LoriJamsPatchett

HELP!! Fiancé in Algeria Work Visa or K1 faster

58 posts in this topic

Ok I’m so new at this and I want my fiancé over here the fastest and cheapest way possible. I’m thinking getting him here on a work visa might be fastest. He has a degree or something as a plumber and my friend can and is willing to apply for the work visa for him. I just don’t know which type is our best bet? He does not have a bachelors degree or anything so I don’t know if that matters. But anyways than once he’s here we plan to marry and then go from there. Any advice on work visas, total price, time frame and such would be awesome   

work visas are quite complicated to get - he needs a job, the job needs to get certification that it's impossible to hire a US citizen, etc.

As it is your plan to get married, a fiance or spousal visa is more appropriate - since that's also the goal of his coming here. Read up on the process here: https://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1faq.htm/

It's not fast nor cheap... And him being from Algeria is also a complicating factor.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

work visa wont work.

there are plenty of american plumbers your friend could hire. dime a dozen.

work visas are limited to a very finite pool of possibilities.

also, from one skilled tradesman's 'almost wife' to another ... learn the terminology. ;)

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

If he gets a work visa with an intent to immigrate, it’s straight up fraud.  Take it off the table.  People paint themselves into a corner if they start off misrepresenting their intent.

Edited by bakphx1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Also really research Algeria abut a K1 and see if that's your best move. Many of the MENA countries K1's are deleted at a higher rate. Especially if the couple have red flags.

Also a plumber isn't an occupation that would ever get a work visa.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline
10 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

there is nothing about any of this process that is fast, cheap or easy. reconcile that fact now or youll be miserable the next 1-3 years.

Definitely take your time to understand what you’re getting into.  It’s a huge deal with big ramifications for both your lives.  Trying to rush it or beat the system will cause trouble down the road.

The first thing to keep in mind is starting from day one, what you say, file and document are set in stone in the immigration file and are very thoroughly reviewed.  

That said, the most useful visa is the CR1. Its a little slower, but the immigrant arrives with a work permit and Social Security comes quickly.  All the time saved in visa processing is offset by having someone bored, unable to work or drive for up to six months.  The thought “I don’t care.  We just want to be together!”  Gives way to “oh my God, this is difficult “ after a few weeks the immigrant feels like he/she is under house arrest and the spouse must support both. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
48 minutes ago, LoriJamsPatchett said:

Yikes I didn’t think about that. Was just trying to get him here fast

Immigration is not fast for law abiding people.....I would suggest you evaluate the advantages of both a K-1 and a CR-1.  Please be aware that the difference in processing time between the fiance visa and the spousal visa is only about 3 months in most cases....

K-1

More expensive than CR-1    
Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 5-6 months)    
Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 5-6 months)    
Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.

CR-1    
Less expensive than K-1    
No Adjustment of Status  (I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.
Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US. 

My Final Analysis:  If you can marry your fiance in his/her country or outside the US, CR-1 is a much, much better option

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 hour ago, LoriJamsPatchett said:

Yikes I didn’t think about that. Was just trying to get him here fast

Yeah, fast and immigration don’t exist in the same sentence unless you include not 😆

As mentioned above you need to think if a fiancé visa is even a good idea if you have red flags and Algeria, we have seen lots denied especially if the following is also true

US citizen (female) is older 

US citizen (female) already has kids/divorced (especially if age would make it unusual to have more)

Only one or two visits that are short

Proposal very fast after first contact or marriage on first visit if spousal visa

The reason is that it’s not a societal norm for the beneficiaries country to marry an older woman who already has kids or is divorced especially if there is a chance that more children can’t be had - lots of pressure on guys to have their own biological children so to go into a relationship knowing this is unlikely or impossible is not the norm and would in most cases cause issues with his family. 

With a fiance visa if its denied it is typically just sent back to die off but with a spousal visa there is a chance it can be reaffirmed. 

If all else fails could you move there? Have you discussed that possibility with him? 

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

2 minutes ago, Illiria said:

Yeah, fast and immigration don’t exist in the same sentence unless you include not 😆

As mentioned above you need to think if a fiancé visa is even a good idea if you have red flags and Algeria, we have seen lots denied especially if the following is also true

US citizen (female) is older 

US citizen (female) already has kids/divorced (especially if age would make it unusual to have more)

Only one or two visits that are short

Proposal very fast after first contact or marriage on first visit if spousal visa

The reason is that it’s not a societal norm for the beneficiaries country to marry an older woman who already has kids or is divorced especially if there is a chance that more children can’t be had - lots of pressure on guys to have their own biological children so to go into a relationship knowing this is unlikely or impossible is not the norm and would in most cases cause issues with his family. 

With a fiance visa if its denied it is typically just sent back to die off but with a spousal visa there is a chance it can be reaffirmed. 

If all else fails could you move there? Have you discussed that possibility with him? 

Ugh I know but it’s killing us and we’ve only been apart a week 😂 

I’m 37 and he’s 32, I can still have kids but yes divorced with 4.

Just got back from a 2 week trip and engagement.

Our situation is a little different than most. We both have been in the news about this and I’m all over facebook too lol So lots of people know about our relationship. That’s why I was thinking all that would help approve the K1.

Yes we have discussed and he would love me to BUT I have kids and I just can’t move there and leave my 17,16,13 year old here 😞

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
33 minutes ago, missileman said:

Immigration is not fast for law abiding people.....I would suggest you evaluate the advantages of both a K-1 and a CR-1.  Please be aware that the difference in processing time between the fiance visa and the spousal visa is only about 3 months in most cases....

K-1

More expensive than CR-1    
Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 5-6 months)    
Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 5-6 months)    
Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.

CR-1    
Less expensive than K-1    
No Adjustment of Status  (I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.
Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US. 

My Final Analysis:  If you can marry your fiance in his/her country or outside the US, CR-1 is a much, much better option

This is an excellent comparison of the CR1 and K1.

If I may, I would like to add one more thing to the expense of the K1.....my French speaking Algerian husband recently went through AOS and I insisted we have an interpreter accompany us to the interview (I’m in Arkansas.....not easily found here). 

It would have been a non issue if we had done the CR1.

It's not fraud for immigrant intent if the work visa is an H-1B, L class, or O-1 visa.

That said, O-1 is pretty much off the table.

L doesn't seem to fit his line of work.

H-1B is a lottery and won't be open again until next year. His line of work also doesn't seem to fit either, and he would need a bachelor's degree.

All of the above are also quite not cheap (thousands of $s) and the bulk of the work would be on the hiring company's attorney without any guarantee of success. H-1B requires the labor certification as well.

Seems like K-1 or CR-1 would be the practical option.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

have to add to all of the above few businesses can afford the lawyer for a work related  visa

and it is a slow process 

CR1 as u have met in person

and it was smart not to marry on the 1st trip

u need to read the portal for Algeria and embassy interviews

and the web page is a good place to check requirements to marry in algeria

https://dz.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/marriage-in-algeria/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
3 hours ago, LoriJamsPatchett said:

Ugh I know but it’s killing us and we’ve only been apart a week 😂 

I’m 37 and he’s 32, I can still have kids but yes divorced with 4.

Just got back from a 2 week trip and engagement.

Our situation is a little different than most. We both have been in the news about this and I’m all over facebook too lol So lots of people know about our relationship. That’s why I was thinking all that would help approve the K1.

Yes we have discussed and he would love me to BUT I have kids and I just can’t move there and leave my 17,16,13 year old here 😞

I watched the news coverage. Exactly what kind of “engagement” did you have? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.