Umka36

Mom suing U.S. government for $60 million after toddler dies following 'neglectful' immigration detainment

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm sadden the child died, however they were released 6 weeks prior to her death so it's the US governments fault and for $60 million.

Six days after Yazmin Juarez and her 19-month-old daughter, Mariee, entered a U.S. immigration facility in Dilley, Texas, the toddler developed a severe respiratory infection. Six weeks after the two were released, Mariee died of the illness. Now Yazmin has filed a wrongful death claim in which she seeks $60 million from the U.S. government, citing conditions that are “unsafe, unsanitary, and inappropriate for small children,” according to the claim. It called the medical care she received, “woefully inadequate, neglectful, and substandard.”

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/mom-suing-u-s-government-60-million-toddler-dies-following-neglectful-immigration-detainment-140819000.html

26 minutes ago, Umka36 said:

I'm sadden the child died, however they were released 6 weeks prior to her death so it's the US governments fault and for $60 million.

Six days after Yazmin Juarez and her 19-month-old daughter, Mariee, entered a U.S. immigration facility in Dilley, Texas, the toddler developed a severe respiratory infection. Six weeks after the two were released, Mariee died of the illness. Now Yazmin has filed a wrongful death claim in which she seeks $60 million from the U.S. government, citing conditions that are “unsafe, unsanitary, and inappropriate for small children,” according to the claim. It called the medical care she received, “woefully inadequate, neglectful, and substandard.”

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/mom-suing-u-s-government-60-million-toddler-dies-following-neglectful-immigration-detainment-140819000.html

This is exactly what everyone has been talking about for some time now in regard to so called "good parents" bringing their children up to the USA. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I wonder what the lawyers take is.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

22 hours ago, Umka36 said:

The article linked doesn't completely explain the circumstances, but it states the mom sought medical attention in Jersey, then the child was transferred to CHOP before passing away. She didn't wait 6 weeks to seek medical attention.

I thought I had read in a similar article yesterday that the mom sought medical attention within a week after leaving the facility (and immediately after arriving in Jersey), but I can't find that article now. She could have been in the PICU for 5 weeks prior to her death. That isn't uncommon. We have a lot of tools to keep patients "alive" for an extended period of time before their passing.

The cause of death is listed as "respiratory failure" in the article, which probably comes from the death certificate. What is written on a death certificate is not at all an accurate portrayal of cause of death. Respiratory failure caused her death, but what caused the respiratory failure? She ultimately ended up at one of the best Children's Hospitals in the country, but again without knowing the actual cause of death (or you could say the contributing factors) I can't say whether earlier treatment would have changed the outcome. 

42 minutes ago, bcking said:

The article linked doesn't completely explain the circumstances, but it states the mom sought medical attention in Jersey, then the child was transferred to CHOP before passing away. She didn't wait 6 weeks to seek medical attention.

I thought I had read in a similar article yesterday that the mom sought medical attention within a week after leaving the facility (and immediately after arriving in Jersey), but I can't find that article now. She could have been in the PICU for 5 weeks prior to her death. That isn't uncommon. We have a lot of tools to keep patients "alive" for an extended period of time before their passing.

The cause of death is listed as "respiratory failure" in the article, which probably comes from the death certificate. What is written on a death certificate is not at all an accurate portrayal of cause of death. Respiratory failure caused her death, but what caused the respiratory failure? She ultimately ended up at one of the best Children's Hospitals in the country, but again without knowing the actual cause of death (or you could say the contributing factors) I can't say whether earlier treatment would have changed the outcome. 

Respiratory failure secondary to pneumonia. I also saw bronchiectasis, pulmonitis and a collapsed lung listed somewhere as contributing to death. The infection was viral listed as adenovirus and parainfluenza type III. 

All in all I would say if the child was released from detention with a fever of 104, N+V, diarrhea and respiratory distress as the lawsuit states, she should have been receiving treatment at that time. It may not have changed the outcome if treatment was started earlier, but there wouldn't have been grounds for a lawsuit based on negligence.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

2 hours ago, bcking said:

I also saw something similar mentioned about this case.

From a New Jersey article:

The two were transferred to Dilley a few days later and assigned to a room with five other mothers and several sick children, according to the notice. Within a week, Mariee had congestion and a cough.

A physician assistant diagnosed an acute upper respiratory infection in the girl on March 11. The next day, Mariee was running a fever of more than 104 degrees, coughing, vomiting and suffering from diarrhea. Another physician assistant diagnosed an ear infection and acute bronchiolitis and prescribed medication, according to the notice.

After Mariee’s breathing problems worsened, Juárez claims she sought medical attention for her daughter multiple times but was left waiting for hours in a crowded gymnasium and twice was turned away and told to wait for an appointment on a later day.

By March 15, Mariee had lost 8 percent of her body weight. The girl was prescribed more medication and was not seen by a physician until March 21, according to the notice.

The physician prescribed multiple medications, including Vicks VapoRub, which the notice alleges should not be used with children under 2 years old because it can cause respiratory distress. Two days later, Mariee was vomiting clear liquid.

On a final visit with a nurse at the detention center on March 23, Mariee’s bloodshot eyes indicated she had adenovirus but the nurse made no note of it, according to the notice. The nurse told Juárez that Mariee would be referred to a doctor but she never saw one before being discharged from Dilley two days later.

ICE medical records show that a nurse medically cleared Mariee for release on March 25 despite not being legally qualified to make such a determination, the notice alleges.

On March 26, a day after landing at Newark Liberty International Airport, Juárez rushed her daughter to a hospital in Edison. She was diagnosed with bacterial pneumonia, adenovirus and parainfluenza.

Mariee spent the next six weeks sedated and on a ventilator in New Jersey and Philadelphia hospitals. She suffered a fatal hemorrhage on May 10.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/2018/11/29/mother-sue-u-s-government-toddler-dies-after-immigration-facility/2138127002/ I think the facts involving this case are pretty clear. She failed to receive proper medical attention when she needed it, and as a result died a horrible death. Her six weeks of remaining life were spent on a ventilator in intensive care. Her mother was not neglectful.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 3:14 PM, Cyberfx1024 said:

This is exactly what everyone has been talking about for some time now in regard to so called "good parents" bringing their children up to the USA. 

Please read the article above regarding the case. I know it's easy to point the finger when someone has come here illegally, but a child suffered greatly, and upon their release from ICE, the mother did everything she could for her daughter... she has a pretty good case I think at least. I am curious what medications ICE doctors or nurses may have given.. it doesn't sound like it was anything that was working. Vicks Vapor Rub and cough meds isn't going to cut it. She really needed a hospital and proper medical attention.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

11 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

I also saw something similar mentioned about this case.

From a New Jersey article:

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/2018/11/29/mother-sue-u-s-government-toddler-dies-after-immigration-facility/2138127002/ I think the facts involving this case are pretty clear. She failed to receive proper medical attention when she needed it, and as a result died a horrible death. Her six weeks of remaining life were spent on a ventilator in intensive care. Her mother was not neglectful.

Please read the article above regarding the case. I know it's easy to point the finger when someone has come here illegally, but a child suffered greatly, and upon their release from ICE, the mother did everything she could for her daughter... she has a pretty good case I think at least.

Probably, but not $60 million. I wonder how her lawyers came up with that figure.

1 hour ago, Umka36 said:

Probably, but not $60 million. I wonder how her lawyers came up with that figure.

If you ever get sued for negligence and there's a death involved, don't be surprised by the monetary figure. It's always hard to attach a monetary value to a life lost, especially one so young. The actual value is priceless. According to my life insurance, mine life is only worth about $700,000 although I guess I came up with that number myself. When negligence is involved in death, I imagine there is a punitive value as well.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

1 hour ago, yuna628 said:

Please read the article above regarding the case. I know it's easy to point the finger when someone has come here illegally, but a child suffered greatly, and upon their release from ICE, the mother did everything she could for her daughter... she has a pretty good case I think at least. I am curious what medications ICE doctors or nurses may have given.. it doesn't sound like it was anything that was working. Vicks Vapor Rub and cough meds isn't going to cut it. She really needed a hospital and proper medical attention.

I read a different article earlier today and it mentioned nothing about her being on the ventilator for 6 weeks after their release. 

I would like to know as well what medications were given out. The other article I read said that "they were given medication but it did not work and then were released from custody". Also this article is obviously not written by a parent because they were using the motto that "Vicks vapor rub shouldn't be given to 2 year olds and below", when in reality this is done all the time with my 4 children even my now 22 month old. 

She might have a good case but it will be argued that the mother bringing the child from Central America sure didn't help her immune system at all. So it shouldn't be US's fault entirely.

5 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

If you ever get sued for negligence and there's a death involved, don't be surprised by the monetary figure. It's always hard to attach a monetary value to a life lost, especially one so young. The actual value is priceless. According to my life insurance, mine life is only worth about $700,000 although I guess I came up with that number myself. When negligence is involved in death, I imagine there is a punitive value as well.

It going to be a hard uphill battle fighting the US government. I think in the end, it's going to put a negative light on asylum seekers. That's just my opinion.

4 hours ago, bcking said:

So to summarize,  you dont know what happened,?