John501

I751 is pending for 6 years should I apply citizenship?

48 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, John501 said:

Thank you for your comment.

I have went to many different lawyers in my time. 

The first one was from Mexico.  I went him in 2014. He said that he needed a little time to work on my case and I should wait until they make a decision.  When I received the first letter I called him and told him about the letter. He said that "I will call you back " he never called me back 

(2015)The second one was an American guy.  He didn't charge me for consultation. When I showed him the letter he straight advised me find another lawyer or I should mail all the letters pictures and bills with written small notes. He wished me the best

The third one was an American lady. She is an attorney since 1976. I called her office for an appointment and her secretary told me that $100 for consultation. I went to her office on time she showed up after 45 minutes. I told her about my situation. She was like I have never seen a case like yours before she needed 14 hours work on this case. Which was over $8k 

She also charged me $275 for consultation 

(2016)The fourth one is from Turkey (in Memphis) his review was 4.5 stars. He's been an attorney for over 40 years. I contacted with him. The first consultation was $300.  He didn't showed up. His assistant came to talk to me. I told her everything about my case. She took some notes and told me tgat she would give me a call after talk to him. After two weeks she called me. She told me that she would file a new form i751 ($2500)  and she needed to work with her boss for my case. She wanted me to put down $4500 deposit pay her $350/hr and for him $550/hr. If they needed to go to out of the office there was a flat fee $1500 for every time.  I asked her how many hours would it be? She said depends between 15-25 hours.  I asked her that why would I pay for two attornies? I told her that I don't have free money to give them. She emailed me after 6 months the price was only $175/hr for her /350 for him and no deposit needed. 

(2016-2017) one of the church has immigrant services. It is super low cost. I spoke with one of the attorneys on the phone. She said that I should wait until they make a decision.  Because of the Election. That's it

In 2018 I called her back for file a citizenship. She didn't agree with that. I should try with another attorney and said good luck

(2017) I contacted with a lawyer from at Louis. He said that I need to sue uscis. I asked him how much would it be? He said close to $50k 

(2018) from Arkansas. She is a European lady. I straight emailed her that. I told her everything and asked her straight that if she would take my case. She said no problem just come see me at the office.  I went to her office and wttalkedd. She said that it's an extreme case. She wanted to charge me $1500 deposit $600/hr if she needs to work on the weekends $725/hr for trips $1100 plus 2hr charge. If I call her or email her she would charge me 30 minutes for each of them. 

(2018 ) he is forming Middle east lives in Arkansas. I emailed him.He explained everything and straight told me that he wouldn't take my case. I should contact with the congressman he didn't charge me and he was super honest to me. 

So I don't know that if I should hire an attorney or do everything by my own.

1 hour ago, Georgia16 said:

OP..

What is the background behind all this? What visa did you enter on and for how long were you guys married? Did you have good evidence from your marriage when you submitted your ROC?

I was a student. And we were married for 4.5 years. Our 1st interview didn't take 5 minutes. Officer asked some questions and said congrats!

The reason was my ex-wife filled my form. We didn't have enough money to fill the form i751 with a lawyer. she did everything in order but she made a mistake. The mistake was she sent  our joint accounts one of the copies each and she accidentally put my old car insurance policy from 2009.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
1 minute ago, John501 said:

I was a student. And we were married for 4.5 years. Our 1st interview didn't take 5 minutes. Officer asked some questions and said congrats!

The reason was my ex-wife filled my form. We didn't have enough money to fill the form i751 with a lawyer. she did everything in order but she made a mistake. The mistake was she sent  our joint accounts one of the copies each and she accidentally put my old car insurance policy from 2009.

I have a hard time seeing why that should delay it so much. When you switched to a divorce waiver did you then send in more evidence also?

If you were married for that long there should be a lot of evidence and a divorce waiver should not be a problem.

That she sent in joint accounts is fine and one old insurance policy should cause all these problems.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I would go with the last Lawyer

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

5 minutes ago, Georgia16 said:

I have a hard time seeing why that should delay it so much. When you switched to a divorce waiver did you then send in more evidence also?

If you were married for that long there should be a lot of evidence and a divorce waiver should not be a problem.

That she sent in joint accounts is fine and one old insurance policy should cause all these problems.

Yes, i sent them everything i attached small notes with explaining everything. 

I'm thinking that maybe everything is good in my case but they have punished me for 6 years.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
Just now, John501 said:

Yes, i sent them everything i attached small notes with explaining everything. 

I'm thinking that maybe everything is good in my case but they have punished me for 6 years.

Try and get your congressman involved and see if he/she can get some answers for you.

You should be given automatic citizenship for having waited so long!  🇺🇸 As for suing them, that’s what most Americans would do. Welcome to America. Don’t do it. Move on.  I’m sure you can do this yourself. We are here to help.  Best of luck to you...

Edited by Diane and Chris

A lawyer really can't do much with an I-751.

They can't answer questions in an interview for you, or intervene. They can't speed up the process.

And of course, not all lawyers are created equal......or competent. Some of quoted these fees are crackers. This is where forums like this are a goldmine - although as always, cross check and verify info with multiple sources.

You would probably need a lawyer if you were to sue USCIS....but there are other unexplored avenues available to you before that, as detailed in my previous reply.

Going to an infopass and asking why the delay won't help. Nor will calling them. You will just get pro-forma/blanket/rude/unhelpful/patronising responses (or all of the above together) and basically nothing will be done. Sadly, to many USCIS employees, you are just a number. Not all, but many. Going to an infopass for a stamp is still available to you though...and would perhaps be prudent.

I think it fair to assume that your case has fallen through the cracks somewhere - find your local representatives, go to their websites and they will usually have a form or email address for immigration enquiries. Put together a very simple email - KISS (keep it simple stupid) - without complicating it with fluff and irrelevant fatcs, and send it off to all of them. Mention specifically that it is is WELL out of processing time by several years.

Do the same with the ombudsman link previously posted. USCIS legally MUST respond in a specific timeframe to both the ombudsman, and to an enquiry from a senator or congressperson.

Also file your N-400.

By doing these three things, you should get some movement in some way.

It may take another year for your N-400 to be processed, which will force adjudication of your I-751, but thats better than continuing to do ####### all and it negatively affecting your life (been there, done that)

Edited by mindthegap

CR1 / DCF (London): 2012 / 2013 (4 months from I-130 petition to visa in hand)

I-751 #1- April 2015 [Denied]

April 2015 : I-751 Joint filing package sent fedex next day 09:00am from UK ($lots - thanks). 
Jan 2017: Notification that an interview has been scheduled at a local office. Bizarrely still no RFE... 
Jan 2017: 2hr wait, then interview terminated before it began, due to moving my ID to another state 2 wks prior. New interview 'in a few months...maybe.'   Informed them that divorce proceedings are underway, but not finalised at this time. 
March 2017: An Interview was scheduled - marked as no-show as they didn't actually send out a notification of interview. FML 
April  2017: Filed an official complaint with the ombudsman, and have requested Senator & Congressman assistance
August 2017: Interview - switched to a (finalised) divorce waiver. Told that decision will be made that afternoon, but no problems foreseen with my case. 
October 2017: Letter of Denial received - reason given as 'I-751 petition was not properly filed'. Discovered ex-spouse made false allegations to USCIS in 2015. No opportunity given to review & refute allegations  - contrary to USCIS policy.

I-751 #2 - Oct 2017 - Mar 2021[Denied] 

October 2017: Within 72hrs of receiving denial notice, a new waiver I-751, divorce decree & $680 cheque, sent to Vermont via FedEx overnight 9am priority.  
Dec 2019: Filed FOIA request for full A# file
Feb 2020: FOIA request completed - entire A# file received as a .PDF; 197 pages fully redacted, and 80 partially redacted. Don't waste your time!
March 2021: I-751 #2 denied for lack of evidence. No RFE, no interview, and evidence in previous I-751 not reviewed - contrary to policy. Huge errors in adjudication.

N-400 - Feb 2018 - Apr 2021 [Denied]

February 2018: N-400 filed online.  $725 paid to the USCIS paperwork wastage fund

February  2019: Interview - cancelled after a four hour wait due to 'missing paperwork' on their end. Promised Expedited reschedule.

March 2021: Interview letter received, strangely dated after I-751 denial. No I-751 interview conducted. N-400 interview and test passed, given 'cannot make a decision at this time' paper due to the ongoing I-751 nightmare...

April 2021: N-400 denial received citing recent I-751 denial as basis for ineligibility, even though it should have been a combo interview 🤯

I AM JACK'S COMPLETE LACK OF SURPRISE

I-751 Service Motion - March 2021 [Sent via FedEx & COMPLETELY IGNORED by USCIS]

March 2021: Service Motion request sent overnight addressed direectly to field office director, requesting urgent review and re-opening, based on errors in adjudication - citing USCIS policy, AFM and memorandums as basis for errors. This was completely ignored by USCIS.

I-751 #3 - June 2021 - Jan 2024 [Denied]

IT'S GROUNDHOG DAY

June 2021: I-751 #3 (30+lbs/5000 pages of paperwork) & another $680 sent to USCIS via FedEx ($300+..thanks) .... 

June 2021: Receipt issued, card charged, biometrics waived, infopass scheduled for I-551 stamp number ten.....

Feb 2022: RFIE (no, not an RFE, a Request For Initial Evidence) received, for copies of the divorce paperwork that they already have 😑

July 2022: Infopass for I-551 stamp number eleven.....

August 2023: Infopass for I-551 stamp number twelve....

January 2024: Denial received, ignoring the overwhelming majority of the filing, abundance of evidence, and refutation of a provably false allegation. The denial also contradicts itself in multiple places, as if it was written by someone with an IQ <50.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

2024: FML. Seriously. I'm done. 

7 hours ago, Diane and Chris said:

As for suing them, that’s what most Americans would do. Welcome to America. Don’t do it. 

Do you know what a mandamus lawsuit is? 

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

5 hours ago, Hypnos said:

Do you know what a mandamus lawsuit is? 

I know now. After reading about it, I would hesitate to advise OP to pursue this route. It seems extremely expensive and would almost certainly require the use of a “good” immigration attorney.  As others have stated, contacting their senator or representative appears to be the best option. 

18 hours ago, John501 said:

So I don't know that if I should hire an attorney or do everything by my own.

So, are there other issues involved? It is hard to accept that some lawyers refuses to take your case IF and Only IF your case is just average divorce waiver case without any facts of criminal cases. If it is just a simple divorce waiver case, it is not too difficult to get approved. Many divorce cases get approved WITHOUT interviews as well as many divorce cases are approved WITH interviews. It all depends on supporting documentations and to some degree, legal representatives or the applicants' ability to clearly deliver the case to USCIS. 

Since you mentioned some lawyers refused to take your case or commented your case is difficult, what are the reasons for them? 

Often time, yes, if your case is involved in domestic battery or other criminal issues, it can be hard. I am assuming that is only reason they would refuse to take your case. 

If not, contact your case to American Immigration Lawyer Association (AILA), should you decide to proceed your case with the help of legal professionals. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.