Derik-Lina

AP and DS-5535 Possible Solutions

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi there,

Is it true that Applicants are put on Long AP and/or given the DS-5535 form only because they are from a certain city or region?

Is it true that Applicants are handed the DS-5535 and/or placed on AP before they interview? Someone other than the CO handles such?

Some Potential Immigrants have said they are asked for their Local Id's and singled out based on their Residence or Birthplace.

There might be some light at the end of the tunnel here. A group of National Attorneys are gathering information in order to 

explore some options. I am afraid I do not know anything more, but I promised to share my findings with one member of the Legal team.

Honest-Love-Respect

Timeline

After I wrote a response I am erasing it as I dont want my words here being shared with any legal team I am not privy to 

Edited by EandH0904

Timeline
3 minutes ago, EandH0904 said:

A lot of people get the DS5535 from varying cities. If anything, I've noticed a trend mostly with (1) people from Fez (but Agadir, Rabat other areas too) and (2) people who have traveled out of Morocco.  

I too have seen the posts from lawyers saying they successfully navigated the DS5535 after it was obtained during interview but I'm not sure how much of this is lawyer related to just waiting out the process.  Most people who get the DS5535 do get approved after (boards I'm part of in Darija dont indicate anyone who has gotten it has been denied after) but it's a 9-16 month wait. 

So if they hire a lawyer and get approved...chances are they were going to after the DS5535 was processed anyway so 🤷🏻‍♀️

The Legal team  has been hired by Prestigious, Ivy league and other Schools. Plenty of Money and Scholars have been affected. They have missed conferences and important Events. Research is losing Brains to Australia, Japan and Germany due to the new Bureaucracy. I feel spouses are at the bottom of the barrel here, but we can all benefit. Totally understandable we must know ensure the new Immigrants have no ill ideas, but there must be a much better system, unless there is another idea behind it all. In addition, Tourism from Car rentals to Hotels have approached Congress to find a better system. My post is mainly to find out if it is True People are asked for their hometowns, and based on that only, before meeting the CO, they are put on AP and Designated for the Ds-5535. My understanding is that the CO only and only they make that call. Please let me know your thoughts or look into it. A lady on the Darija Fb page, swears a clerk asks for Id s and makes that decision and that Consul apologized and said it was the DOS decision. The attorney I am in contact with found it bizarre and Illegal, his words. 

Honest-Love-Respect

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Derik-Lina said:

. A lady on the Darija Fb page, swears a clerk asks for Id s and makes that decision and that Consul apologized and said it was the DOS decision. The attorney I am in contact with found it bizarre and Illegal, his words. 

In Morocco your address is in your passport.  It's on the DS260. The 130. They dont need an ID to find out where you live they already have all your info 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, EandH0904 said:

In Morocco your address is in your passport.  It's on the DS260. The 130. They dont need an ID to find out where you live they already have all your info 

Exactly what I said. 

Honest-Love-Respect

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I don't think any of us will ever truely know the answer to this. But as mentioned above, people from the Fez region are not the only applicants in Morocco who have been asked to submit the DS-5535. And Morocco isn't the only country to request the DS-5535 from visa applicants. So it can't just be a home town/region thing that is flagged for additional review.

I agree with the thought that lawyers, while some have claimed to have successfully sued or have caused quicker processing time, have not actually proven to be more effective than just waiting out the AP. Of course they want to attract new clients, so they'll use the approvals as a selling point, whether they had an influence over it or not. 

I think the DS-5535 is one of those mysteries of USCIS that we likely won't ever know the actual and factual details behind. 

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

Timeline
2 hours ago, RJandHamid said:

I don't think any of us will ever truely know the answer to this. But as mentioned above, people from the Fez region are not the only applicants in Morocco who have been asked to submit the DS-5535. And Morocco isn't the only country to request the DS-5535 from visa applicants. So it can't just be a home town/region thing that is flagged for additional review.

I agree with the thought that lawyers, while some have claimed to have successfully sued or have caused quicker processing time, have not actually proven to be more effective than just waiting out the AP. Of course they want to attract new clients, so they'll use the approvals as a selling point, whether they had an influence over it or not. 

I think the DS-5535 is one of those mysteries of USCIS that we likely won't ever know the actual and factual details behind. 

According to my Legal Source, the main reason behind the lengthy delays is the miscommunication between Agencies;

He gives an example of how the Investigations bounce back and forth between DHS and DOS. Personally, I am 100% for 

the Extreme Vetting, however, I am not for the long waiting periods. There must be a better and faster System to allow people 

to go on with their lives as in reuniting with loved ones or attending School or Work. 

Honest-Love-Respect

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

According to the facebook page for DS 5535 in morocco it is Fes and cities north 

hoping your wife will pass the 18th interview with no form and u can report successful visa

I do know the DS 5535 is taking a year to clear a person 

seems to me that this new form will weigh Homeland Security down sooner or later and they will be the first to complain

Timeline
20 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

According to the facebook page for DS 5535 in morocco it is Fes and cities north 

hoping your wife will pass the 18th interview with no form and u can report successful visa

I do know the DS 5535 is taking a year to clear a person 

seems to me that this new form will weigh Homeland Security down sooner or later and they will be the first to complain

More like 18 months now :( We are doomed if people are held back just because they are from a certain region and not based on who they are and what they present. But, we remain positive and strong believers that the system is fair and honest. Nshlah I will come back here to report a positive outcome and prove that FB group wrong :) 

Honest-Love-Respect

Timeline
14 hours ago, Derik-Lina said:

Hi there,

Is it true that Applicants are put on Long AP and/or given the DS-5535 form only because they are from a certain city or region?

Is it true that Applicants are handed the DS-5535 and/or placed on AP before they interview? Someone other than the CO handles such?

Some Potential Immigrants have said they are asked for their Local Id's and singled out based on their Residence or Birthplace.

There might be some light at the end of the tunnel here. A group of National Attorneys are gathering information in order to 

explore some options. I am afraid I do not know anything more, but I promised to share my findings with one member of the Legal team.

I've wondered about this...my husband lives in Oued Zem and although nothing major has happened out of that city in a long time (Massacre of 1955), it has been called 'the capital of the "sextortion" industry' and I read about a terrorist group member being arrested there....all this worries me. My husband and others shouldn't be punished for the terror acts of others. He's a good man who works and takes care of his parents.

we only just got word of the petition  being approved two days ago so we're not at the interview stage yet but I just worry.

Edited by PersaisX

Marriage :

2018-04-19

I-130 Sent :

2018-05-18

I-130 NOA1 :

2018-05-22

I-130 Approved :

2018-11-28

NVC Received :

2019-01-03

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill :

2019-02-20

Pay AOS Bill :

2019-02-20

Send AOS Package :

2019-03-05

Receive IV Bill :

2019-02-20

Pay IV Bill :

2019-02-20

Send IV Package :

2019-03-05

Case Completed:                      

Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter :

Interview :

2019-03-15

2019-04-11

2019-05-21

APPROVED

Timeline
38 minutes ago, PersaisX said:

I've wondered about this...my husband lives in Oued Zem and although nothing major has happened out of that city in a long time (Massacre of 1955), it has been called 'the capital of the "sextortion" industry' and I read about a terrorist group member being arrested there....all this worries me. My husband and others shouldn't be punished for the terror acts of others. He's a good man who works and takes care of his parents.

we only just got word of the petition  being approved two days ago so we're not at the interview stage yet but I just worry.

Well, I doubt the process will remain this lengthy. As aril-rafa states above, the people in charge are overwhelmed too.

IOW, there will always be Extreme Vetting, but in much faster manners. At least, I hope so… And you being so far from the Interview date, you might just get lucky with a speedy process nshlah…. The main thing here is that the Extreme Vetting or any security measures are a must and totally acceptable. The issue is the lengthy waiting periods of time; Some are missing out on watching their children grow, or just being together as any other couple or family.

Honest-Love-Respect

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
48 minutes ago, PersaisX said:

Oued Zem is south of Casa  /  i know as i traveled to Beni Malli

this DS5535 seems to be targeted at northern Morocco

and unforunately it is like elementary school when we were all punished because of one person

hopefully all will go good for your petition

incha allah

Timeline
1 minute ago, adil-rafa said:

Oued Zem is south of Casa  /  i know as i traveled to Beni Malli

this DS5535 seems to be targeted at northern Morocco

and unforunately it is like elementary school when we were all punished because of one person

hopefully all will go good for your petition

incha allah

Ahh I see..

Inshallah. Thank you.

Marriage :

2018-04-19

I-130 Sent :

2018-05-18

I-130 NOA1 :

2018-05-22

I-130 Approved :

2018-11-28

NVC Received :

2019-01-03

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill :

2019-02-20

Pay AOS Bill :

2019-02-20

Send AOS Package :

2019-03-05

Receive IV Bill :

2019-02-20

Pay IV Bill :

2019-02-20

Send IV Package :

2019-03-05

Case Completed:                      

Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter :

Interview :

2019-03-15

2019-04-11

2019-05-21

APPROVED

Timeline
21 hours ago, EandH0904 said:

After I wrote a response I am erasing it as I dont want my words here being shared with any legal team I am not privy to 

Privy to? No secrets here. Please elaborate if you can...

Edited by Derik-Lina

Honest-Love-Respect

Nobody knows exactly what triggers a DS-5535 to be requested. There are certainly a lot of common factors in many cases,. such as country/region, visits to certain regions, line of work (i.e. STEM fields, working with the military, government, or certain types of restricted fields), etc. There's also a level of randomness...people that apparently have no common traits as those that get a DS-5535 sometimes get one. Not everyone with those traits gets one.

How long it takes from DS-5535 being received to when a visa is issued or refused also seems to vary heavily.

Unfortunately, it's just a black box right now. I'm all for the legal team getting more info to support transparency - i.e. factors for being issued the DS-5535, factors contributing to the delay, etc.

17 minutes ago, Derik-Lina said:

Privy to? No secrets here. Please elaborate if you can...

I could be wrong, but I read that as he didn't want his statements to be interpreted or used by a legal team or in a legal argument without knowing the specifics of the case and arguments being made.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.