John951

December 2018 Trump government shutdown

26 posts in this topic

I don't think the DoS will be affected by the shutdown (just the DHS). Moreover, it's possible that consular services would continue even in the case DoS is affected, in part because visa processing is self-funded (applicants pay for them). However, whether the shutdown will affect your application depends on the type of the visa. If they need to run certain background checks, the process may be slowed down (depending on whether the DHS is involved or not). My understanding is that this will be a partial shutdown so agencies such as FBI and departments such as DoL should be working just fine. So it's quite unlikely that the visa processing will be affected.  

But stay prepared for anything just in case... 

Edited by randomstairs
03/04/2016 AOS (EB2-NIW concurrent with I-485) mailed to Lewisville TX Lockbox
03/07/2016 AOS delivered to USCIS and signed
03/12/2016 Case received by Nebraska Service Center (NSC)
03/14/2016 Text notification received for I-140/I-485/I-765/I-131.
04/08/2016 Biometrics notice received for 04/21
04/13/2016 Biometrics early walk-in completed.
04/15/2016 EAD/AP combo card received in mail.

Long wait begins...

11/04/2016 I-140/485 cases transferred from Nebraska to TCS
12/01/2016 Prepared package for EAD/AP renewal (expires 04/09/2017)
12/23/2016 USCIS suddenly changes several forms, invalidating my EAD/AP renewal package (not yet sent)
12/27/2016 USCIS suddenly reforms the entire NIW criteria system, replacing a 20 years old one. Uncharted waters. 
01/07/2017 (Saturday!) EAD/AP renewal package with new forms received in Phoenix "reception desk"
01/17/2017 EAD/AP renewal case accepted; text/email with receipt numbers was received
01/30/2017 Law firm finally confirms that USCIS has suspended processing all EB2-NIW cases due to new criteria. 
02/23/2017 USCIS slowly starts adjudicating NIW cases again.
04/21/2017 Extended EAD/AP received in mail. Valid for 2 years. 
05/06/2017 Received a massive RFE on I-140 NIW case.
07/20/2017 RFE response received by USCIS (a very long response with 30 pages of docs)
09/14/2017 I-140 NIW approved!!! 
11/28/2017 RFE for new medical issued (plus another request re Supp J for employment which is clearly issued in error)
12/04/2017 RFE received in mail
12/07/2017 repeated medical exam for I-485
12/08/2017 Attorney receives documents for responding to I-485 RFE
12/21/2017 Response to RFE received by USCIS 
02/09/2018 I-485 approval (text, email) :)
02/08/2018 I-485 approval notice issued (the "welcome letter") - I'm LPR now
02/16/2018 Green card received

11/14/2022 Filed N-400 online; receipt and biometrics reuse form received online
03/07/2023 N-400 Interview scheduled 
04/xx/2023 N-400 approved, same-day Oath ceremony completed. I'm a US citizen.
05/xx/2023 US passport in hand

USCIS is not affected by the government shutdown as it is a fee-for-service agency (your fees are what paying them) with the exception of the E-verify program, that's funded by the US government and will be shut down during a shutdown.

Other agencies belong to DHS will continue to operate inlcuding ICE and CBP. Those are considered essential to the protection of human lives and properties (or whatever the terms are). However, those guys won't get paid until a deal is reached and the President signs the new funding bill.

US Embassies are supposed to keep a skeleton crews of "essential personnel" working. However, it was never elaborated what that means. 

I am also concerned as I have an interview January 3rd but after hours of research on forums and articles it seems that embassies will keep working as usual until funds run out therefore short term shut down might not affect anyone. But a long shutdown might. I will call the us embassy in Mexico as that is my location to see If they can shed some light on this. But please anyone with info keep us updated. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2018 at 9:25 AM, John951 said:

Sweet, so I shouldn't see any delay in my girls interview

Depends.. USCIS or embassy? 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Possibly since non-essential employees won't be going to work.  It would be best to remember that essential employees are going to work but aren't getting paid either. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

NVC posted this on their website for any who are at NVC stage: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/lapse-in-appropriations.html

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

What about the biometrics results that the Embassies need to issue the final visa (I have an interview schedule on Jan. 8th for K1 Fiancé visa).

If the Dept of Homeland Security won’t be operative because of the lapse of funding, than they won’t be able to respond to the Embassies...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Lucrezia_ITALY said:

What about the biometrics results that the Embassies need to issue the final visa (I have an interview schedule on Jan. 8th for K1 Fiancé visa).

If the Dept of Homeland Security won’t be operative because of the lapse of funding, than they won’t be able to respond to the Embassies...

@Lucrezia_ITALYLet me know what happens at the embassy, my girl had her k1 interview on the 17th

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.