Dashinka

South Carolina woman kills escaped jail inmate who kicked down her door, sheriff says

73 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, bcking said:

How do we balance these sorts of events (which I agree, happy ending for me as well) with the other end?

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/indiana/articles/2018-12-04/indiana-girl-dies-after-accidental-shooting-by-brother-3

At the very least when you have young children, there is a very real serious risk of accidental death for your children. 

I'm not sure how we get the best of both worlds? Maybe with technology? Finger-print locking guns? Don't those exist, or am I thinking of James Bond?

If a kid get's a hold of a parent's firearm because it was left lying around, hold the adult owner accountable for what ever happens, to the fullest extent of the law. I don't know that you can do much more than that. 

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

1 hour ago, Steeleballz said:

If a kid get's a hold of a parent's firearm because it was left lying around, hold the adult owner accountable for what ever happens, to the fullest extent of the law. I don't know that you can do much more than that. 

Good point, though I'd go a step further.

Unless the gun was properly stored (in a safe, unloaded, ammunition in a different location), hold the parent accountable 100%. Gun doesn't have to be "lying around". The loaded gun "hidden" under a book in a drawer (or some similar silly hiding place) is also an accident waiting to happen.

If people want to rely on education and take the risk, that's fine. They already risk their children's life. Perhaps if they are risking their own future they may take it more seriously? The responsible, safety-conscious gun owners (like everyone on this forum) would be only minimally impacted.

9 hours ago, bcking said:

How do we balance these sorts of events (which I agree, happy ending for me as well) with the other end?

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/indiana/articles/2018-12-04/indiana-girl-dies-after-accidental-shooting-by-brother-3

At the very least when you have young children, there is a very real serious risk of accidental death for your children. 

I'm not sure how we get the best of both worlds? Maybe with technology? Finger-print locking guns? Don't those exist, or am I thinking of James Bond?

You don't.  It's two very different things. 

15 minutes ago, The Nature Boy said:

You don't.  It's two very different things. 

Well they are closely connected...but sure whatever you want to think. You be you.

Edited by bcking

52 minutes ago, bcking said:

Well they are closely connected...but sure whatever you want to think. You be you.

Well drunk driving and driving your family to church on Sunday, both involve a car..but yet no need to try and balance the two. One is a crime one is not 

11 minutes ago, The Nature Boy said:

Well drunk driving and driving your family to church on Sunday, both involve a car..but yet no need to try and balance the two. One is a crime one is not 

The connection there is safe driving. Seatbelts should be work in both situations.

There are clear obvious connections between gun ownership, safe gun storage, home protection and accidental youth firearm related injuries. If you can't see them you are either intentionally denying it or your head is in the sand.

27 minutes ago, bcking said:

The connection there is safe driving. Seatbelts should be work in both situations.

There are clear obvious connections between gun ownership, safe gun storage, home protection and accidental youth firearm related injuries. If you can't see them you are either intentionally denying it or your head is in the sand.

There is also a obvious connection between owning a garage and using it to commit suicide by closing the door and running your automobile. 

Yet we dont restrict garage ownersship becuase of the actions of a tiny tiny fraction of garage owners. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Oct 19, 2010 I-130 application submitted to US Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Oct 22, 2010 I-130 application approved

Oct 22, 2010 packet 3 received via email

Nov 15, 2010 DS-230 part 1 faxed to US Embassy Seoul

Nov 15, 2010 Appointment for visa interview made on-line

Nov 16, 2010 Confirmation of appointment received via email

Dec 13, 2010 Interview date

Dec 15, 2010 CR-1 received via courier

Mar 29, 2011 POE Detroit Michigan

Feb 15, 2012 Change of address via telephone

Jan 10, 2013 I-751 packet mailed to Vermont Service CenterJan 15, 2013 NOA1

Jan 31, 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received

Feb 20, 2013 Biometric appointment date

June 14, 2013 RFE

June 24, 2013 Responded to RFE

July 24, 2013 Removal of conditions approved

3 hours ago, bcking said:

Good point, though I'd go a step further.

Unless the gun was properly stored (in a safe, unloaded, ammunition in a different location), hold the parent accountable 100%. Gun doesn't have to be "lying around". The loaded gun "hidden" under a book in a drawer (or some similar silly hiding place) is also an accident waiting to happen.

If people want to rely on education and take the risk, that's fine. They already risk their children's life. Perhaps if they are risking their own future they may take it more seriously? The responsible, safety-conscious gun owners (like everyone on this forum) would be only minimally impacted.

4 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

See the key is to ensure to teach your children firearm safety. This will eliminate almost every single "accident" there is. I have taught my 3 old children all about firearm safety from the 5 year old up to the 12 year old, it also helps that my 2 older children have rednecks for their mom's side of the family. My son actually shot his first buck(a nice 6 pointer) a couple weeks ago. 

1 hour ago, The Nature Boy said:

There is also a obvious connection between owning a garage and using it to commit suicide by closing the door and running your automobile. 

Yet we dont restrict garage ownersship becuase of the actions of a tiny tiny fraction of garage owners. 

You're not improving your case here. Hope the sand isn't too irritating on your face.

41 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

See the key is to ensure to teach your children firearm safety. This will eliminate almost every single "accident" there is. I have taught my 3 old children all about firearm safety from the 5 year old up to the 12 year old, it also helps that my 2 older children have rednecks for their mom's side of the family. My son actually shot his first buck(a nice 6 pointer) a couple weeks ago. 

I'm glad you feel that works for you. I worry that it wouldn't for every 6 year old...based on my experience studying childhood development. It just doesn't bode well.

Edited by bcking

1 hour ago, bcking said:

You're not improving your case here. Hope the sand isn't too irritating on your face.

I'm glad you feel that works for you. I worry that it wouldn't for every 6 year old...based on my experience studying childhood development. It just doesn't bode well.

The sand on my face is not as smelly as the place some have their head buried. 

38 minutes ago, The Nature Boy said:

The sand on my face is not as smelly as the place some have their head buried. 

Sorry I just don't have the energy nor time to be wasted on trying to have a "discussion" on a topic with you. 

There are several people here who I disagree with, but I enjoy conservation and discussion with. I mean no personal offense, you just aren't on the list.

I'm trying to end it in the most respectful way possible. I tip my hat to you.

Edited by bcking

3 minutes ago, bcking said:

Sorry I just don't have the energy nor time to be wasted on trying to have a "discussion" on a topic with you. 

There are several people here who I disagree with, but I enjoy conservation and discussion with. I mean no personal offense, you just aren't on the list.

I'm trying to end it in the most respectful way possible. I tip my hat to you.

So it was cool when you implied I had my head buried, but when I did the same , you get holier than thou. Kind of hypocritical dont you think.Imean no personal offense by the way 

Btw if you really wanted to end, you would not have replied.

2 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

I agree with safety, but I still wouldn't think you would want a 3 year old to be the one who finds a gun lying around somewhere. Even talking about safety at that age is helpful, but whether or not it's something they would be able to apply in a real situation IDK. I think the best case scenario is not to ever find that out. 

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

24 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

I agree with safety, but I still wouldn't think you would want a 3 year old to be the one who finds a gun lying around somewhere. Even talking about safety at that age is helpful, but whether or not it's something they would be able to apply in a real situation IDK. I think the best case scenario is not to ever find that out. 

Makes me wonder if people actually have children. Relying solely on education for a child to keep them safe from a firearm? I worry for those children.

26 minutes ago, The Nature Boy said:

So it was cool when you implied I had my head buried, but when I did the same , you get holier than thou. Kind of hypocritical dont you think.Imean no personal offense by the way 

Btw if you really wanted to end, you would not have replied.

It was more the fact that you doubled down and I realized I've been down this road before and it's a waste of time. I'm certainly not holy. Just trying to not waste my time with nonsense.

I'm also not perfect, so I do still occasionally reply despite my best intentions.

Edited by bcking