the fee, get the document then put in a complaint.

You need the document so they hold all the cards, fighting it now will just take further time and cause you more worry.

I have a feeling they don't understand what I am asking for and will print me the full medical history I do not need. What is a Subject access request?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

so u are asking them to go into records and seperate them into what u want and what u don't want

more work

if u want these truth is they say pay it and so u have to

you will find out that here in the US every time we ask for drs to fill out anything (like for an insurance claim)   we pay

if u ask at the time of your visit here u can get a rundown and even free CD of xrays 

but after u leave the office there is a fee

Just now, theafons said:

I have a feeling they don't understand what I am asking for and will print me the full medical history I do not need. What is a Subject access request?

I done everything in writing. The exact letter I sent the practice:

FAO ADMIN - SUBJECT ACCESS REQUEST

Please consider this document a request for 1 record:

1. I require a Patient summary/care record (not full medical records) including reports covering any medical conditions, disabilities and prior serious illnesses I have been treated for or anything ongoing. I request this as a SUBJECT ACCESS REQUEST.

Yours faithfully

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
8 minutes ago, theafons said:

£25 for a page of no medical conditions? i am nor requesting medical history.

I paid the same amount for a bunch of medical record papers few years ago. it should not be the same.

Your choice. As a health care professional myself I can assure you it would be considered an appropriate fee for a report as requested 

Timeline
1 minute ago, kris&me said:

so u are asking them to go into records and seperate them into what u want and what u don't want

more work

if u want these truth is they say pay it and so u have to

you will find out that here in the US every time we ask for drs to fill out anything (like for an insurance claim)   we pay

if u ask at the time of your visit here u can get a rundown and even free CD of xrays 

but after u leave the office there is a fee

I am not asking to go into records and separate. May be this is how it is in US, but it is different in UK.

It took me about 4 weeks of repeated phone calls and emails to get my medical history from my GP, and I nearly had to cancel and re-book my medical. I would say that on balance, paying the fee and having your medical history straight away is the better scenario, as Knightsbridge will not sign off your medical without it. As @thatguyuknow said, make sure you have it in hand first, then dispute the fee later. My report says "Patient Care Summary" at the top and looked like a standard template which can be printed by the NHS system.

Just now, Lil bear said:

Your choice. As a health care professional myself I can assure you it would be considered an appropriate fee for a report as requested 

Yup I agree. Pay the fee and have it done with. Complain about it later.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, thatguyuknow said:

I done everything in writing. The exact letter I sent the practice:

FAO ADMIN - SUBJECT ACCESS REQUEST

Please consider this document a request for 1 record:

1. I require a Patient summary/care record (not full medical records) including reports covering any medical conditions, disabilities and prior serious illnesses I have been treated for or anything ongoing. I request this as a SUBJECT ACCESS REQUEST.

Yours faithfully

Thank you!

Timeline
1 minute ago, coltr said:

It took me about 4 weeks of repeated phone calls and emails to get my medical history from my GP, and I nearly had to cancel and re-book my medical. I would say that on balance, paying the fee and having your medical history straight away is the better scenario, as Knightsbridge will not sign off your medical without it. As @thatguyuknow said, make sure you have it in hand first, then dispute the fee later. My report says "Patient Care Summary" at the top and looked like a standard template which can be printed by the NHS system.

Thank you! How would I dispute the fee later?

You would need to follow the complaint handling procedure of your GP surgery. They can provide you with information on how to officially file a complaint if you ask. I don’t think that it is likely that you will receive a refund, as they are permitted to charge administrative fees such as this, but you can try. It’s a drop in the ocean compared to the cost of the medical, visa, petition filing and AOS though, so I personally would pay it and focus on the rest of the process.

7 minutes ago, theafons said:

Thank you! How would I dispute the fee later?

I don't know. I'd start first by speaking with the practice manager if that can't be resolved write a letter to the practice or NHS England and take it from there. If you're not happy you can go further, probably get your MP involved or a ombudsman.

If I were you I'd speak to the practice manager and show them your handout from Knightsbridge for what documents are requested and see what they say. I'd ask about the fee attached to a Subject access request for patient summary.

Then if that didn't get me anywhere I'd pay the £25 and leave it there.

Edited by thatguyuknow

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.