Ayliee K

Hi, I'm a single mother of 1 yo son. I need some advice about EB3.

44 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Can you do a PHD in Nursing?

You can do a PhD in anything, however someone looking for an EB visa to practice as a nurse probably isn’t on a PhD track. OP has yet to complete a degree from what I understand though, and it’s not even clear to me if it is in nursing or if she was mentioning nursing simply due to having discovered that it is in fact a relatively easy track to a work-based green card.

I seriously that an illegal alcoholic immigrant will pursue her and her child. So, it looks like she’s safe in that regard. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I don't know that much about F-1 visas, but I do know that there are several universities here in the ND/MN area that charge in state tuition to international students. That would lower the cost of tuition to about $8000/year roughly. The cost of living is also affordable.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

19 hours ago, N-o-l-a said:

I don't know that much about F-1 visas, but I do know that there are several universities here in the ND/MN area that charge in state tuition to international students. That would lower the cost of tuition to about $8000/year roughly. The cost of living is also affordable.

I had no idea any university in the US was that cheap even for instate students.

Timeline
2 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

I had no idea any university in the US was that cheap even for instate students.

It isn't something I put much thought into until I started paying my own college bills, but there are still places where college students can afford to pay for their own tuition or living expenses. We also have a huge worker shortage here, so college kids have their pick of jobs.

3/26/18 Biometrics

Filed: Other Timeline
3 hours ago, N-o-l-a said:

It isn't something I put much thought into until I started paying my own college bills, but there are still places where college students can afford to pay for their own tuition or living expenses. We also have a huge worker shortage here, so college kids have their pick of jobs.

Job availability is dependent on major and location.  There are many unemployed - and unemployable - college graduates.

Timeline
7 hours ago, CEE53147 said:

Job availability is dependent on major and location.  There are many unemployed - and unemployable - college graduates.

I was referring to students working, but the only way someone doesn't have a job here is if they don't want to work.

3/26/18 Biometrics

Filed: Other Timeline
On 12/18/2018 at 10:11 AM, N-o-l-a said:

I was referring to students working, but the only way someone doesn't have a job here is if they don't want to work.

That is not true. There are both recent and aging college graduates that cannot get jobs in their fields and end up as restaurant servers, fast food workers, bartenders, etc. or in entry level positions outside their field of study.  This is a job that wont pay school loans.  One son's friend was laid off and took a job paying $11/hr when he had been making over $20.  Another was laid off of a $100K plus job in IT because it went to Mexico. It is unlikely he will get a comparable position. A college degree is no longer a guarantee of a job in your field.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I think the comment was a job, not how well paid it was.

Obviously if a high paid job can be offshored at considerable savings then you are at risk. Difficult to offshore a bartender which can be surprisingly well paid.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
23 hours ago, CEE53147 said:

That is not true. There are both recent and aging college graduates that cannot get jobs in their fields and end up as restaurant servers, fast food workers, bartenders, etc. or in entry level positions outside their field of study.  This is a job that wont pay school loans.  One son's friend was laid off and took a job paying $11/hr when he had been making over $20.  Another was laid off of a $100K plus job in IT because it went to Mexico. It is unlikely he will get a comparable position. A college degree is no longer a guarantee of a job in your field.

And again, I was specifically referring to the upper Midwest. We quite literally do not have any jobs paying $11/hr around here, unless they are geared towards HS students. Our fast food places have to close some days due to lack of employees.

Both my husband's job and my future job that don't require college degrees pay over $20/hr and there are always jobs recruiting, especially labor, driving, and factory jobs that pay around that.

Like I said, if people are looking, there are jobs.

3/26/18 Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 12/19/2018 at 10:24 AM, CEE53147 said:

She is not talking about all over the US. Look at her first comment. She clearly stated where she is talking about.  Now enough with derailing this thread. 

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: O-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 12/16/2018 at 7:50 PM, carmel34 said:

Yes, I am a university dean.  I am hiring 9 faculty right now, new PhDs.  So yes, I know about the large number of applicants.  I also know that there is a shortage of applicants in fields like technology and business.  Most of the faculty I am hiring are from abroad, finishing PhDs in the US, and we do all of their visa paperwork, pay the attorney's fees, etc.  It takes a lot of work, but it is a very doable path for someone who is really motivated, and the business and technology assistant professor positions pay well, 100K+.  Just a suggestion for OP.

I am looking for a faculty job too! if you have any hints, please let me know. my difficulty has been that i am a licensed psychologist in brazil, but not the us. i will try to get licensed in the us (and have been trying for several years) but it will likely require going back to grad school on top of my current clinical job. i was a professor for some time in brazil, but in the us everywhere i've applied has asked me to be licensed... what school are you a dean at?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.