jgadsby

Travel history and passport requiring replacement

24 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm planning on filing my N400 at some point in the next year. I'm also planning on a trip back to the UK in the summer. To visit the UK, I need to renew my UK passport which expires in few months, and to renew it I need to send the old one back to the UK.

However, according to this PDF: https://www.uscis.gov/files/form/G-1151.pdf - "Have you traveled outside the United States since becoming a permanent resident? If yes, you need to show all foreign travel during the last five years as a permanent resident. Even if you have not traveled outside the United States since becoming a permanent resident, you should bring all of your valid and expired passports and any travel documents issued by USCIS to your naturalization interview. If you do not bring your passport(s) and other documents to your interview, your case could be delayed." -

I have traveled outside the US since becoming a permanent resident, so I need my old passport as documentation. Does this mean I should not visit the UK (and renew my passport) until naturalization is complete? Or can I provide proof of travel outside the US some other way, which does not require my old passport?

Thanks for any clarity!

James

Edited by jgadsby

Can you not just scan the pages of the old passport before you send it back to the UK?  And I know the US returns the old passport with the new on, they just punch a hole through the scan bar section to that it can't be used.

I think we got my husband's old UK passport back when we renewed his a few years ago, too.

Mar 2014 - Married

5/7/14?? - Attorney mailed paperwork

5/15/14 DHS cashed check

5/19/14 - NOA1 received with PD 5/12/14

10/17/14 - NOA2 received

10/28/14 - Email received that file has been sent to NVC

11/13/14 - NVC received file

12/10/14 - NVC Assigned case number

12/12/14 - AOS Fee Invoiced

12/13/14 - Submit email to NVC to remove attorney as DS-261 Agent

12/16/14 - AOS Fee showing as Paid

12/17/14 - IV Fee invoiced

12/20/14 - IV fee available and paid

12/27/14 - DS-260 submitted

1/2/15 - AOS and IV packages sent to NVC

1/5/15 - USPS delivered packages to NVC

1/7/15 - NVC scanned in packages. Let the countdown begin...

1/30/15 - FINALLY got a reply to my email to remove the attorney from the DS-261

3/9/15 - Called NVC and they have checklisted us for an "incorrect" decree absolute from the UK, even though it is the legal official document. Have requested a supervisor review.

4/28/15 - Called and NVC said supervisor had reviewed and now claimed that the decree absolute was not included. After disagreeing with the less than helpful lady on the phone, and her not being able to get the review time right. (She kept changing her story between 42 days and 30 days).

4/30/15 - Sent the same copy of the decree absolute to the NVC from the UK, highlighting the "decree absolute" wording with a letter stating that this is the only document provided by the UK government.

5/6/15 - Scan date for checklist received.

6/5/15 - Case complete!!!

6/12/15 - Called and interview is scheduled for July 1!

6/14/15 - Received email with interview date and instructions.

6/19/15 - Case showing as ready on CEAC.

7/1/15 - Approved at interview!!!

7/6/15 - CEAC changed to Administrative Processing

7/7/15 - CEAC changed to Issued!!!!!

7/10/15 - Passport and packet delivered!

7/29/15 - Husband entered with visa at Dallas/Fort Worth airport

9/29/15 - GC delivered!!!

5/4/17 - ROC packet sent via USPS

5/9/17 - Tracking shows delivered

5/17/17 - Check cashed

5/19/17 - NOA1 received with date of 5/8/17

5/27/17 - Biometrics appt received 6/8/17

14 minutes ago, mlh said:

Can you not just scan the pages of the old passport before you send it back to the UK?  And I know the US returns the old passport with the new on, they just punch a hole through the scan bar section to that it can't be used.

I think we got my husband's old UK passport back when we renewed his a few years ago, too.

I was under the impression I needed the original document / passport as evidence? Not a bad idea though!

I also didn't know I got the old passport back. That's good to know! I'll scan the old one before I send it for replacement just in case though.

Thanks guys.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
35 minutes ago, jgadsby said:

I was under the impression I needed the original document / passport as evidence? Not a bad idea though!

I also didn't know I got the old passport back. That's good to know! I'll scan the old one before I send it for replacement just in case though.

Thanks guys.

Just as a reminder, that anytime you submit any paperwork to immigration....they do not send those documents back at all. USCIS only gives documents back if you hand them at any face to face interview, if you ask them. At my N-400 interview had the same issue and renewed it, but I get to keep my old passport. 

Edited by Alabamak1

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I did my N400 test / interview last Thursday and I had my old passport but I was never asked for it, but I guess I would do what mlh said and scan the pages.

Australia return you old one also with the bottom cut off.

M.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
26 minutes ago, Alabamak1 said:

Just as a reminder, that anytime you submit any paperwork to immigration....they do not send those documents back at all. USCIS only gives documents back if you hand them at any face to face interview, if you ask them. At my N-400 interview had the same issue and renewed it, but I get to keep my old passport. 

The OP asking about renew his UK Passport and can he keep his old UK PP for documentation or not.

Edited by H&T

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
3 minutes ago, H&T said:

The OP asking about renew his UK Passport and can he keep his old UK PP for documentation or not.

Again, if the UK returns his passport, that is independently and may differ by country. I did not need to provide my old passport for my N-400. I send photocopies of my old passport and show my valid one at the interview, because they wanted to see the documentation and gave it right back. For verification only. In reality they only need to have a close estimate of the dates. Their database access is accurate to know when you left the country at any POE/EXIT port

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

You will get your old UK passport back with the corner cut off. The whole process takes less than 2 weeks so you won’t be without a passport for long. You could also send boarding passes? 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Take a look at your I-94. it has all your departures/arrivals.

A new passport gets' "attached " to your old passport, even if the document has a different number. 

Once you enter the US with your renewed passport, all your Travel history should be on your I-94, regardless  of the passport number. 

I had my passport renewed, in 2015. It has completely different number. But my  I-94 shows ALL my trips, including the entry in 2014 on a K--1 visa with my old passport.

for the peace in mind you can get your current I-94 printed now, while you have your old passport.

https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home

But as I've said - no worries  :) all your departures/arrivals are in the System, regardless of the passport and it's number.

Besides,  USCIS usually goes by I-64, to check how long you were out of the US.

Good luck!

Edited by Ksenia_O

Timeline
2 hours ago, USS_Voyager said:

They didn't ask for my own passport at the N-400 interview either. The lady said she verified the entry/exit data in her computer against what's on the N-400 form and if they all matches, no more question about that. That's what happened to me

Right. They match it with I-94 record.

Timeline
19 hours ago, JFH said:

You will get your old UK passport back with the corner cut off. The whole process takes less than 2 weeks so you won’t be without a passport for long. You could also send boarding passes? 

Same in Ukraine - if you want to keep your  expired passport , then the 'old" one will be returned to you with the corner cut off. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 hours ago, Ksenia_O said:

Take a look at your I-94. it has all your departures/arrivals.

A new passport gets' "attached " to your old passport, even if the document has a different number. 

Once you enter the US with your renewed passport, all your Travel history should be on your I-94, regardless  of the passport number. 

I had my passport renewed, in 2015. It has completely different number. But my  I-94 shows ALL my trips, including the entry in 2014 on a K--1 visa with my old passport.

for the peace in mind you can get your current I-94 printed now, while you have your old passport.

https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home

But as I've said - no worries  :) all your departures/arrivals are in the System, regardless of the passport and it's number.

Besides,  USCIS usually goes by I-64, to check how long you were out of the US.

Good luck!

There are no I-94 records for permanent residents.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.