Dave&Kal

MEGATHREAD Government shut down(merged)

140 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
3 hours ago, A.A said:

From what I read USCIS process does not stop after the government shut down tonight, BUT what about the National Visa Center (Dept of State)? Any visa processing being sent there by the USCIS to NVC be affected?

in other words my case with the NVC will it be affected? Delayed?

Someone upthread did mention that the NVC will be affected as the department of state would is apart of the shutdown. My approved petition JUST got sent to NVC today now I'm worried I won't hear from them for a long while

Marriage :

2018-04-19

I-130 Sent :

2018-05-18

I-130 NOA1 :

2018-05-22

I-130 Approved :

2018-11-28

NVC Received :

2019-01-03

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill :

2019-02-20

Pay AOS Bill :

2019-02-20

Send AOS Package :

2019-03-05

Receive IV Bill :

2019-02-20

Pay IV Bill :

2019-02-20

Send IV Package :

2019-03-05

Case Completed:                      

Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter :

Interview :

2019-03-15

2019-04-11

2019-05-21

APPROVED

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
2 minutes ago, xotermic said:

I just spoke with the NVC related to our K1 and in the conversation the agent shared that they were told today that the shutdown would not impact any processing at the NVC or embassies outside of the expected holidays for Christmas and New Year's. 

Wow I hope that's true. If so that's great news

Marriage :

2018-04-19

I-130 Sent :

2018-05-18

I-130 NOA1 :

2018-05-22

I-130 Approved :

2018-11-28

NVC Received :

2019-01-03

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill :

2019-02-20

Pay AOS Bill :

2019-02-20

Send AOS Package :

2019-03-05

Receive IV Bill :

2019-02-20

Pay IV Bill :

2019-02-20

Send IV Package :

2019-03-05

Case Completed:                      

Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter :

Interview :

2019-03-15

2019-04-11

2019-05-21

APPROVED

I've read through all of this. My fiancee had her K1 visa interview on Thursday, December 20 and was approved. Sounds like her visa may or may not get processed depending on when they run out of money from fees, is that correct? Seems like it's a toss-up on if she'll get her visa, depending on processing time, or am I wrong? She interviewed at the consulate in Guangzhou, if that matters. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
6 hours ago, Apple Bee said:

Someone upthread did mention that the NVC will be affected as the department of state would is apart of the shutdown. My approved petition JUST got sent to NVC today now I'm worried I won't hear from them for a long while

I think the confusion maybe because the NVC is part of the State Department, which is impacted.  However, according to the agent, there was a meeting in the early afternoon today and all NVC employees were told that they are not impacted.  Maybe there is an insider out there that can confirm.  If anyone else called today, the initial recorded message stated they had a mid day shutdown today which I am assuming was for the meeting the agent referenced.  I guess we’ll find out by calling on Wednesday.  

My wife just arrived a couple of days ago. While we are not concerned about her green card arriving,  we are worried about the shutdown affecting her getting her social security card.  She can't work, I can't refile an adjusted tax return, nor put her name on the banking account until she has her number. 

We marked yes on the DS260 that she wants her SSN sent automatically. I'm not certain if this shutdown will affect her getting it. Does anyone know?

52 minutes ago, C&AH said:

My wife just arrived a couple of days ago. While we are not concerned about her green card arriving,  we are worried about the shutdown affecting her getting her social security card.  She can't work, I can't refile an adjusted tax return, nor put her name on the banking account until she has her number. 

We marked yes on the DS260 that she wants her SSN sent automatically. I'm not certain if this shutdown will affect her getting it. Does anyone know?

Probably.

So this is from last year when the govt shut down:

https://tucson.com/business/social-security-and-you-gov-t-shutdown-is-silliness-that/article_095cb593-ae62-5c0b-9b1c-5be9c7c17a83.html

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Austria
Timeline
2 hours ago, C&AH said:

Honestly...I arrived a month ago and they do not send the SSN card automatically.

At least not in my and my friends case

I was lucky because I already had a number from a previous stay but I went to the office and applied for a new card as the old one was in my maiden name etc.Nothing automatic. They didn‘t know anything about it and after I applied it took 3 business days for me to get the new card.

I know this doesn‘t completely answer your question and I do think thaht the shutdown would affect the whole SSN thing...just wanted to inform you about them not really sending it automatically ;)

Edited by mrmvkjts

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline
50 minutes ago, dilip said:

We all waited more than a year for approval,  we could wait a few more days- my opinion only

I agree 100%, a few weeks delays is nothing. Me and my Romanian wife waited 8 months for the K1 and now we're about 2 months in waiting for the work permit and adjustment of status interview, the latter of which we know could take up to 13 months.

You have to wait, that is the entire point of immigrating to America. If it took 1 month, everyone would do it tomorrow. 

Maybe when the green card is in hand or naturalization process is complete, I'll rant about something. But I'm sure as hell not going to complain while being right in the middle of it.  Yeah, shutdowns and delays suck, but this is America and you have to get used to it. Millions of people are trying to immigrate here and they all have to be vetted. 

Edited by Rocko20

• Ontarkie locked and unlocked this topic
Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Well, it would seem we can get the wall AND your own personal interests won't be adversely affected, because everyone knows each of our individual cases are more important than the national security of 325 million people.  

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
On 12/16/2018 at 3:42 PM, usedforspam22 said:

USCIS is self-funding, not impacted by the Republican's shutting down the government. 

Nor by the Democrats' refusal to take our national security seriously.  Why are people bringing their politics into this question?  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
25 minutes ago, C B said:

Why are people bringing their politics into this question?  

That's right.  There's a forum for political discussion, and this is NOT it.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Got NOA2 via email on Nov 22nd and then by letter a week later. It's Christmas eve tomorrow and STILL waiting for ANY further correspondence from USCIS or the US Embassy in London....

Is this a standard length of time to wait or is the government shutdown holding things up?? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.