LoriJamsPatchett

HELP!! Fiancé in Algeria Work Visa or K1 faster

58 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, debbiedoo said:

because now you need the legal part of it. it is a case (and happens ALL the time) of being too married for a k1 and not married enough for a CR1.

i dont know why youve been all over news and facebook with it, nor do i care, but you have done so so many things that are BAD BAD for a visa. You really need to research a LOT more, you will need to get legally married now, and file the CR1.

I was not trying to be all over the news BUT my ex’s family called the news on me because they were “so scared and worried for my life” I thought it better I do the interviews than let them spin the story in a worse way.  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
3 minutes ago, LoriJamsPatchett said:

I was not trying to be all over the news BUT my ex’s family called the news on me because they were “so scared and worried for my life” I thought it better I do the interviews than let them spin the story in a worse way.  

that definitely wont work in your favor.

more visits and a legal marriage are in order.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

3 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

that definitely wont work in your favor.

more visits and a legal marriage are in order.

Yeah I was actually worried about the fact that they also said they called Homeland and told them he’s a possible K1 scammer 😡 I’m so mad at them. They knew nothing but decided to screw with my life.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, LoriJamsPatchett said:

Yeah I was actually worried about the fact that they also said they called Homeland and told them he’s a possible K1 scammer 😡 I’m so mad at them. They knew nothing but decided to screw with my life.

Your fiance is from a high fraud country. You have 4 children and have only met once. I assume these children are a part of their father and his families lives.

I would also be concerned.

I have one child and no WAY would I bring someone here that i had met only once to live with us. And if my ex were alive and he tried to do so, you BET i'd be highly concerned and VERY involved.

I'm really not making any judgement but their concerns are very valid, even if they didn't go about it the right way, necessarily.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

ROC

2 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

Your fiance is from a high fraud country. You have 4 children and have only met once. I assume these children are a part of their father and his families lives.

I would also be concerned.

I have one child and no WAY would I bring someone here that i had met only once to live with us. And if my ex were alive and he tried to do so, you BET i'd be highly concerned and VERY involved.

I'm really not making any judgement but their concerns are very valid, even if they didn't go about it the right way, necessarily.

I understand completely the concern but the way they went about it was not ok. I’ve never brought men around my kids because I don’t want men in and out of their lives. But from day 1 The first month I have FaceTimed with him 4-6 hours a day straight. I really got to know him. We talked about deep things not favorite colors and stupid things like that. We never missed a day talking. Every day is FaceTime when not FaceTiming we text. I have joint custody with my older kids dad and the thing that makes me mad is he always rushes moving in with his GF’s but that’s ok.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, LoriJamsPatchett said:

I understand completely the concern but the way they went about it was not ok. I’ve never brought men around my kids because I don’t want men in and out of their lives. But from day 1 The first month I have FaceTimed with him 4-6 hours a day straight. I really got to know him. We talked about deep things not favorite colors and stupid things like that. We never missed a day talking. Every day is FaceTime when not FaceTiming we text. I have joint custody with my older kids dad and the thing that makes me mad is he always rushes moving in with his GF’s but that’s ok.

facetiming is not the same as being together IN PERSON.

please be very very careful and do not rush into anything.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

ROC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The old adage of a marathon not a sprint, few more visits, marriage maybe, so going to be a couple of years.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 hours ago, LoriJamsPatchett said:

By joint custody I'm assuming you mean you have the kids most the time and they visit their dad on the weekends and summer. The dad changing his life around when he realistically has less time and impact with the kids is just that, less impactful. My ex can do what he wants, my daughters with me 90% of the week. If he makes any life choices that will truly impact her then I'll say something, but if he moves in with a girlfriend, as long as the girlfriend is kind and allows my daughter to visit her house to see her dad then I'm fine.

My ex never once said anything about my husband, they actually have talked before and we didn't jump into marriage because we wanted to do what was right for my daughter, make a good transition.

My husband is from a low fraud country and I didn't even let him meet my daughter on his first visit in 2013 and we had been friends online and he had seen pictures of her and seen her on Skype since we had been friends in 2010.

Also as others have said, you are going to have to go get married officially now.

How long have you guys been talking because you made a 2 week trip to get engaged?

Note that immigration assumes if you don't have the time or money to visit and be together physically to build your relationship, then you don't have the time and money to immigrate or have a stable relationship.

I agree that this should be a couple of year process

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

7 minutes ago, Ash.1101 said:

By joint custody I'm assuming you mean you have the kids most the time and they visit their dad on the weekends and summer. The dad changing his life around when he realistically has less time and impact with the kids is just that, less impactful. My ex can do what he wants, my daughters with me 90% of the week. If he makes any life choices that will truly impact her then I'll say something, but if he moves in with a girlfriend, as long as the girlfriend is kind and allows my daughter to visit her house to see her dad then I'm fine.

My ex never once said anything about my husband, they actually have talked before and we didn't jump into marriage because we wanted to do what was right for my daughter, make a good transition.

My husband is from a low fraud country and I didn't even let him meet my daughter on his first visit in 2013 and we had been friends online and he had seen pictures of her and seen her on Skype since we had been friends in 2010.

Also as others have said, you are going to have to go get married officially now.

How long have you guys been talking because you made a 2 week trip to get engaged?

Note that immigration assumes if you don't have the time or money to visit and be together physically to build your relationship, then you don't have the time and money to immigrate or have a stable relationship.

I agree that this should be a couple of year process

No joint as in actually joint. Every other weekend and couple days during the week. Your situation was different though because he could actually come visit you. We started talking in July.  Once he arrive he has a good job waiting for him. It’s just the matter of him getting here. Some people like to wait years to marry and still relationships fail.

Timeline

Has he tried to get a visitor visa?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

11 minutes ago, LoriJamsPatchett said:

No joint as in actually joint. Every other weekend and couple days during the week. Your situation was different though because he could actually come visit you. We started talking in July.  Once he arrive he has a good job waiting for him. It’s just the matter of him getting here. Some people like to wait years to marry and still relationships fail.

This is true but we also still weren't ever rushing our relationship. Even when we first started talking, when we "established the rules of the relationship" per se, we agreed to date for at least 2-3 years.

A lot of the time when these LDR relationships fail, it's when they haven't actually spent enough time together,  they treated their time together as a vacation, they never actually got to visit the house they were moving into and/or never actually -lived- together and then living together and actually having to be around each other full time becomes an issue.

With the time line of starting to talk in July of this year, and becoming engaged 5 months later and only meeting during that time of engagement....

You will definitely need to see each other more in person and get married formally (due to the religious ceremony). 

Is there a reason he can't apply for a visitor visa and visit you?

Your process will easily be at least a couple of year process, not only for the CR-1 (spousal visa) processing time, but just to make the proof you need to prove your a real marriage.

Please remember that immigration is all about paper proof, physical proof, and they don't really care about feelings or tough situations.

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Like everyone has already mentioned, CR1 is your only route forward now. This is actually better for your situation anyway, since it sounds like working right away is important to him. With the K1 visa, there would have been at least a 3-4 month wait before he could start working legally. The work visa is unlikely to happen. Has your friend met your fiancé? Why are they so willing to hire someone who they have never met, and they could easily find similar employees in the US, at a fraction of the cost?

Go for more visits, get legally married, and get to know him better while also building up relationship evidence. Nothing is quick or easy in the world of immigration, but with patience and a good understanding of the process, you'll be together eventually. Good luck on your CR1 journey. 

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

Timeline

The couple met on an international dating website in July and within weeks proposed marriage.

xxxx put a ring on xxxxx finger two days into her two-week trip to Algeria.

Couple of more issues.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.