Dashinka

Harvard grad student told to move out after roommates find her legally owned firearms 'uncomfortable'

87 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, jg121783 said:

"When I asked them why they were in my room to begin with, they each came up with completely contradicting stories (none of which made any sense), but one comment struck me in particular: ‘We saw that you had a MAGA hat and, come on, you're from Alabama… so we just kind of assumed that you had something,'” she said.

“I asked why they didn't just call me and ask me before intruding. One of the girls responded that fear took over her body and she felt compelled to search my room until she found proof. … I cannot make this up.”

If that's not mental illness I don't know what is.

Having worked in the mental health field years ago, I would agree - you are probably not qualified to assess mental illness. My earlier point stands though, it's not something you should even attempt to do so from a one sided news article and from statements which you can't even verify. 

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

2 hours ago, jg121783 said:

So fearing someone because of a hat they wear and where they are from to the point you are willing to violate their privacy and rummage through their private property is not mental illness?

No it is not.

As was said before...you don't know what mental illness is.

2 hours ago, Randyandyuni said:

if he doesn't agree I would. I don't think it's a mental illness.

I do however believe it's narcissistic of the roommates to have acted in such a manner without discussion. Vigilantes act on supposition not alleged educated students. 

If I found a BLM hat or Gay Pride hat, would I be entitled to such behavior as the roommates demonstrated? If it had been anything but gun rights, the left would be up in arms over the transgression. Make it an illegal alien, ethnic minority, a religious minority then it becomes a crusade. By all accounts she had done nothing illegal but was violated by using profiling tactics

That's not narcissistic. Paranoid perhaps? But not narcissistic. 

Paranoia is not always a mental illness.

2 hours ago, Randyandyuni said:

if he doesn't agree I would. I don't think it's a mental illness.

I do however believe it's narcissistic of the roommates to have acted in such a manner without discussion. Vigilantes act on supposition not alleged educated students. 

If I found a BLM hat or Gay Pride hat, would I be entitled to such behavior as the roommates demonstrated? If it had been anything but gun rights, the left would be up in arms over the transgression. Make it an illegal alien, ethnic minority, a religious minority then it becomes a crusade. By all accounts she had done nothing illegal but was violated by using profiling tactics

Obviously the other roommates should not have been in her room, and again, if there are legal repercussions for that they deserve it.  While we have a right to own firearms, you cannot force other people to be in that situation if they don't want to be around them. 

Instead of guns, imagine she had a hive of killer bees in her room. Which incidentally, is also perfectly legal. Do you think the other roommates would have to stay there. There is a difference between exercising your rights on your own private property, and between living in a co-tenant relationship.

The landlord could have said "tough luck, you signed a lease figure out a solution", but he did not. Ultimately there was a resolution, and one person or the other group will be allowed out of the lease, or the firearms can be stored unloaded and secured and everyone can stay.  

Probably 6 months left on the leases. Seems like they all have workable options and a life lesson. 

21 minutes ago, Randyandyuni said:

believing my rights are more important than your rights is narcissistic. 

No it's not...not to mention that isn't even what the roommates said or thought. That was your own interpretation of their reasoning. That's a no no if you want to try pretending to be a psychologist or psychiatrist.

People need to stop assuming they understand things they don't. Stick to what you know.

Edited by bcking

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Hopefully we can all agree that their behaviour is not normal and hope they obtain the help they need to address their issues whatever technical term you use to describe them.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I don't remember claiming to be anything other than a poster, feel free to clarify what I meant ... you speak with what authority?

Ignoring personal boundaries because you feel entitled to is narcissistic behavior

3 hours ago, spookyturtle said:

Then using your rationale,  blaming the Left, the Democrats, Obama and Hillary for everything would also qualify. 

Apple's and oranges. If you had a group of 5 republicans renting a house with a Democrat and the republicans got triggered by an Obama shirt or something like that and decided to go through the personal belongings of the Democrat THAT would be the same thing.

3 hours ago, Boiler said:

Obviously they need professional help, I would not want to diagnose, but breaking into someones property because of their hat and where they are from suggests serious issues.

Could you clarify which Hillary, we are up to 4.0.

54 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

Having worked in the mental health field years ago, I would agree - you are probably not qualified to assess mental illness. My earlier point stands though, it's not something you should even attempt to do so from a one sided news article and from statements which you can't even verify. 

When I use the term mental illness I am not trying to diagnose a medical condition. Just pointing out that anyone who acts like that obviously has a screw loose. Anyone trying to imply the actions of these people were totally rational is simply wrong in my opinion.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

11 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Hopefully we can all agree that their behaviour is not normal and hope they obtain the help they need to address their issues whatever technical term you use to describe them.

And that is the exact point I was trying to make.

9 minutes ago, Randyandyuni said:

I don't remember claiming to be anything other than a poster, feel free to clarify what I meant ... you speak with what authority?

Ignoring personal boundaries because you feel entitled to is narcissistic behavior

That is still not narcissistic behavior, but go ahead and keep posting whatever you like...

Feeling entitled to something is not always narcissistic.

Edited by bcking

Got a question for all the mental health professionals here. If you came across someone who feared another person simply because of a hat they wear and the state they come from to the point they feel the need to go through that person's private property would you honestly consider that normal behavior?

8 minutes ago, jg121783 said:

Apple's and oranges. If you had a group of 5 republicans renting a house with a Democrat and the republicans got triggered by an Obama shirt or something like that and decided to go through the personal belongings of the Democrat THAT would be the same thing.

When I use the term mental illness I am not trying to diagnose a medical condition. Just pointing out that anyone who acts like that obviously has a screw loose. Anyone trying to imply the actions of these people were totally rational is simply wrong in my opinion.

No one said there actions were totally rational. Neither side is acting that way, however that does not imply a mental disorder. Neither side wants to be in the situation and fortunately one or the other side is free to leave. I always insist on a buyout clause in a lease for this specific reason. As I said, I've never had roommates myself but screening for compatible behavior before hand is a necessity. I'm sure they have all learned that now.

6 minutes ago, jg121783 said:

Got a question for all the mental health professionals here. If you came across someone who feared another person simply because of a hat they wear and the state they come from to the point they feel the need to go through that person's private property would you honestly consider that normal behavior?

Well, I'm no longer a "mental health professional", but the question you ask is something I've already explained to you twice in this thread.

Edited by Steeleballz

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
5 minutes ago, jg121783 said:

If it does go to Court, wonder what the defense would be?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

If it does go to Court, wonder what the defense would be?

Legally, the lease would have to give the person sole rights to a specific room to prohibit anyone else from entering. This is uncommon, and it's usually just a verbal agreement. Circumventing a lock without a key could also cause a legal issue. Other than that it would be unlikely to see a court room.