brunt11

Driving License

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

To drive in California do I physically need to retake a driving test or is there a way I can just have my UK license converted over etc? 

(im in process of residency, I have permission to work but haven't had my interview yet)

Filed: L-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
5 minutes ago, brunt11 said:

To drive in California do I physically need to retake a driving test or is there a way I can just have my UK license converted over etc? 

(im in process of residency, I have permission to work but haven't had my interview yet)

No way of converting them for UK license holders unfortunately - you need to take the written test and the driving test itself at the DMV.

There's no separate test for manual / auto either, so if you pass your test in an Auto you can still drive a manual 

Timeline
18 minutes ago, GS23 said:

No way of converting them for UK license holders unfortunately - you need to take the written test and the driving test itself at the DMV.

There's no separate test for manual / auto either, so if you pass your test in an Auto you can still drive a manual 

thanks for your response.

so by that does that mean I can take my test in manual and then drive automatic too?

also do I physically need a greed card to get my permit or can I use my EAD?

10 minutes ago, brunt11 said:

so by that does that mean I can take my test in manual and then drive automatic too?

You can use your EAD. Yes, you can take your driving test in a manual car and drive a automatic. There is no distinction

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
29 minutes ago, brunt11 said:

Read all the requirements from the official website https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffdl07

1 hour ago, brunt11 said:

do I physically need a greed card to get my permit or can I use my EAD?

From https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffdl32/

• The expiration date will match the EAD expiration date
  • It will say "LIMITED-TERM" in between CLASS and END (Endorsements).
  • The last 2 digits of the DD (Document Discriminator) code will be "23", as in the year 2023*. *If you pay the license fee in 2018, the fee will be valid until your birthday in the year 2023. So no need to pay any fees when you renew the limited-term license.

1 hour ago, brunt11 said:

Yes you can. An appointment to start the process is not required, just recommended. There are 62 offices that will be open on Saturdays December 8 and 15: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/fo/fo_sat_offices/ You can save some time by filling out the application online: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/forms/dl/dl44

Edited by HU87

Timeline

Thanks for all the answers you wonderful people.

i apologise if my questions seem stupid. It's alien to me.

i registered online to get my permit it now says I have to go the DMV is that just so they can approve me or is that actually the written test as well? 

20 minutes ago, brunt11 said:

i registered online to get my permit it now says I have to go the DMV is that just so they can approve me or is that actually the written test as well? 

You have to go in person to pay the $35 fee: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffdl07 For this part an appointment is recommended. Walk-ins are accepted at DLPCs: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/fo/driver_license_processing_centers If you wish, you can take your first attempt at the Knowledge Test on the Touchscreen right after paying the initial $35 fee. When you pass the Knowledge Test you can schedule a behind-the-wheel driving test appointment. Behind-the-wheel retests cost $7 and require a new appointment: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/dl/fees/driverlicense_fees

Edited by HU87

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, brunt11 said:

registered online to get my permit it now says I have to go the DMV is that just so they can approve me or is that actually the written test as well? 

They have to see all documentation in person...EAD, SSN, proof of address,etc. Check their list so you don't show up, wait in line, then get sent home. 

Also - the States are all different but most American driving tests are nowhere near as hard as the UK one. In Virginia I just had to drive around the block and straight back into the DMV - I thought I'd failed it was over so quickly. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
9 hours ago, databit said:

Tip: if you take the test with a manual transmission, after you change gears, bring your hand back up to the steering wheel! Do NOT let your hand rest on the gearshift knob between gear changes! 

And stop completely at the STOP sign. Don't let it roll. Also if you need to park downhill check somewhere which gear you should put the car in if it's a manual. After I did the downhill parking I put the car in 1st gear and the guy was not that pleased, he was expecting me to put it in revers I assume since he asked me if that's how I learned because he learned that if parking downhill you should put it in reverse..... :D Anyway I still passed, but might be slight differences what you know and what they expect.

As others also mentioned you need to retake all the tests to get a USA license, you can't just exchange it.... But since you are already driving it should be a breeze to pass.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Trellick said:

Also - the States are all different but most American driving tests are nowhere near as hard as the UK one. In Virginia I just had to drive around the block and straight back into the DMV - I thought I'd failed it was over so quickly. 

Good for you :) Here in Missouri I did the whole nine yard:))) (Parallel parking, parking downhill, backing up in straight line, instruments cluster knowledge)

11 hours ago, databit said:

Tip: if you take the test with a manual transmission, after you change gears, bring your hand back up to the steering wheel! Do NOT let your hand rest on the gearshift knob between gear changes! 

You should do this anyhow.  Its bad for your clutch to keep your hand on the gearshift.  

When you stop you should go out of gear too. The least amout of time you spend fiddling with the clutch and putting pressure on it unnecessarily the longer your clutch will last.  :)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.