pacoba

yet another 864 question

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I know this might be a repetitive question, but I am indeed a nervous person about this whole process lol. My wife is sponsoring me and I dont really have anything to report since I quit my job to come to america. I have seen a few places saying I should submit one -i864 for me and another i-864 with my wife sponsorship, is that correct? Thanks in advance!

8 minutes ago, pacoba said:

Hi everyone,

I know this might be a repetitive question, but I am indeed a nervous person about this whole process lol. My wife is sponsoring me and I dont really have anything to report since I quit my job to come to america. I have seen a few places saying I should submit one -i864 for me and another i-864 with my wife sponsorship, is that correct? Thanks in advance!

Does your USC wife meet the financial poverty guidlines for your household size?

She is the sponsor. You CAN report your income in combination with her income if it is needed but it wont be on a seperate I864.

You as the principal immigrant would fill out Part 7 Item 5,6,7,8 and 9 of HER I864 form and then YOU would also fill out an I864A.

BUT that is only if she does not meet the guidelines on her own with her current income.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
17 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Does your USC wife meet the financial poverty guidlines for your household size?

She is the sponsor. You CAN report your income in combination with her income if it is needed but it wont be on a seperate I864.

You as the principal immigrant would fill out Part 7 Item 5,6,7,8 and 9 of HER I864 form and then YOU would also fill out an I864A.

BUT that is only if she does not meet the guidelines on her own with her current income.

she does exceed the 125% threshold. I will checkout the i864A you are mentioning then. I was just confused since I dont have anything to actually report. But will go back to it. Thanks a lot!

2 minutes ago, pacoba said:

she does exceed the 125% threshold. I will checkout the i864A you are mentioning then. I was just confused since I dont have anything to actually report. But will go back to it. Thanks a lot!

You as the principal immigrant do not HAVE TO report anything. It's not expected because you are not legally allowed to work until you receive either your EAD or GC. Your sponsor holds the financial responsibility for your household while your AOS is pending. 

1 hour ago, K1visaHopeful said:

and then YOU would also fill out an I864A.

An I-864A from the intending immigrant is not required unless there are accompanying dependents. They just need to list their info (in part 6), check off item #22, and provide supporting documentation.

"One or more of the people listed in Item Numbers 8., 11., 14., and 17. do not need to complete Form I-864A because he or she is the intending immigrant and has no accompanying dependents."

Edit: And yes, no need to do this unless there is income to be reported...which doesn't apply to a K-1 holder pre-EAD.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.