Dave&Kal

MEGATHREAD Government shut down(merged)

140 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
18 minutes ago, peanutismint said:

Got NOA2 via email on Nov 22nd and then by letter a week later. It's Christmas eve tomorrow and STILL waiting for ANY further correspondence from USCIS or the US Embassy in London....

Is this a standard length of time to wait or is the government shutdown holding things up?? 

Its called the holidays. 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
1 hour ago, peanutismint said:

Got NOA2 via email on Nov 22nd and then by letter a week later. It's Christmas eve tomorrow and STILL waiting for ANY further correspondence from USCIS or the US Embassy in London....

Is this a standard length of time to wait or is the government shutdown holding things up?? 

The shutdown started midnight on Friday. It isn't even Monday yet, so no, the shutdown has not held anything up yet. Also, due to the holidays, the embassy in London will be closed from Monday through Wednesday... 

So right now the holidays are more of a factor than the shutdown. That won't impact your situation until Thursday... And at that point, if the shutdown is still going on, yes, it will hold things up for you at the embassy since only essential work will be done, and I don't think K-1 visa applications are considered "essential". 

Have you contacted NVC to see if they've received your petition? USCIS won't be sending you anything after the NOA2. 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Timeline
51 minutes ago, usmsbow said:

The shutdown started midnight on Friday. It isn't even Monday yet, so no, the shutdown has not held anything up yet. Also, due to the holidays, the embassy in London will be closed from Monday through Wednesday... 

So right now the holidays are more of a factor than the shutdown. That won't impact your situation until Thursday... And at that point, if the shutdown is still going on, yes, it will hold things up for you at the embassy since only essential work will be done, and I don't think K-1 visa applications are considered "essential". 

Have you contacted NVC to see if they've received your petition? USCIS won't be sending you anything after the NOA2. 

The effected areas for the shutdown are dependent on the source of funding.  Visa units have fee income as a funding source and will continue operating as long as they have money in that account

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
12 minutes ago, payxibka said:

The effected areas for the shutdown are dependent on the source of funding.  Visa units have fee income as a funding source and will continue operating as long as they have money in that account

True. Forgot about the visa fee. 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

19 hours ago, peanutismint said:

Not govt shut down issues.  Holiday issues. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

How does the current government shutdown affect cases that are already at the NVC?

I have no idea, and Google searching gives me mixed messages ... just curious if anyone has any idea?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline

I've heard that government shutdowns don't affect the immigration process because filing fees are what funds USCIS. 

unitedstates.gift4518.gifbelgium-flag.gif

Met Online March 3, 2016

Became a couple April 2, 2016

First trip to Belgium: June 28 - August 11, 2016

Second trip to Belgium: December 15, 2016 - March 11, 2017

K1

Sent in I-129F September 14, 2016

Visa received in hand April 6, 2017

I-129F to K1 in hand: 204 days (6 months 23 days)

Arrived into the US May 10, 2017

Married June 2, 2017!!

AOS

Sent AOS packet January 19, 2018

Greencard received in mail June 14, 2018

AOS to Greencard in hand: 146 days (4 months 26 days)  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, sunshinelove said:

I've heard that government shutdowns don't affect the immigration process because filing fees are what funds USCIS. 

The NVC and USCIS are two separate agencies. USCIS is funded by filling fees but NVC is federally funded and is apart of the shutdown. However, the employees are still to report to work, they're just not being paid for the time being. No telling how or if this will affect how quickly or efficiently they work. I'd be pretty damn bitter if I had to get up early to go to work every day knowing I wasn't getting paid until the shutdown ends. 

Edited by Apple Bee

Marriage :

2018-04-19

I-130 Sent :

2018-05-18

I-130 NOA1 :

2018-05-22

I-130 Approved :

2018-11-28

NVC Received :

2019-01-03

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill :

2019-02-20

Pay AOS Bill :

2019-02-20

Send AOS Package :

2019-03-05

Receive IV Bill :

2019-02-20

Pay IV Bill :

2019-02-20

Send IV Package :

2019-03-05

Case Completed:                      

Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter :

Interview :

2019-03-15

2019-04-11

2019-05-21

APPROVED

1 hour ago, EllisAndRenz said:

How does the current government shutdown affect cases that are already at the NVC?

I have no idea, and Google searching gives me mixed messages ... just curious if anyone has any idea?

there have already been multiple posts on this same subject.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

How would this generally impact cases who’ve gone through the interview and in administrative processing ? I know it’s a little hard to say since In AP some cases get sent back to certain agencies ... 

Timeline
5 hours ago, JonSho said:

How would this generally impact cases who’ve gone through the interview and in administrative processing ? I know it’s a little hard to say since In AP some cases get sent back to certain agencies ... 

If the agencies that are involved are affected then of course it will impact 

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.