49 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

Hey everyone, 

K1 approved and Married 11/20/18 and his K1 visa is expired 12-12-18... Do we have to have all of the paperwork for AOS filled and sent in by then? Or is it more lenient because we are married now?

Also do I the petitioner have to submit another affidavit of support for the AOS or can I just submit supporting financial documents? 

Did you make a nice binder/folder to make it presentable? 

Also the medical exam was sent from husbands country to the US embassy, is this something that is accessible on their end? 

THANKS everyone. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
31 minutes ago, Megan and Ehan said:

Hey everyone, 

K1 approved and Married 11/20/18 and his K1 visa is expired 12-12-18... Do we have to have all of the paperwork for AOS filled and sent in by then? Or is it more lenient because we are married now?

Also do I the petitioner have to submit another affidavit of support for the AOS or can I just submit supporting financial documents? 

Also the medical exam was sent from husbands country to the US embassy, is this something that is accessible on their end? 

THANKS everyone. 

You can file whenever you like. Right away or in 10 years but once his visa is expired he technically has no legal status. I think there was a case here where someone didn't file got picked up at an immigration checkpoint and the judge just told them to file and sent her home. You will need an I-864 for the affidavit for f support and they should have his medical already. Package guidelines are basically the same as the 129f as far as assembling goes. No Staples or binders or anything like that just clips at the top will do you.

Edited by ThomasNC1988

3 minutes ago, Megan and Ehan said:

Hey everyone, 

No you do not have to file AOS before your I94 expires. You only have to be married. It's better to file it as soon as possible though because the foreign spouse cannot work or leave the US (and return to the US) without either an approved EAD/AP combo card or their GC. Currently Combo cards are processing at 4 to 6 months while AOS is dependent on your local Field Office. Many FOs are taking 8 months at minimum to 2 years+ max.

Yes. Your K1 will apply for AOS and will be required to have a sponsor. This time the sponsor will fill out I864 instead and be required to meet 125% of the FPGL's rather than 100%. Also this form is actually a legally binding agreement between the sponsor and the government. Should the foreigner become a public charge, the sponsor is legally liable to be responsible for paying back the government. You will need to again provide many of the same supporting financial documents that you did with the I134 however they must be current as this time the emphasis is on CURRENT income. You can take a look at the instructions and forms from USCIS for the I864 to see what supporting documents are required and what your financial commitment will be as a sponsor.

It's the same presentation as the K1. No binders. Only clips and dividers along the bottom of the pages are advised.

Yes, the medical exam that was completed in the foreign country is valid for one year provided all tests were in the clear and all vaccinations were completed then. That means you must apply for AOS within 1 year of the start date of the medical exam and you only need to submit a photocopy the K1's copy of the DS3025 Vaccination Record that the K1 received from their panel physician abroad with the I485 forms. The rest of the medical exam documents were collected at the K1s POE as they were in the sealed envelope and sent to USCIS for the K1s file.

THANKS everyone. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

After the I-94 expires, a person is out of status until the I-485 is filed.  At that time, the person gains authorized stay status while the I-485 is pending......I would advise you to file as soon as you can to avoid being out of status.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

22 minutes ago, Megan and Ehan said:

Hey everyone, 

K1 approved and Married 11/20/18 and his K1 visa is expired 12-12-18...

Do we have to have all of the paperwork for AOS filled and sent in by then?

YES AND SEND IT IN DAYS BEFORE THEN. Even on day 91 is an overstay and will cause you problems. DO NOT wait any longer to file AOS.

Or is it more lenient because we are married now?

No. FILE ASAP

You will need to submit for I-864 and supporting documents with his AOS application. You'll also need to submit EAD application and AP application if you want him to be able to work and travel while he's waiting for his greencard.

Don't do a binder. Simple folders will do. Nothing hole punched. Simple and organized is best. We put the I-485, EAD Application, AP application, Joint Sponsor 1-864, and my I-864 in separate folders and mailed it in one package. 

I'm confused on what stage of the process you are in? Is he in the US? He must be if you married on a K-1. He should have brought the DO NOT OPEN envelope from the embassy with him when he arrived and turned it in at POE.

THANKS everyone. 

BIGGEST ADVICE: READ READ READ the K1 and AOS guides on here. Good luck.

K-1 VISA

I129F Sent: 08/23/2017

NOA 1: 08/25/2017

NOA 2: 02/27/2018

NVC Received: 03/14/2018

NVC Case #: 03/15/2018

NVC Left: 03/24/2018

Embassy Received: 03/28/2018

Medical: 05/08/2018

Interview: 05/15/2018 

Visa issued: 05/18/2018

Visa received: 05/23/2018 

AOS

POE: 06/07/2018

SSN applied: 06/12/2018

SSN received: 06/28/2018

AOS Sent: 07/27/2018

Biometrics: 08/23/2018

Interview: 10/30/2018

Approval: 10/30/2018 

NOA2: 11/05/2018

Green card Received: 11/08/2018

NO MORE USCIS UNTIL ROC!!!!!😁

6 minutes ago, ThomasNC1988 said:

You can file whenever you like. Right away or in 10 years but once his visa is expired he technically has no legal status. I think there was a case here where someone didn't file got picked up at an immigration checkpoint and the judge just told them to file and sent her home. You will need an I-134 for the affidavit for f support and they should have his medical already. Package guidelines are basically the same as the 129f as far as assembling goes. No Staples or binders or anything like that just clips at the top will do you.

*I864 (sorry)

Timeline

Zhang & Associates, P.C.

https://www.hooyou.com/k-1/k-1-restrictions.html  

"Marriage to the U.S. citizen petitioner must occur within 90 days of entering the United States of America in order to apply for an adjustment of status without the need for additional immigration filings. If the marriage and filing for adjustment of status do not occur within 90 days, the K-1 visa holder will be in unlawful status. If the couple still intends to marry after the 90 day requirement, the US citizen spouse must file form I-130 concurrently with the intending immigrant’s adjustment of status application."

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, K & R said:

YES AND SEND IT IN DAYS BEFORE THEN. Even on day 91 is an overstay and will cause you problems. DO NOT wait any longer to file AOS.

Or is it more lenient because we are married now?

No. FILE ASAP

You should probably stop giving advice if you do not know what you all talking about. That is all wrong as posted by everyone else here. Stop fear mongering.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

@missileman, overstay? 

Once the I-485 is filed, the person will not have legal status, but will be granted "authorized stay" while the AOS is pending........technically, a person can be deported between the time his/her I-94 expires and  when he/she files the I-485.

Edited by missileman

1 minute ago, missileman said:

Once the I-485 is filed, the person will not have legal status, but will be granted "authorized stay" while the AOS is pending........

But they would not have overstayed their Visa had they not applied for AOS within the 90 days. They would just be out of status, right?

Timeline
8 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

But they would not have overstayed their Visa had they not applied for AOS within the 90 days. They would just be out of status, right?

When a person enters the US via a K-1 visa, the expiration of the K-1 visa is irrelevant. But they are authorized per their I-94 to remain in the US for 90 days from the date of US entry.  After that 90 days ends, they are overstaying like any other visa holder who stays beyond the expiration of the I-94.  However, once/whenever the I-485 is filed, they are still given "authorized stay" while the I-485 is pending.......If the I-485 is approved, then any Overstay would be "forgiven".

Edited by missileman

Timeline

Some here have even floated the idea of waiting to file AOS to avoid ROC later. As in if your office is taking 18 months to process AOS wait 6 months to file so your GC is approved after your 2 year anniversary. No downside to this except being in that can't do anything phase post I94 expiration pre EAD. Not suggesting that but don't worry about rushing to beat the 90 days.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, ThomasNC1988 said:

Some here have even floated the idea of waiting to file AOS to avoid ROC later. As in if your office is taking 18 months to process AOS wait 6 months to file so your GC is approved after your 2 year anniversary. No downside to this except being in that can't do anything phase post I94 expiration pre EAD. Not suggesting that but don't worry about rushing to beat the 90 days.

From what I understand, being out of status is no piece of cake.........can't drive, can't work, can't re-enter the country, can't open a bank account..........filing for AOS as soon as possible has its advantages......

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.