refugee

Trump Has Made U.S. Policy Much More Resistant To Immigration — Without The Wall

58 posts in this topic

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trump-hasnt-needed-the-wall-to-remake-u-s-immigration-policy/
President Trump and congressional Democrats are fighting over how much the U.S. government should spend on Trump’s proposed border wall, risking another government shutdown because of a dispute over immigration policy. However those negotiations turn out, though, here’s the thing: The massive wall, which Trump has said would stretch 1,000 milesacross the U.S.-Mexico border, is very unlikely to be built, at least at that size. Mexico is not paying for it, and Congress is unlikely to put up much money for it.

I cannot calculate the curve and complete the figure by the experience of sight; I can divine it by conscience. But from what I see I am sure it bends towards justice -Theodore Parker

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from US Immigration News to the CEHST forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

As I have said before Trump is within his authority to (and should) use defense money along with troops to build the wall which doesn't require Congressional approval. Of course he is too concerned about the politics of doing that which is one of my issues with him. He needs to quit trying to appease the left.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

Filed: Timeline

"risking another government shutdown because of a dispute over immigration policy. "

That's creative mediaism, right there.  What about the previous 17 shutdowns,  what were they caused by?  And, the January shutdown (that lasted three whole days), wasn't about immigration.  Democrats TRIED to get DACA tossed into the mix, but it never was.  

This, combined with data to suggest that illegal immigration is already down, suggests there may be many more cost effective ways to fix our problems than build and maintain a wall.

I've always believed the best way to do it is take away what makes coming into the US ilegally so appealing. I don't mean arrest everyone (obviously arrest those who are criminals, beyond their illegal entry). I say very strongly go after employers who hire illegal immigrants. If they can't get jobs, they won't stick around. 

Edited by bcking

Timeline
17 minutes ago, bcking said:

This, combined with data to suggest that illegal immigration is already down, suggests there may be many more cost effective ways to fix our problems than build and maintain a wall.

I've always believed the best way to do it is take away what makes coming into the US ilegally so appealing. I don't mean arrest everyone (obviously arrest those who are criminals, beyond their illegal entry). I say very strongly go after employers who hire illegal immigrants. If they can't get jobs, they won't stick around. 

We tried to have that discussion about employer violation of Federal law by conspiracy to file false I-9 s , but there was all kinds of pushback discussing the business of the president. 

I cannot calculate the curve and complete the figure by the experience of sight; I can divine it by conscience. But from what I see I am sure it bends towards justice -Theodore Parker

Filed: Timeline
2 hours ago, refugee said:

We tried to have that discussion about employer violation of Federal law by conspiracy to file false I-9 s , but there was all kinds of pushback discussing the business of the president. 

It has been discussed here ad nauseum, as I am sure you recall.  And sadly, there is not much we can do about it.  I think every person who has ever talked about the topic supports the concept.  

Just like gun laws, there are people who choose to break them; ditto employment verification laws, and the people who choose to break those.  Laws are meaningless to the criminals who opt to ignore them.

Edited by Satisfied

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Satisfied said:

It has been discussed here ad nauseum, as I am sure you recall.  And sadly, there is not much we can do about it.  I think every person who has ever talked about the topic supports the concept.  

Just like gun laws, there are people who choose to break them; ditto employment verification laws, and the people who choose to break those.  Laws are meaningless to the criminals who opt to ignore them.

I would not refer to the Trump Organization as a criminal enterprise , although many have

4 hours ago, bcking said:

Illegal immigration is down because everybody is claiming asylum when they are caught by CBP.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

This country already has a trillion dollar debt, why add on to it more with an expensive wall if the numbers of unauthorized aliens are going down?  I'm sure there are better, less expensive ways to protect the border. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

This country already has a trillion dollar debt, why add on to it more with an expensive wall if the numbers of unauthorized aliens are going down?  I'm sure there are better, less expensive ways to protect the border. 

Mexico is paying for the wall

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

Mexico can and should pay for the wall.......Just tax every dollar wired back to Mexico's economy...

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
Just now, Unidentified said:

No, they're not and they shouldn't have to either. 

I can't disagree, it is just that the President insisted, and the president seems to have God-like stature in this forum. 

Just this year the President said "the wall is the wall, it has never changed or evolved from the first day I conceived of it.

Timeline
Just now, missileman said:

Mexico can and should pay for the wall.......Just tax every dollar wired back to Mexico's economy...

Even the bank transfers between multinational corporations? Or will we just pick on the poorest?