refugee

USCIS Is Denying More Employment-Related Immigration Filings This Year

45 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
21 hours ago, Chris Duffy said:

I believe they do outsource, it is not my industry. I have some pretty good buddies in the IT industry and what I know I learn from them.

So basically restricting H1B visas will only raise prices? Shouldn't they be making it easier to bring in employees? Job creators know best after all, or so people keep telling me!

Oct 19, 2010 I-130 application submitted to US Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Oct 22, 2010 I-130 application approved

Oct 22, 2010 packet 3 received via email

Nov 15, 2010 DS-230 part 1 faxed to US Embassy Seoul

Nov 15, 2010 Appointment for visa interview made on-line

Nov 16, 2010 Confirmation of appointment received via email

Dec 13, 2010 Interview date

Dec 15, 2010 CR-1 received via courier

Mar 29, 2011 POE Detroit Michigan

Feb 15, 2012 Change of address via telephone

Jan 10, 2013 I-751 packet mailed to Vermont Service CenterJan 15, 2013 NOA1

Jan 31, 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received

Feb 20, 2013 Biometric appointment date

June 14, 2013 RFE

June 24, 2013 Responded to RFE

July 24, 2013 Removal of conditions approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 minute ago, Póg mo said:

So basically restricting H1B visas will only raise prices? Shouldn't they be making it easier to bring in employees? Job creators know best after all, or so people keep telling me!

Sure, if you restrict supply to cheaper labour and have to pay US Citizens the going rate prices go up.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

23 minutes ago, Póg mo said:

It's not going to raise prices at all in fact and I don't see why you would think that at all. The majority of companies that were using Infosys and another company were going out of their way to skirt the system in order to fire US workers and hire subpar Indian workers.

So if a company is charging $50 an hour for a product from them and the American worker is getting $35 an hour doing that work, then the company earns $15 every hour being billed. But if they are only paying say $20 to that Indian H1b worker then the company earns $30 every hour that is being billed. 

The company Infosys was one of the big companies that was being used to help facilitate bringing in the H1b workers for companies. That way the companies utilizing their services could pay below market value for the IT workers by paying/employing Infosys and not the actual worker. This is one of the biggest ways on how companies were skirting around the system in order to lay off higher paying American workers and switch them out for Indians. 

They got called out on this earlier this year and their ability to do this was severely limited. So they "pledged to hire more Americans" in order to fill the spots that they bid for. The only problem is that they were paying bottom dollar for high paying positions. I will give you an example is that I am in IT primarily as a Information Security Officer ensuring that a company is secure from insider/outsider threats. I saw a position from them here in the RTP area and I applied for and got a interview the next day because my job is always in demand right now. We start doing the interview with a heavily accented Indian woman and it was going good until compensation comes up. She goes on about we are wanting to "start off pay at $22 an hour "  and asking if "that sounds ok with me" at which I laughed out loud and said "that is far below market value and what I am currently being paid right now". So she counters with "24 an hour and that is the highest they can go for this role in a dynamic company". I promptly declined it and never looked at them again. 

If you are in the IT industry like I am then you would see or hear of this happening a fair amount more than what is being reported to the public. 

Edited by Cyberfx1024

Filed: Timeline
5 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

They, the mods, need to update that pinned thread as it does not expressly state the story headline must be copied exactly, and the example linked is not clear either since the news story in the example is no longer available, so no one can tell if the headline matches the linked article.

It seems to be more of an unwritten rule.

Thanks Bill, I thought the thread title rule was in there as well.  My bad.

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
7 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

It's not going to raise prices at all in fact and I don't see why you would think that at all. The majority of companies that were using Infosys and another company were going out of their way to skirt the system in order to fire US workers and hire subpar Indian workers.

So if a company is charging $50 an hour for a product from them and the American worker is getting $35 an hour doing that work, then the company earns $15 every hour being billed. But if they are only paying say $20 to that Indian H1b worker then the company earns $30 every hour that is being billed. 

The company Infosys was one of the big companies that was being used to help facilitate bringing in the H1b workers for companies. That way the companies utilizing their services could pay below market value for the IT workers by paying/employing Infosys and not the actual worker. This is one of the biggest ways on how companies were skirting around the system in order to lay off higher paying American workers and switch them out for Indians. 

They got called out on this earlier this year and their ability to do this was severely limited. So they "pledged to hire more Americans" in order to fill the spots that they bid for. The only problem is that they were paying bottom dollar for high paying positions. I will give you an example is that I am in IT primarily as a Information Security Officer ensuring that a company is secure from insider/outsider threats. I saw a position from them here in the RTP area and I applied for and got a interview the next day because my job is always in demand right now. We start doing the interview with a heavily accented Indian woman and it was going good until compensation comes up. She goes on about we are wanting to "start off pay at $22 an hour "  and asking if "that sounds ok with me" at which I laughed out loud and said "that is far below market value and what I am currently being paid right now". So she counters with "24 an hour and that is the highest they can go for this role in a dynamic company". I promptly declined it and never looked at them again. 

If you are in the IT industry like I am then you would see or hear of this happening a fair amount more than what is being reported to the public. 

I am involved with technology staffing and some of what you are referring to is accurate. You might want to consider the cost of obtaining and supporting the visa as part of the cost. Frequently these contracts have other costs to support temporary workers when they are away from their homes. Also, most of the work is apart of larger scopes if work involving hundreds of workers across continents and not one position /one staff.

At the end if the day, there is more demand for the right skills than supply. There was a shortage during the recession.   You can  imagine what the market is like with 3.5% unemployment.

Bringing temporary visa workers helps get the work done in the customers time zone, possibly on their site and with closer interaction of the business. It delivers better results than 100% offshore contracts and keeps the innovation happening in America. 

If you have a solution for the current shortage if STEM applicants, I am all ears.

I cannot calculate the curve and complete the figure by the experience of sight; I can divine it by conscience. But from what I see I am sure it bends towards justice -Theodore Parker

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
4 hours ago, Satisfied said:

Thanks Bill, I thought the thread title rule was in there as well.  My bad.

In the TOS, Not in the TOS?. Written down , not written down? Cultural norms, up to the person?

Can you guys get back to me once a decision is made?

I cannot calculate the curve and complete the figure by the experience of sight; I can divine it by conscience. But from what I see I am sure it bends towards justice -Theodore Parker

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
19 minutes ago, refugee said:

In the TOS, Not in the TOS?. Written down , not written down? Cultural norms, up to the person?

Can you guys get back to me once a decision is made?

You will have to ask the moderators as we do not make those decisions.  The simple fact is that the moderators use that as an unwritten rule and to avoid scrutiny it is usually a good idea to play along.  Feel free to take that advice or not.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

42 minutes ago, refugee said:

I am involved with technology staffing and some of what you are referring to is accurate. You might want to consider the cost of obtaining and supporting the visa as part of the cost. Frequently these contracts have other costs to support temporary workers when they are away from their homes. Also, most of the work is apart of larger scopes if work involving hundreds of workers across continents and not one position /one staff.

At the end if the day, there is more demand for the right skills than supply. There was a shortage during the recession.   You can  imagine what the market is like with 3.5% unemployment.

Bringing temporary visa workers helps get the work done in the customers time zone, possibly on their site and with closer interaction of the business. It delivers better results than 100% offshore contracts and keeps the innovation happening in America. 

If you have a solution for the current shortage if STEM applicants, I am all ears.

I am well aware of that some of these projects involve hundreds of workers across different continents, trust me I understand this. I have heard from different people that work in private companies that are involved with projects like this where the company on both continents will be involved in a technical or implementation meeting per say and the people on the other side of the world will suddenly drop out of the meeting. This is because they are forced to go to catch the bus/train to go back to where they live with no consideration for those on the other end of the line. 

You are right that there is more of a demand for the RIGHT SKILLS right now than there is a supply of people willing to fill that void. But have you thought about it like this: That there is a demand for those skills because the companies won't take the time to train the actual internal employee on that skill because they want someone to come right in with that skill, or that that company has a demand because they don't want to pay fair market value for that skill level? I have seen it many times where a company is hiring for a Sysadmin spot only for the individual to be hired and then told "well since you are here already can handle you DevOps as well?". This is because the company may only want to spend what a SysAdmin wants while a DevOps individual will pay considerable higher. 

80-90% of time that people are brought in on H1b visas the people are usually from India from some diploma/certification mill. They might have the skills on paper but in reality where rubber meets the road they won't know how to complete the job without it being riddled with errors, and the USC will have to go back through it to fix the mistakes. I have seen this personally and I have heard of this from other people as well so it's not just my take on it. You get enough of a that particular group in a office and it starts having it's on subculture with an actual caste system involved as well. Don't even get me started if a H1b visa holder gets in a supervisory spot because then he will set all other people from his country/caste in a good way for them.

There was not a shortage during the recession so stop lying. There was a shortage of companies willing to hire Americans for the fair market prevailing wage. Trust me on this, before I was IT I was doing Telecommunications work for the Marines and as a Contractor abroad. When I got back from Qatar in 2010 I was trying to find jobs involving IT, Telecommunications, and Electronics in NC so I could stay and be with my kids. I applied for a Telecommunication job installing and wiring a full building up with Telecommunication/IT equipment. That means installing routers, switches, cabling basically doing everything to get it ready. The company was like "This is a great job and we have a great salary for you at $12 an hour", I said no thanks because that is too low, they came back with "How about $14 an hour?". I turned them down and went back overseas working because I am not giving away my time and my life for a peanut salary. 

People are not dumb in regards to what companies are or have been doing the last decade. That is why you see people ghosting job interviews because they are tired of the BS that the company is throwing out with 3-5 interviews for a simple job , the one I have heard lately is a automated phone interview where you are speaking with a machine, set a appointment for a phone interview at 9:30am and the company doesn't call until 10ish with no explanation, or never call at all until a day later. I have ghosted 2 companies myself because they did the last 2 things. I have also seen people have say 3 interviews that are seriously 3+ hours at a time, or having the company bring in a applicant to solve a problem during a job interview, only for them to never call that applicant back. My time is more important to me than having to worry about a company trying to screw with it.

If you have these questions on how to hire the right people then you may not understand how to connect with future employees and what is needed/wanted by them. I suggest going over to Reddit Sysadmin and ask over there how to hire STEM applicants.

Hire American workers at that FAIR MARKET PREVAILING WAGE and don't treat them like #######.

21 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

I am well aware of that some of these projects involve hundreds of workers across different continents, trust me I understand this. I have heard from different people that work in private companies that are involved with projects like this where the company on both continents will be involved in a technical or implementation meeting per say and the people on the other side of the world will suddenly drop out of the meeting. This is because they are forced to go to catch the bus/train to go back to where they live with no consideration for those on the other end of the line. 

You are right that there is more of a demand for the RIGHT SKILLS right now than there is a supply of people willing to fill that void. But have you thought about it like this: That there is a demand for those skills because the companies won't take the time to train the actual internal employee on that skill because they want someone to come right in with that skill, or that that company has a demand because they don't want to pay fair market value for that skill level? I have seen it many times where a company is hiring for a Sysadmin spot only for the individual to be hired and then told "well since you are here already can handle you DevOps as well?". This is because the company may only want to spend what a SysAdmin wants while a DevOps individual will pay considerable higher. 

80-90% of time that people are brought in on H1b visas the people are usually from India from some diploma/certification mill. They might have the skills on paper but in reality where rubber meets the road they won't know how to complete the job without it being riddled with errors, and the USC will have to go back through it to fix the mistakes. I have seen this personally and I have heard of this from other people as well so it's not just my take on it. You get enough of a that particular group in a office and it starts having it's on subculture with an actual caste system involved as well. Don't even get me started if a H1b visa holder gets in a supervisory spot because then he will set all other people from his country/caste in a good way for them.

There was not a shortage during the recession so stop lying. There was a shortage of companies willing to hire Americans for the fair market prevailing wage. Trust me on this, before I was IT I was doing Telecommunications work for the Marines and as a Contractor abroad. When I got back from Qatar in 2010 I was trying to find jobs involving IT, Telecommunications, and Electronics in NC so I could stay and be with my kids. I applied for a Telecommunication job installing and wiring a full building up with Telecommunication/IT equipment. That means installing routers, switches, cabling basically doing everything to get it ready. The company was like "This is a great job and we have a great salary for you at $12 an hour", I said no thanks because that is too low, they came back with "How about $14 an hour?". I turned them down and went back overseas working because I am not giving away my time and my life for a peanut salary. 

People are not dumb in regards to what companies are or have been doing the last decade. That is why you see people ghosting job interviews because they are tired of the BS that the company is throwing out with 3-5 interviews for a simple job , the one I have heard lately is a automated phone interview where you are speaking with a machine, set a appointment for a phone interview at 9:30am and the company doesn't call until 10ish with no explanation, or never call at all until a day later. I have ghosted 2 companies myself because they did the last 2 things. I have also seen people have say 3 interviews that are seriously 3+ hours at a time, or having the company bring in a applicant to solve a problem during a job interview, only for them to never call that applicant back. My time is more important to me than having to worry about a company trying to screw with it.

If you have these questions on how to hire the right people then you may not understand how to connect with future employees and what is needed/wanted by them. I suggest going over to Reddit Sysadmin and ask over there how to hire STEM applicants.

Hire American workers at that FAIR MARKET PREVAILING WAGE and don't treat them like #######.

While generally I agree with everything there I do think on some level you are operating under the assumption that the USC is the "best candidate".

That's not always the case. For the "Indian degree mill" you referenced perhaps it is, but there are also incredibly smart and talented people from India, as well as other countries.

My wife finally got a job here after a year of looking and works in a very local USC based company (oil and gas is her field). Her general impression is that the work is subpar and nothing like the quality of work she would have had to produce in the UK. People also have a lot less responsibility, but are still stressed. She's doing half the work she used to do, with lower quality because people don't care. They are genuinely confused when she tries to show them better ways of doing things. There are redundancies, people just lack knowledge.

Her last team in the UK was composed of herself (UK), a Norwegian, a Trinidadian, an Indian and I think one other British person.

Talent can come from all over the world.

Edited by bcking

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline
12 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

They, the mods, need to update that pinned thread as it does not expressly state the story headline must be copied exactly, and the example linked is not clear either since the news story in the example is no longer available, so no one can tell if the headline matches the linked article.

It seems to be more of an unwritten rule.

Done!

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

3 minutes ago, bcking said:

While generally I agree with everything there I do think on some level you are operating under the assumption that the USC is the "best candidate".

That's not always the case. For the "Indian degree mill" you referenced perhaps it is, but there are also incredibly smart and talented people from India, as well as other countries.

My wife finally got a job here after a year of looking and works in a very local USC based company (oil and gas is her field). Her general impression is that the work is subpar and nothing like the quality of work she would have had to produce in the UK. People also have a lot less responsibility, but are still stressed. She's doing half the work she used to do, with lower quality because people don't care. They are genuinely confused when she tries to show them better ways of doing things. There are redundancies, people just lack knowledge.

Her last team in the UK was composed of herself (UK), a Norwegian, a Trinidadian, an Indian and I think one other British person.

Talent can come from all over the world.

I am not disagreeing with you at all on this about talent comes from all over the world. I know there are incredibly smart and talented people from India, I am not discounting that at all. But what I am saying is that a fair amount of these so called "talented people" have the correct degree/certification but do not have the actual hands on knowledge. This has been my experience is about 70% of the employees brought over on a H1b visa with supposed "great IT skills" are not who they say they are. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

I am not disagreeing with you at all on this about talent comes from all over the world. I know there are incredibly smart and talented people from India, I am not discounting that at all. But what I am saying is that a fair amount of these so called "talented people" have the correct degree/certification but do not have the actual hands on knowledge. This has been my experience is about 70% of the employees brought over on a H1b visa with supposed "great IT skills" are not who they say they are. 

This is one of the things we are seeing in my area right now (not so much related to immigrant workers only) where the auto companies are reducing staff mostly with those that have 12 to 15 years or more experience in favor of the younger workers.  Of course folks retire all the time, but when there is a mass exodus of experienced workers, there is a lot of knowledge and experience lost regardless of how qualified the younger group is.  This is when you expect to see a lot of repeat issues related to execution of projects, etc.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

8 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Ya I imagine it depends on the field.

My wife is in geoscience. It's pretty standard everywhere and people move often. We actually met in Thailand and she was working there.

She just frequently brings up how low the standard is here compared to what she is used to. Granted that's only one company.

8 minutes ago, bcking said:

Ya I imagine it depends on the field.

My wife is in geoscience. It's pretty standard everywhere and people move often. We actually met in Thailand and she was working there.

She just frequently brings up how low the standard is here compared to what she is used to. Granted that's only one company.

I love Geoscience but that is field way outside of my reach. I used to work with a lot of Geophysicists in CA when I worked for the USGS, so of course you pick up on a fair amount knowledge they have. 

Geoscience is a field where both locals and H1b workers are pretty much in sync with the knowledge because everybody works all over the world at some point in time. 

Edited by Cyberfx1024