Queenie2017

Bonafide marriage

17 posts in this topic

I am a US citizen and I petitioned for my spouse. Currently waiting for an interview date from NVC since we received an email in October to notify us that we are in line. We have been married for almost 3 yrs now and have a child together. However we dated for 10 yrs before we got married. (We started dating at a young age).  I would like to know what to submit during the interview to show that our marriage is bonafide. Below  are what we have so far

Marriage certificate 

Pictures of us when we started dating till date

Marriage pictures 

Emails from 10yrs ago till date

Call log from 10yrs ago till date 

Child's birth certificate 

Life insurance (spouse is the beneficiary)

Money transfers receipts from when we got married 

Thank you 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

they care about the stuff most married people have. joint bank accounts, insurance policies, wills, health insurance, joint property, taxes, etc

they dont car eabout 10 year old emails or money transfers

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Thank you debbiedoo. Do we have to have all that you have mentioned?

We already have a joint property and a life insurance policy.

How do I add my spouse to my health insurance if he doesn't live in the U.S? 

Also you mentioned taxes, what do I have to do concerning taxes? 

Edited by Queenie2017

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Queenie2017 said:

Thank you debbiedoo. Do we have to have all that you have mentioned?

We already have a joint property and a life insurance policy.

How do I add my spouse to my health insurance if he doesn't live in the U.S? 

Also you mentioned taxes, what do I have to do concerning taxes? 

youve been married 3 years, you should have been filing joint taxes, or file married but filing separately.

if they are not in the US you probably can not add to health insurance.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

ROC

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Queenie2017 said:

As I stated he doesn't live in the united states so how do we file joint taxes or any form of taxes? 

you can still file married, filing separately, which is what you should have done

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

ROC

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
30 minutes ago, Queenie2017 said:

As I stated he doesn't live in the united states so how do we file joint taxes or any form of taxes? 

you follow the IRS site guidelines

by having him fill out the W7 to get ITIN with the appropiate documents to prove ID and marriage

then add him as spouse to returns and file married joint returns

Edited by adil-rafa

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Evidence of time spent together (boarding passes, passport stamps), is also important for CR1, as well as co-mingling of finances.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
10 hours ago, debbiedoo said:

they care about the stuff most married people have. joint bank accounts, insurance policies, wills, health insurance, joint property, taxes, etc

they dont car eabout 10 year old emails or money transfers

Most newlyweds who have never lived in the same country will have any of the things you've listed as being cared about.  For such couples, evidence of time spent together in person, and examples of how and how frequently they communicate is generally the focus.  Evidence of money transfers can cut positive or negative.  I recommend not showing that.  It is not evidence of commingling of finances.  If they've know each other ten years, a page or two of old communication examples would be a nice touch.  Concentrate on EXAMPLES, not reams of paper that will never be read.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
12 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Most newlyweds who have never lived in the same country will have any of the things you've listed as being cared about.  For such couples, evidence of time spent together in person, and examples of how and how frequently they communicate is generally the focus.  Evidence of money transfers can cut positive or negative.  I recommend not showing that.  It is not evidence of commingling of finances.  If they've know each other ten years, a page or two of old communication examples would be a nice touch.  Concentrate on EXAMPLES, not reams of paper that will never be read.

Agreed.  I tried a bunch of methods to commingle but continuously denied for bank account, bank beneficiary, car insurance, car title, house insurance.   The reason that is that the beneficiary needs to be present to sign.  However, I did get her name on my credit cards, internet bill, electric bill.  I guess it's better than nothing.

In addition, I have been sending her some money each month(around $200).  So you're saying it's not good to show this?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
7 hours ago, IloveDanang said:

In addition, I have been sending her some money each month(around $200).  So you're saying it's not good to show this?

Yes, that's what I'm saying.  Understand the number one question to be resolved is whether the foreign spouse is conducting a bona fide relationship with the petitioner.  Petitioner sending money to the foreign spouse does NOT support that idea in the least.  It CAN support the opposite.  Leave it out.

On the other hand, money coming TO the petitioner FROM the foreign spouse DOES support the idea the foreign spouse is giving incentives to the petitioner to be in the FAKE relationship.  

Money transfers are NOT evidence of co-mingling of finances.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

On 12/18/2018 at 1:16 AM, Queenie2017 said:

I am a US citizen and I petitioned for my spouse. Currently waiting for an interview date from NVC since we received an email in October to notify us that we are in line. We have been married for almost 3 yrs now and have a child together. However we dated for 10 yrs before we got married. (We started dating at a young age).  I would like to know what to submit during the interview to show that our marriage is bonafide. Below  are what we have so far

Marriage certificate 

Pictures of us when we started dating till date

Marriage pictures 

Emails from 10yrs ago till date

Call log from 10yrs ago till date 

Child's birth certificate 

Life insurance (spouse is the beneficiary)

Money transfers receipts from when we got married 

Thank you 

Joing bank statement is good too.

And agreed to other about the tax. My husband does this same, married but filing separately

IR1 / Nebraska Service Center

07/31/2014 : Married 

02/15/2017: Sent I-130 

02/22/2017: NOA1

03/30/2017: NOA2 YAYYYyyyyy  36 days after NOA1.. Blessed  

04/19/2017: Email from NVC

04/19/2017: DS-261 unlocked

04/21/2017: AOS paid

04/25/2017: IV paid

06/14/2017: Sent AOS Package

06/21/2017: Scan date

08/23/2017: Case Complete (9 weeks)

08/24/2017: Received automatic checklist via email from NVC to bring proof of domicile during interview. Still waiting for Interview Appointment.

08/30/2017: Received email from NVC telling that they will be schedule interview.

09/06/2017: Received email from NVC regarding Interview Date

10/25/2017: Interview Date

09/14/2017: Emailed US Embassy to cancel our interview and postpone as wife is pregnant. USEM mentioned to contact them 3 weeks prior to intended date of appointment. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A hijack post has been removed.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.