Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Phil & Han said:

Biometrics fee maybe? $85? 

https://www.uscis.gov/i-485

That's what the OP did - $1140.0 +$85.0. Total is $1225.0

8 minutes ago, A1&R1 said:

Hi

I had similar issue when I applied for AOS few years ago and they returned by application. It was tough to know the reason they returned it. Did you apply for employment authorization?

In my case I had put a wrong eligibility category on the I-765 form. EAD is free if you apply with AOS and that is eligibility category C 9.

If you pick any other code , you have to submit payment for it  and if they do not find the payment, they might return your application.

Good luck

Yes, I did apply for employment authorisation. I’m not sure what the eligibility category is - as in I don’t think I even recall coming across that when filling the form out. Do you think that could possibly be where the error lies?

1 minute ago, Ksenia_O said:

That's what the OP did - $1140.0 +$85.0. Total is $1225.0

We did 2 checks with a memo in each saying "biometrics" & "I485 application", may be worth doing 2 when resubmitting. Just a suggestion. Best of luck

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Oli R said:

Yes, I did apply for employment authorisation. I’m not sure what the eligibility category is - as in I don’t think I even recall coming across that when filling the form out. Do you think that could possibly be where the error lies?

That is line item 27 on the 765 form. what did you put there?

Here is a list of all the documents I submitted along with my I-485, in order:

Form G-1145

Payment

Form I-485

Passport style photos of myself

Copy of my passport, biographical page and entry stamp

Copy of K1 visa from my passport

Copy of NOA2 approval

Form G325-A

Electronic I-94 copy

Copy of my birth certificate

Certified copy of marriage certificate

Form I-693 medical examination

Form I-763 employment authorisation

Form I-131 travel document

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Phil & Han said:

We did 2 checks with a memo in each saying "biometrics" & "I485 application", may be worth doing 2 when resubmitting. Just a suggestion. Best of luck

Thank you :)

The number of checks shouldn't be an issue. We sent one check for AOS, and one - for ROC. Have never had any troubles. 

The main thing is the exact dollar amount of the fees for requested services.

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/paying-uscis-fees

As an example - just one  check is presented on USCIS website , with detailed description in a memo, "Type of application and bio metric fee". 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Oli R said:

Sorry, what do you mean in the memo? I scanned everything so can double check

You see "memo"? This one is not the best google example :) - I believe it should say N-400(I-485 in your case)  and biometric fee. But anyway, you see now what's meant as a memo

Image result for check to USCIS sample

Edited by Ksenia_O

46 minutes ago, Oli R said:

Here is a list of all the documents I submitted along with my I-485, in order:

Form G-1145

Payment

Form I-485

Passport style photos of myself

Copy of my passport, biographical page and entry stamp

Copy of K1 visa from my passport

Copy of NOA2 approval

Form G325-A

Electronic I-94 copy

Copy of my birth certificate

Certified copy of marriage certificate

Form I-693 medical examination

Form I-763 employment authorisation  I-765*

Form I-131 travel document

I understand why you posted your list, but I would note that it is outdated so it's not useful in the OP's situation (Edit: nvm, they are the OP). It also sounds like you had to do another medical or something, which shouldn't apply to the OP if they file within 1 year of the medical for the K-1.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
4 minutes ago, geowrian said:

I understand why you posted your list, but I would note that it is outdated so it's not useful in the OP's situation. It also sounds like you had to do another medical or something, which shouldn't apply to the OP if they file within 1 year of the medical for the K-1.

Oli R is the OP .. I believe :)

20 minutes ago, Ksenia_O said:

Oli R is the OP .. I believe :)

Ah...my bad!!! :P

Then they may have been following an old guide? The G-325A is no longer needed, nor would the medical exam unless it has been over a year. Maybe they used old forms as well, which can trigger a rejection with the generic reason stated.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

41 minutes ago, Ksenia_O said:

You see "memo"? This one is not the best google example :) - I believe it should say N-400(I-485 in your case)  and biometric fee. But anyway, you see now what's meant as a memo

Image result for check to USCIS sample

No worries, thanks for the explanation. I just had a quick look at the cheque - my partner signed her name on that line. I understand that’s not correct, but it wouldn’t invalidate the payment, would it?!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.